Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   I can feel the success (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=98807)

slimdream Mon, Apr-21-03 10:26

is it ok to stay on induction?

i have a significant amount of weight to lose and would like to know if i can stay on induction for most of my weight loss instead of going through the second phase.. i dont really miss carbs when i dont have them around but take me out to eat.. there is sure to be trouble.. i started induction last week then i went to a buffet with a friend for er b- day and it was downhill from there. would love to have some INSPIRATIONAL buddies to lose with, share stories and whatever.. my most important thing is to be able to run after my kids w/o feeling like im gonna die from a heart or asthma attack, and not to have my back feel as though its dropped into the ocean every morning. sometimes i dont even recognize myself, the weight came so fast, i'd swear i just woke up one morning and i was triple my original weight(yeah right) that is until i sit and think about where it all started. i dont want to be super thin. i just want to be comfortable and to feel like i have a waist instead of a tire.... help!

liz175 Mon, Apr-21-03 10:33

Re: is it ok to stay on induction?

Quote:
Originally posted by slimdream
i have a significant amount of weight to lose and would like to know if i can stay on induction for most of my weight loss instead of going through the second phase..

Hi Slimdream,

Welcome to the forum and the Triple Digits Club. Yes, it is safe to stay on induction for quite a while, but most people get bored with the food choices after a few weeks or months and want more variety. At some point before you reach your goal you need to cycle through all the phases of Atkins, but you can certainly wait until you have 20 or 30 pounds left to lose before doing that.

Why don't you do this one day and one week at a time? I have found that is the easiest way to approach losing a lot of weight. Instead of worrying about how long you are going to stay on induction, decide you are going to stay on induction for another week and then reevaluate at that time. If you decide now that you are going to stay on induction for six months, it could get overwhelming.

A lot of people stay near the induction level of carbs for long periods of time -- 20 grams of carbs a day -- but add in more food choices. I personally am more comfortable up closer to 30 grams of carbs a day. I do a lot of aerobic exercise and I get draggy if I don't have the extra carbs. The important thing is to learn to listen to your own body and to also figure out what will keep you motivated and help you make this a way of eating you can stick to for a long period of time. No one loses 100 pounds overnight.

Why don't you start a journal so you have a way of tracking your progress and figuring out what works best for you?

saski Mon, Apr-21-03 10:47

Welcome Slimdream!

Those buffets can be tricky! Now that you've been and you know what they have, maybe next time you can plan ahead which items are carb safe.

The only buffet style restaurant I've attempted so far, is a Mongolian barbeque place. That was actually quite easy to fit in a low carb plan. You just pick lots of meat and low carb vegetables and oils, and avoid the sauces, rice and noodles.

Good luck, and CONGRATULATIONS on your decision to low carb!