Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Major Change in Sleep Habit (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=96280)

Tiggerdy Thu, Apr-03-03 11:17

My bedtime and wake-up times are about the same as pre-Atkins, but there's been other significant changes.

* I find it hard to sleep in on the weekends- I just wake up a lot earlier and then I'm ready to go. Sleeping in now means staying in bed until 8:30am, unlike the 11:30am that it used to be. :p

* No more restless nights- I now get a solid 7-8 hrs. sleep and if I do wake up to pee or something, I fall right back to sleep.

* No more naps! I used to get home from work at 5pm, take a 45-60 min. nap and then go workout or cook dinner. I hardly ever made it through a week w/out at least 4-5 naps. :rolleyes:

I just love this WOL and all its benefits!

Nikki :daizy:

jamiessi Thu, Apr-03-03 12:52

I'm afraid I differ from the rest of you in this thread. I find I have trouble falling asleep more so in the first few weeks. I wake up frequently and have horrible leg cramps more so than normal too. Has any one else experienced this?

Tiggerdy Thu, Apr-03-03 14:08

Have you just started Atkins? If so, your body may be just adjusting to your new WOL as far as the restlessness goes. I felt the same for the first week or so and then once withdrawals were gone, I was fine again.

The legs cramps are another story. If I remember correctly, it's due to a loss of potassium in your system b/c the diet acts as a natural diuretic. Up your water and take potassium supplements- if you're not already. There's been many discussions on leg cramps- use the search function and see what others have had to say.

Good luck!
Nikki :daizy:

gotbeer Thu, Apr-03-03 17:14

On Atkins, I bound out of bed at 5-6 AM - scares the heck out the cats, especially when I use the extra time to vacuum the house. I haven't had this much energy in 20 years - one of the many reasons I love this WOE.

I used to drag out of bed when the alarm went off at 7:30.

As for bedtime, I can now drift off to sleep whenever I want, early or late - it used to take me a long time to fall asleep. My average sleeping time has decreased by at least an hour.

My 1st Friday night on induction (day 6) I stayed up partying at my favorite bar until 6 AM - I'm usually a pumpkin by 1 AM.

garyc Thu, Apr-03-03 18:05

Deep sleep and dreams

After three weeks on the diet I must say my sleep and dream habits have changed significantly. 6 to 7 hours is now more than enough sleep and vivid dreams are now the norm. It sure is great to fly again!
Also, changing to daylight saving time here in California will be easy this year as I now rise before the sun full of energy.