Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What trigger foods do you have to stay away from? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137893)

fishfish Fri, Sep-19-03 02:21

1. Nuts - mixed nuts or peanuts. I can not stop once I start.
2. Peanut Butter - I put it on celery.
3. "Low carb" products like Atkins brownies (which kill my stomach as punishment for having more than one).
4. Sugar free popsicles - only 3 grams of carbs per pop, but there are 12 in the box; impossible to stop at one!
5. Low carb bread, low carb tortillas.

I can't handle these things, so I rarely have them. When I really feel the strong urge, I indulge, and then the urge passes in a day or two. But I do not enjoy the feeling of being a little out of control.

Re: Dim Sum; I miss this alot. Had a big birthday a little over a month ago, and had planned to go to my favorite place and indulge (would have been my first "cheat" in about a year of LCing). When the day came, just didn't want it that badly. Dim Sum is so carby! Mmm, so good though.

dolli Fri, Sep-19-03 05:08

nuts,anything which hints of chocolate,crisps and bread.i don't feel deprived,i just know that to touch any of these things would set me back several steps and the only way i'm going is forward!when i reach goal weight/size then i will have the freshest baked bagel that i can find-and boy will i enjoy it!!!!
dolli

elmo Fri, Sep-19-03 05:23

Its licorice for me, one bite and I can eat the whole bag!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I haven't had any for over two months.

Janet

mfo Fri, Nov-07-03 11:13

Wine Is My Trigger Food

One of my main reasons for low carbing is to break my addiction of sweets, a.k.a. Glazed doughnuts and honeybuns. If I have a few glasses of wine I find that shortly after I have a ravenous craving for sweets. The alcohol jeopardizes my successful results then the sweets on top of that just ruins it. So....I have not had any with dinner this week and am not this weekend. So far I have had great results. I don't want to try again until I'm below 120.

Birddog Fri, Nov-07-03 11:20

Nuts and cheese. I just can't get enough. Makes me glad I have a teenage daughter. She will casually mention, "Mom isn't that you second helping of nuts" or ask "How many carbs have you had today?" :lol:

skibunnie Fri, Nov-07-03 11:27

Peanut butter, the store bought candy, soy milk, the atkins products (the muffins)

komireds Fri, Nov-07-03 11:44

Oh Man! It's def Indian food for me. I could eat Veggie somosas and motor ponir (sp?) for days.....

woolina Fri, Nov-07-03 12:02

I have a problem with nuts, peanuts are ok, I can stop with those, but cashews or macadamia nuts... I will get the measuring cup out and all of a sudden they disapear and I want more and I am not going to bring those into the house anymore!!!!

Another thing that has been driving me nuts lately is Krispy Kreme Doughnuts.... I think I have only had maybe one in my life, I had never even seen them before I moved to the south. But I saw a show on the food network (I know, why do I torture myself) called unwrapped, and they show how things are made and go through the factory's and talked about the difference in thier process vs. other donuts, and they had a thing on Krispy Kremes and I swear I didn't know I had smellivision, but I could smell them and I started having dreams and I was watching people bite into them.... OMG
I need to go for a walk now....

Lori H Fri, Nov-07-03 12:19

Yeah Woolina, the Krispy Kremes are the best doughnuts ever! I'm glad I live in a small town that doesn't have them available.

My trigger food is anything sweet, even the artificial kind. Splenda and saccharine in my decafe won't bother me but let me have a SF candy or Le Carb ice cream and I start wanting everything in sight. Have to leave them alone.

ESPNLady Fri, Nov-07-03 12:24

Nuts...whipped cream with Splenda. Macadamia nuts added to whipped cream with cocoa powder and Splenda...Did I mention NUTS? Not psuedo-nuts (Peanuts) but ...Almonds, Maca's, Walnuts. Oh! Almonds with a little butter, roasted in the over, sprinkled with Splenda and Cinnamon? Geez...don't get me started. :)

amtuamor22 Fri, Nov-07-03 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPNLady
Nuts...whipped cream with Splenda. Macadamia nuts added to whipped cream with cocoa powder and Splenda...Did I mention NUTS? Not psuedo-nuts (Peanuts) but ...Almonds, Maca's, Walnuts. Oh! Almonds with a little butter, roasted in the over, sprinkled with Splenda and Cinnamon? Geez...don't get me started. :)

mmmmmmmmmm........... :yum: now you made me hungry :lol:

babydoll23 Sat, Nov-15-03 17:26

low carb candy, one bite and it makes me nuts and i want to try to consume as much as possible (maybe cause the bars seem so dinky compared to a real candy bar)!

TarHeel Sat, Nov-15-03 17:50

I haven't broken down and eaten any, but I know that if I ate one potato chip or Cheeto, all my will power would dissolve in an instant. Or a Muncho. God, did I used to love Munchos......

