Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Burnt steak anyone? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=91679)

theresa113 Tue, Mar-11-03 18:03

You would think I would own a grill living in Florida. Came home tonight in 80 degree weather. :sunny: I sear my steaks in a cast iron pan then throw that pan in a 500 degree oven on broil for a few mintues. The best part is slapping some herb and garlic butter on top and watching it melt. YUM! :yum:

Arnie_g Tue, Mar-11-03 18:16

MMMMMMmmmmmm crispy meat!!!! My favorite....

I have a gas BBQ on the back deck, it is covered and so I use it all year. I use it just about every day. Almost all the meat in our house gets done on the BBQ. Its quick, easy and there are no dirty frying pans to clean after. I love my BBQ.

Arnie

janny Tue, Mar-11-03 18:16

Made some low carb bbq sauce today and forgot to shut it off when I answered my phone. Hmmmm, good thing it was non stick pan cause it came off real easy!!! :daze:
Jan P

KoKo Tue, Mar-11-03 18:17

Hey Theresea

I'm with you on those cast iron pans, I have at least 6 - one of them is grooved so you get your grill marks if you do steak. You know I find a well seasoned cast iron pan is way better than any non stick thing you can buy. I love the really hot even heat you can get with one and properly seasoned you don't burn or stick. :thup:

Redfallon Tue, Mar-11-03 18:19

Grill master

I may be in the minority here, but I grill a steak probably every other day. The tips I have are:

1. Use Matchlight coals - stack them in the center and light, no lighter fluid necessary. Leave the top of the grill open at this time.

2. When the coals are about 85-90% white/grey, then they are ready for your steak. This is when you can spread them out a bit.

3. When you put your steak on, if you have a grill that it adjustable, put it about 3/4 of the way up. Leave the steak on this first side for 15-20 mins. Close the grill top and make sure the vents are open. The open vents allow oxygen to go in and out and this keeps the coals hot longer.

4. After the first 15-20 mins, flip the steak over - you should only have to flip a steak once in the course of grilling. The original top side will be slightly brown, most likely with a bit of fluid/blood. The original bottom side will look like a steak that's done - it's pretty cool when it's got grill marks :D At this point, you can then put the adjustable grill all the way down since the coals will not be as hot as they were at first.

5. Check the steak every 5-7 mins. When it's done, you should be able to pick it up with tongs with nothing dripping off. You may also cut through it to see if it's done to your liking. I usually leave mine on until it's all cooked inside - if I'm really hungry, a little pink is fine for me.

Hope this helps everyone. This is from about 3 years of grilling experience - believe me, my first steaks came out a bit crispy, as well :lol:

Redfallon Tue, Mar-11-03 18:21

PS...

BTW, I don't like gas grills. Charcoal all the way for me! Mmmm gotta love the smell of good charcoal cooking away!

theresa113 Tue, Mar-11-03 21:07

Koko...

When I had a grill or when I went camping, I still used a cast iron pan. In fact my favorite one is about 15 years old and it is so well seasoned. I have thought about getting one with the grooves.

Redfallon...

Where in Florida? I am near Orlando.

:)

Redfallon Wed, Mar-12-03 06:53

Theresa, I'm in Jacksonville for now. I may be moving to Texas with my job, though. Will be closer to my family who is all there :)

Iowagirl Wed, Mar-12-03 08:49

That's it - I'm going to buy a cast iron pan. (Theresa - whip us up a steak before the shopping trip, I make a mean faux tato salad)

I'm for charcoal over gas grills. If there isn't an element of danger involved in cooking, I'm not interested.

JamesG Wed, Mar-12-03 09:03

I live in South Florida and grill/smoke all year round.
In my back yard I have 32qt turkey fryer, Gas Grill, Smoker, and a charcoal grill. (My wife thinks im nuts)

After many years and lots of steak toast... I personally find the best way to do steaks is on the highest heat possible with the lid open. This keeps the coals hot and the fire down. A little flare up is ok but if you close the lid you will wind up with an inferno ( at least I do :( ).

Actually the best way is in a cast iron pan in the house but way to much smoke for inside cooking (wife will throw me out) :(

Just my 2C... there are lots of other good ideas here as well.

Good luck and have fun grillin

theresa113 Wed, Mar-12-03 12:03

Red...

My sister lives in Jax as well.

Iowa...

You're on! :)