Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   For those people on atkins for 1 month or longer - Hardest thing to give up? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137477)

serrelind Tue, Sep-16-03 12:13

It's weird but I don't really truly miss the stuff I used to love. I absolutely adored french bread and rice before.. now I can definitely say I don't have any cravings for french bread.. what I miss is what's inside my head.. my head still remembers what french bread tastes like.. so thankfully, i'd say my body has gotten very used to low-carb, gotten over the starchy food addiction, and so these urges to eat those things are definitely controllable.

My 2 binges since I started lowcarbing 2.5 months ago have not been towards rice, bread, or pasta. Instead, they were all fruits lol. How very strange! Anyone like that?

tomato Tue, Sep-16-03 12:19

I thought I was gonna go crazy without bread and pasta, but the one thing that I crave the most from time to time is cereal . . . oh yeah, Honey Nut Cheerios!!

Sooo good.

KetoBoy Tue, Sep-16-03 12:22

Well thankfully I no longer crave these things, but I do miss them:
French Bread
Pizza
Chinese Food
and as our buddy :doah: would say, "Mmmmmm donuts"

Rachelle Tue, Sep-16-03 12:27

I miss Eggrolls... nice big juicy greasy eggrolls.. :cry:
I also miss pasta that tastes like pasta...

and Tiramasu (spelled?)... if anyone has a low carb recipe for that... I will personally love you forever....

tomato Tue, Sep-16-03 12:33

I thought I was gonna go crazy without bread and pasta, but the one thing that I crave the most from time to time is cereal . . . oh yeah, Honey Nut Cheerios!!

Sooo good.

fishfish Tue, Sep-16-03 12:43

A fresh warm baguette with butter....Dim Sum....Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Blendeds (you SoCal people know what I am talking about); but I do occasionally indulge in the no-sugar added version.

usedtobero Tue, Sep-16-03 12:46

I have gotten around most things satifactorily...

Bread - but now i have discovered low carb bread im ok

Cereal - but now iI use Keto crunch

French fries -but I am going to try fried turmips,,

Ice cream - Atkins

Chocolate - the occasional russel stovers from the freezer seems to keep me happy.

.. so its probably fruit - i cant eat it as it really is a trigger for me even though I could probably take the carbs - apart from the odd strawberry i havent had any since beginning of june.

ALso caffe latte made with skim milk from starbucks and one of their orange scones!

But I always remember what my mum used to say when we were teens (not that we ever listened to her!!) "A moment on your lips - a life time on your hips!" - so I have no problem not eating them. I am much happier thinner than I was 22 lbs heavier and eating all that junk - I have to always remeber that.

Claire

vbrowne Tue, Sep-16-03 12:51

Rachelle - here you go for the Tiramasu recipe.
http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/dessert107.html

Vikki

Mizree Tue, Sep-16-03 12:55

I would have to say cereal and milk. I love cereal. I used to eat it for snacks or dinner. And not the kiddie kinds, I love Munchy crunchy "good for you" cereal. ...Oh yeah and Oreos :)

Birddog Tue, Sep-16-03 13:03

spuds

I have been doing Atkins for almost 2 years. The hardest thing for me to give up was potatoes. Baked, scalloped fried, mashed. I tried subing mashed potatoes with cauliflower but it didn't tasted anything like potatoes to me.

NickFender Tue, Sep-16-03 14:17

I really miss 'em all -- mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, good bread -- but the number one for me is tortilla chips with homemade salsa... I've tried low-carb veggies like celery with salsa and it just aint the same.

xcarbqueen Tue, Sep-16-03 14:40

Corona and pasta! I loved them both unfortunatly they didn't love me! or maybe they loved me too much to the tune of 30 lbs!

GreenEyezz Tue, Sep-16-03 15:28

Oh boy...........Wine, Coke and Fries with Ketchup.

MsMonty Tue, Sep-16-03 15:43

I eat out a lot and miss certain appetizers and *sigh* beer. I do have an occasional Mich Ultra.

MsMonty

armywife3 Tue, Sep-16-03 15:56

There are a lot of things I don't eat anymore that fall into the same category. For me it would have to be

BAKERY items (donuts, cupcakes,rolls etc.) anything bread related. I lived off of hostess cupcakes and anything like this. I used to eat a dozen hostess cake donuts with a gallon of pepsi for breakfast.

Also candy bars in particular reeses but those I don't even miss anymore too much.

I also miss milk...but I hate skim milk. I miss whole milk. I used to drink milk like water. I really miss milk a lot.

tholian8 Tue, Sep-16-03 15:56

BEER...especially, for me, the English bitters. My bad luck that I moved from Philly to LONDON!