I have caved three times in eight months and eaten fried food.....once part of an Out Back Bloomin' Onion, and twice fried clams. Fortunately, I'm not likely to recreate these foods at home.

Kay

judyr Sat, Nov-15-03 17:56

I really have a hard time with macaddmia nuts. I could eat the whole can! I know better than to taste chocolate. That has always been a problem food for me.

paradise Sat, Nov-15-03 17:59

Nuts, as everyone has mentioned above, and pork rinds/cracklins. Munching too much of those, combined with the salt, lead to major water retention for me. I've stopped buying pork rinds/cracklins.

beachmum Sat, Nov-15-03 21:20

Just reading this post is making me want to binge....on ALL of it!!! LOL!!!

potatofree Sat, Nov-15-03 21:39

Sugary cereal... or any cereal really.... I let my son choose his own cereal every third box, and without fail, he chooses something like Cinnamon Toast Crunch <drool> I got so desperate I actually TRIED the idea in the recip fourm involving pork rinds, butter, cinnamon and Splenda..."Tastes just like it" they said....<shudder>

Actually, his last choice was, of all things, Raisin Bran..<shrug> Next reward meal, I had to have some! I guess it beats Krispy Kremes, but it set me off just the same. I feel like sticking my head in like a feedbag!

cmorera Sun, Nov-16-03 01:37

-Peanut Butter (natural no sugar added, or regular, either one)

-Spaghetti (with Tomate sauce)

-Low Carb chocolate (lol, eat just one?)

-Pizza (this is an all time favorite from back in my day, so I am still partial to it, haven't had any lately though)

BTW I quit Splenda, caus I was having trouble with it, now I use a natural herb Stevia which I think is 10 times better, it doesn't throw your body into sugar withdrawl immediately like Splenda did.
I am considering mixing heavy creame, cocoa power and Stevia to make something delicious. Maybe throw in some Walnuts into there too as well.

BTW Walnuts are the only safe nut to eat, without sugar. Plus they have Omega-3 which is also beneficial.

jaybee007 Sun, Nov-16-03 06:00

LC ice cream is very much the devil in this house. The sugar alcohol in it really made me stall. OK, so I ate it in copius amounts during the summer, but I digress...lol

Hope1 Sun, Nov-16-03 06:31

I'm half Irish and half Italian. Guess my weakness. STARCH!!!!! Pasta, bread, potatoes, tortillas, orzo, cous cous, shells, scalloped, crumpets, mashed, toasted, fried, crunchy coatings, egg noodles, homemade dinner rolls, Ace baguettes, whole wheat pita and on and on and all covered with butter and cheese and cheese and butter and starch and yummy and...and...whew! I'm full.

Smudgie Sun, Nov-16-03 06:45

Unfortunately, most fruits do it for me, too. Blueberries and grapefruit are the only ones I can eat. No cereals, either. I can tolerate an occasional piece of bread, but even a small bowl of bran cereal for breakfast, makes me hungry all day long. :(

doreen T Sun, Nov-16-03 08:39

Crispy, salty, fried starch snack foods ... potato chips, nacho chips, Cheezies ... and it has to be the regular boiled in fat kind, none of that "baked not fried" horror. Who are they kidding???

It's strange, but I don't crave those things unless they're in front of me .. aroma is the trigger. At that point, self-control has been known to fly out the window, and my hand will move back and forth from bag to mouth like some mindless automaton, pre-programmed to gluttony.

It's easing up as time goes on, so there is hope. I've found that many once-craved foods simply do not live up to the memory. Except chips, at least .. not yet :daze:

Doreen

Frederick Sun, Nov-16-03 10:54

For me, it's got to be chocolate. I just think chocolate is far and away the single greatest flavor in the world. I've come to realize that lifetime abstinence from chocolate is neither realistic or desirable for me. So, from the to time, I've got to have my chocolate chunks, with chocolate ice cream topped with chocolate syrup, and washing them all down with a chocolate shake.

Another thing is pizza. I know many here have been able to stifle the urge with the pizza quiche--which I do find fabulous by the way. It's just that, for me, there is no substitute for the bread crust in pizza. I never realized how important simple things can be and that truly in most things I like, it's truly the little things which makes all the difference. Kind of like, that little dash of sugar in a cafe mocha, the bread in pizza, real pasta under alfredo, etc....that's what I miss most and probably triggers my zest to enjoy again all those culinary delights that were such a prevalent part of my daily eating experience.

angieK Sun, Nov-16-03 11:32

Some of the things I can't go near is Pizza, SF bars of any kind and breads. They are get me wanting more.
angie

Bebet Sun, Nov-16-03 11:48

I found out this week, pasta, and french bread, just one bite and everything gets shot to hell....salty chips and dip can get out of hand also.