Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   crying my eyes out.... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=127900)

drchickon Mon, Aug-04-03 15:14

I was just asking because I have been thinking of getting the Accel too. :)

gatsbyjas Mon, Aug-04-03 15:16

well, i just looked on the atkins site, and it didn't have a little "#1" in the squares ( meaning not for induction) but, i also have heard of people using it. its not cheap, but its got a few key ingredients that i keep hearing over and over (like green tea and chromium) i am going to do a little research.

Parasite Mon, Aug-04-03 15:27

From what I understand it is just an appetite suppressant - nothing more. Ok, it might have some good supplements. But it looks like your appetite is basically under control. Just need to adjust your menu a bit.

Check before you open it.

drchickon Mon, Aug-04-03 15:30

Hmm, if it is just an appetite suppressant, then I wouldn't need it. I have found a sharp decrease in appetite already...sometimes I have to make myself eat. But, I am curious - does it increase fat metabolism?

Parasite Mon, Aug-04-03 15:34

First let me say this: I have never used it and am not an expert.

Now what I hear is that it does not increase your metabolism. Boy do I wish it did, but maybe somebody has heard different.

gatsbyjas Mon, Aug-04-03 15:38

i saw it had chromium and green tea, which i had THOUGHT were to assist in the metabolism area, or fat burning or something?

drchickon Mon, Aug-04-03 15:38

Well, I have tried thermogenic pills before that were supposed to boost your metabolism and I didn't have much luck. I am taking the Basic #3 and having success, so I think I will wait on the Accel until I seem to need a push.

drchickon Mon, Aug-04-03 15:39

Yeah, I know that I have read that chromium is good for helping to burn fat...

gatsbyjas Mon, Aug-04-03 15:40

also, i ran a search for "accel" in the atkins.com site and found that they claim it affects your metabolism. actually i was intending to purchase green tea and chromium today, but found them both in accel, so i just bought that

Parasite Mon, Aug-04-03 15:46

I was just passing on what the store clerk told me. I was buying the Basic 3 and Oils at that time, so I decided to save the money - :)

This think of me as a homer with hair. :doah: I can repeat what I have been told, but I can be wrong (once and while).

Let us know what happens.

gatsbyjas Mon, Aug-04-03 15:51

i guess i'll try it, i just don't want to screw up induction. i can always save my bottle for later. should i hold off?

Karen Mon, Aug-04-03 16:12

Atkins does recommend chromium and green tea has an effect on weight loss. There's more info here:

Green Tea and Chromium

Karen

gatsbyjas Mon, Aug-04-03 16:18

thanks karen.. I'm feeling so much more positive than this morning. I think now that I know i have much to work, I can hope to start losing. THe more room for improvement the better, right?

jeantm Mon, Aug-04-03 16:35

you will definately have to let me know about this accel ,is it called you are starting? we do have just about identical stats. keep me up to date on how things work out with your eating, and i'll do the same (especially if either one of us figures out a way to break into the 140s...just returned from the gym and the scale said 151 so i feel your frustration even more). grrrrr gonna stay on this though
jean

gatsbyjas Mon, Aug-04-03 19:12

Jean,
I think I am going to try a multi-task approach to breaking into 140's: im going to switch cardio to the AM, start L-carnitine and Accel (today), and really up my veggies, also, im going to try and watch my fat/protein percentages, I had been veering away from high fat out of old habits. I started out today so depressed but I feel like i have a plan. Oh, and im going to try and max out my water consumption!!! :) let me know how yours goes... I spose we should be journaling or something...do you have a fitday account?

RamonaC Mon, Aug-04-03 19:36

I have lost 34 and a half since the last week of may and i am still on induction, i have never registered in ketosis. Dr atkins says some people dont, I never did. Those bars do stall you it happaned to me. Maybe you have a very high metabolic resistence, you should read the chapter in the book about it. It had hints that helped me. You really really have to eat only the foods that are allowed in induction. May i ask how much weight you need to lose, and if it was the same scale you weigh youself on all the time. Very important to always use the same scale. Good luck and i am sure you can figure out what is going wrong with all the help you will get here:)

gatsbyjas Mon, Aug-04-03 19:48

I would like to lose about 25 lbs, this is reasonable.. but I understand that I might be quite resistant. If I could lose ten or fifteen lbs and maintain on this WOE it would be more meaningful than a quick dip in weight followed by a yo-yo effect as in the past.

LadyBelle Mon, Aug-04-03 22:00

Get your body fat tested. As tall as you are and as athletic, you may be pushing your body too to low of a goal weight. You really don't want to lose lean muscle mass. I'm 3 inches shorter then you, and not near as active, yet I have a lean mass of 106. You can look online for some body fat calculators, just make sure to use one that takes your measurements too, not just your height and weight. I use the one at www.zoneperfect.com

Remember a healthy body fat percentage for women is around 20-25%. As you are more of an athlete you can maybe get down to around 17%. Find out what your current lean weight is though, so your not setting yourself up for either disapointment, or starving and losing muscle.

gatsbyjas Mon, Aug-04-03 22:07

most calculators say my bf is over 30%, regardless i have gained about 30 lbs in the last year, and I'd like to lose a portion of it. im realistic, but I also want to stop this trend of gaining weight that I have developed

jeantm Tue, Aug-05-03 07:49

hey, think i am going to start a journal today. i have a fitday account but it made me a bit to obsessed with everything i was eating, counting non stop driving friends and roomies crazy. i am giving it till my bday on friday and then maybe trying a meat fast or something like that
jean

gatsbyjas Tue, Aug-05-03 07:50

I am going to wait thru sat, then try a fat fast starting on sun. the parents will just HAVE to put up with it i guess

gatsbyjas Tue, Aug-05-03 07:53

feel free to look thru my fitday account, saturday and sunday werent good but i think most of my other days were ok