Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   why so much talk of cheating? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=124182)

Linda Love Sun, Jul-20-03 22:00

help

Can someone show me how to download my pic in my profile? :rolleyes:

amistad Mon, Jul-21-03 00:53

?

the rules of Atkins is already as such ... why deviated from it? that is, if you are doing the Atkins.

Saccharine Mon, Jul-21-03 07:11

Lindalove- click to change your profiile, (top right screen) then click "profile" on the next screen it brings you to. on the same page that you update your weight and such, near the bottom, should be a thing that says "change Avatar." you'll need to hit "browse" if you want to add your picture, but make sure you've scaled it down to 100x100 pixels, or it won't fit. to do that, you can open the picture in the Paint program available on most computers. :)

Linda Love Mon, Jul-21-03 08:17

Saccarine, Thanx

The instructions were telling me 300 x 300 and when I reduced my pic, it said it was too big. Now 100 x 100, ummm, let me try that. Thanx for the advice. :idea:

latoit Mon, Jul-21-03 08:46

Here's the thing:

I once posted a thread about cheating. I did it to get it off my chest and to get some reassurance. I got reassurance from a lot of people and that allowed me to jump back on board and get over it! It felt good. Sometimes you need to tell someone and I think when people write about the fact they have cheated, it maybe because they too need reassurance. I know I did.

In saying that, you may get tired of reading all the "I cheat" posts and that is understandable. But that is what this forum is all about. Everything and anything that you may encounter while doing this WOE. How many posts do you see about "ketosis", "gaining weight while eating the correct number of carbs", "not losing weight" etc. If you noticed, there are always several repeats of the same topic. I am quite sure you get tired of reading those over and over again. But that is what this forum is about. LIke someone else said, the best thing is to just skip the topic, and move on to something else you find interesting.

There are people that join this board every day, and maybe although you may get tired of reading one posts, does not mean someone who is new cannot learn from that post.

Good luck on your WOE!

SunCountry Mon, Jul-21-03 09:28

I agree. I think there are some of us who need to vent after falling off the wagon and need a hand to get back on. I think we also learn from each other what the pitfalls are so that we might avoid some of the same ones ourselves (or at least be better prepared). For example, a few weeks ago we went to Hershey park for the day. I did great, until we went for a tour of chocolate world. The smell of chocolate was pumped in. After a long ride where we were shown how chocolate was made, I was dying for chocolate and wolfed down the bar they gave you after the ride. Had a realized how bad this would be, I would have brought my own low carb bar to satisfy me.

On the other hand, there are a wide variety of low carb programs out there. We choose to follow Atkins, but a slip in one direction or another may be legal on another plan that works for others. I have seen some people on this board that do x days atkins and a few CAD or other plan per week. So planning a "cheat day" now and then, may really just be a day on another plan. For some this may work ok - for others not.

Those that cheat and then complain that they aren't losing need to realize that they can't have their cake and eat it too.

For some odd reason, cheating or falling off the wagon, helps me to appreciate this WOL more and gives me more resolve not to stray.

SC

motis Mon, Jul-21-03 10:25

The fact that so many people are supporting the original post upsets me. I'm wondering how many people needed support today, but were too uncomfortable to post in light of all the negativity.

A few people compared this to alcoholism. Ok, well think of this...what if a recovering alcoholic were to call his/her sponser and said "I'm feeling weak today. I think I'm going to take a drink." And the sponser replied, "Hey! I'm sick and tired of this cheating crap. Don't call me anymore." Is that the way to keep the alcoholic on track, or do you think it would be even more likely to make him take that drink?

People with weight problems are made to feel worthless enough in the "real" world. There is no need to belittle our shortcomings here. The best thing you can do is be supportive. No, there is no need to coddle someone. It can be done with tough love, too. Sometimes people need to be told to get back on track and get their butt in gear. But they will never recieve that if they aren't allowed to post freely without fear of being ridiculed simply for posting their feelings.

So, I'm sorry that it bothers so many of you, but if anyone wants to post about their bad days then I'll still be listening.

~Angi~

MocaGyrl Mon, Jul-21-03 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpeppa
well like I said, I don't understand it. this WOL is so satisfying - I eat all I want (which isn't a lot bec the types of foods we eat make me full fast) and I don't get hungry. I don't get cravings, feel bloated or lethargic. I don't know why people would plan a cheat.

It's so simple - you cheat, you will not lose weight.

You are one of the very lucky people. For me, what I don't understand is ppl who don't have cravings. I've always had 'em, maybe not so strong in the beginning, but I'm a sugar addict, so they exist. When I hear ppl say they got through Induction & lost any & all cravings, I say, what? huh? But I'm realizing not everyone is addicted to the same things, or anything at all. Very lucky people indeed!

I disagree with your last statement, bc I've cheated & lost weight. And many ppl refeed & lose weight. Maybe those who do this are addicts. So you have no cravings, which is an enviable quality. I have cravings, yet I can cheat & lose, which is an enviable quality - We all get a chance at being lucky!

JeannieM Mon, Jul-21-03 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina
Same here. No going back for me. After almost six months I can't even think of an illegal food I would like to have....

Alina

I would have heartily agreed -- until yesterday when I was on a plane flying from Portland to SF and they served oatmeal-raisin cookies. I REALLY wanted one. Thank goodness I had a can of roasted almonds in my bag. They weren't QUITE the same as oatmeal cookies, but it felt good to overcome temptation. :)

Jeannie