Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Need for 8 glasses of water a myth (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=93199)

Pooch Tue, Mar-18-03 20:52

Great/ I'll start drinking 8 beers a day instead.

Alina Tue, Mar-18-03 23:14

Very important!

I know from my doctor that while loosing weight the body has to get rid of toxins and not drinking extra water could be dangerous for the kidneys. Also eating more meat on this diet gives the kidneys more acids to get rid of.
For instance, my urin acids are slightly elevated since beginning of Atkins and my good doctor said they will eventually lower, but I have to drink a lot of water.
This is the process of loosing weight.
So, do we need water extra water on Atkins? YES!!! And he says so too.

Alina

KellyG5 Wed, Mar-19-03 05:37

Some one mentioned...do animals really drink alot of water???

I don't know how much they drink normally, but I have heard for the big drafts horsesm they give them lots of water. This is suppose to help define their muscles and look better for the shows. A man who raises and breed draft horses told me this years ago. He said, his horses are well defined because he give them lots of water. How much over normal? I don't know.

I have no proof, evidence, or facts to back this up...just an old farmer raising horses told me, lots of water makes strong horses.

spongebutt Sun, Mar-30-03 23:09

Not drink my water?

I find that if I don't drink my water I get dehydrated.

And if I get dehydrated then I retain water.

And if I retain water than guess what? My scale goes up or stays the same.

Hmmmm...think I'll stick with drinking my water.

karen25 Mon, Mar-31-03 08:59

Lessara
Does the fluid have to be water or could diet rite and coffee be counted as part of the total amount?
Thanks
Karen

claire3 Mon, Mar-31-03 08:59

water water water

I heard a similar story on Public Radio a few months ago. The doctor speaking said that a sedentary life style probably does not require 8 glasses of water a day. His research seemed to show that water requirements are directly related to activity. DUH? How people get funding for this stuff is amazing.

All our experiences would be dismissed by most scientists as anecdotal; but it certainly seems that most of us experience a measurable benefit from drinking at least 8 glasses a day.

My simple Norweigan grandmother trained her family to drink a full glass of water upon waking and each time we used the bathroom. he believed people needed to flush their systems daily. We are a remarkably healthy family. As a child we also ate a odified kind of Atkins diet. We did eat sweet things and breads but not with other foods. I got fat when I started eating the FDA way! Sorry veered off the water thing there...

Alina Mon, Mar-31-03 09:05

Hi Karen,

don't know about diet rite, don't use it. But tea and coffee are diuretics, they flush water out of the body - results == You need more water. I don't care what some experts say - since I've started drinking lots of pure water my skin improved, I feel more fit and this WOE works fine.
A

gkeenan Mon, Mar-31-03 09:21

I've really never been a big water drinker. For a few months (last year) I drank 112oz daily (1/2 my body weight) it just happened to be during my stall that I was drinking that much water...I do not think that drinking the water had anything at all to do with my stall...right now I drink a glass a day MAYBE...except when I am working out (which I start again tomorrow) I will drink LOTS of water at the gym at least 64oz on the treadmill alone, I often get in my daily 112oz by the time I'm done with the gym...it will be interesting to see if anything really changes starting tomorrow with the water...I certainly hope so! :D

Gail

sarabeth Mon, Mar-31-03 12:34

Ecstacy?

Why would they add that little comment about drinking water while using ecstacy? They know it's illegal anyway!