<sigh>

Emily

armywife3 Tue, Sep-16-03 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMonty
I eat out a lot and miss certain appetizers and *sigh* beer. I do have an occasional Mich Ultra.

MsMonty

I did not give up beer. I just switched to the ultra and it has given me no problems at all.

armywife3 Tue, Sep-16-03 15:58

I FORGOT to say cereal!! I just don't even miss it anymore but I used to eat boatloads of cornflakes. I craved cereal so bad I would have to get up at 2 or 3 am and eat 3 bowls of cornflakes.

sunspine17 Tue, Sep-16-03 16:04

Yes! Every time the baby woke up in the middle of the night my "reward" was a bowl (or two or three) or Captain Crunch with Crunch berries! Sometimes she woke up 2-3 times a night! At the time I would have told you "But I NEED it. I helps me go back to sleep!" Yeah, right . . .

jaybee007 Tue, Sep-16-03 16:14

Caffeinated coffee. In fact i`ve yet to do it...lol

tholian8 Tue, Sep-16-03 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee007
Caffeinated coffee. In fact i`ve yet to do it...lol

Wow--my hat is off to you! I could not give up my coffee, even on Induction. (Couldn't give up booze either, which is why I'm calling my plan "Modified Atkins.")

I know my weight loss is going slower than it would have if I'd quit drinking coffee, wine and whisky. But it became a quality of life issue and I had to ask myself what was "sustainable" over the long term. :rolleyes:

Emily

shrtsh1t Tue, Sep-16-03 16:28

I have to say...and this is just keeling me thinking about it...but FRESH out of the oven Chocolate Chip Cookies...um...yeah.

Skyangel Tue, Sep-16-03 16:34

Bread, Cereal, Sweets ... I was so addicted to sugar.

I spent 4 days last week a a conference and came very close to weakening and having the cheesecake served for dessert one night, but finally resisted. I compensated with 2 cups of decaf coffee with cream and Splenda (took my own Splenda), made it home with 1 lb loss ...

Rachelle - pm me for a LC tiaramisu recipe

Kim

serrelind Tue, Sep-16-03 16:36

good for you for staying strong, Sky! :)

jmarionw Tue, Sep-16-03 18:02

Millstone columbian coffee with sugar and creamer. Chinese food (we have good buffets here!). And eating at the Bohemian Cafe - smoked sausage, dumplings, sweet and sour cabbage all covered with gravy, and their delicious rye bread and beer.

Swoozie Tue, Sep-16-03 18:13

It's going to sound strange, but for about the first 4 months all I wanted was a purple gumball. My wonderful husband finally came home with a box of vitaballs (vitamins for kids...in gumball form!) and only 4 carbs! It's the best 4 carbs I've ever eaten!!
Suzy :)

Michael_R Tue, Sep-16-03 20:28

I miss in the most horrible way virtually everything on a chinese buffet... lo mein and fried rice the most!

Dstar96920 Tue, Sep-16-03 21:22

I really want some Doritos. I remember them as being so wonderful. They are like a dream to me now...I remember eating them all the time, back when I was much much heavier and miserable. Don't miss em so much now :)

intastella Tue, Sep-16-03 21:22

I find that I rarely crave anything high carb anymore, and I am not tempted by them either...BUT, when the holidays roll around, I think it will be hard to pass up homemade stuffing and my moms amazing christmas cookies!

Paradox Tue, Sep-16-03 23:53

p a s t a . . .

when you marry way young, and live from day to day not knowing when your next meal will come, or the money to buy it, pasta becomes the absolute cheapest and most filling way to eat next to rice and beans. i have eaten pasta in some form (and believe me i have come up with HUNDREDS of yummy and creative and "healthy" *ahem* ways of serving the stuff) almost every day for years because it was about the cheapest thing you can buy. what's cheaper, a case of store-brand macaroni and cheese on sale, or enough fresh veggies for one day? DING! you got it! the nasty pasta with nasty additives. i could make it taste good though, i have a knack. and before you knew it, i had an addiction too... now it is challenging to have the main staple of my diet removed. we could never really afford to buy meat, but chopped up small and stirred in with pasta, it goes a long way... most days i feel like i am eating the stir-ins (compare with how you might feel about eating a dishful of ketchup and you'll know kinda what i'm talking about) with the meal missing. :lol: anyways, that's what i miss. the THOUGHT of trying to go to my husband's fave restaurant (the "OLIVE GARDEN-" might as well call it the "EVIL DEN OF CARB-MONGERS," or the "GET-FAT-QUICK GARDEN") makes me feel shaky and weak. why is it his favorite? because i can cook everything on the %#^~ menu at home but he doesn't have to do the dishes afterwards!! arrrghh!!!!!