Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   No Meat No Dairy (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=90291)

caverjen Fri, Mar-07-03 19:42

vegan low-carb breakfast

I used to be a vegetarian and didn't eat eggs. Most of my breakfasts were high carb, but one low-carb breakfast I ate was scrambled tofu. I would saute onions, peppers and mushrooms in some olive oil until soft, then add tofu I had mashed with a fork. I would add tumeric for color and flavor (could use curry powder instead). This works best with the refrigerated water-pack firm or extra-firm tofu. Don't use the aseptic pack shelf-stable tofu for this.

The aseptic pack tofu does make good smoothies. Blend with protein powder and almond butter and berries. I have made a pudding consistency chocolate smoothie and topped it with berries - yum!

I also like the Gimme Lean vegan sausage. It tastes pretty close to the real thing. HTH.

Jen

Laczkoskie Fri, Mar-14-03 10:08

Hey Meg! I've been away. Sorry to take so long to get back here. Usually I have cottage cheese as a snack- good thought though to try it for breakfast----can't have it on fast days though, it's a dairy product. ...

Rustpot, You know, I've done the fast when needed- You are right, it's lent ...and I need a good fast now and then.!!

Jen, Great idea on the tofu. Inever thoought to scramble it. I used it on pizza (I wasn't lo-carbing then) No one knew the difference!! I'll try it. I usually make my own tofu. Found the recipe in a cookbook called "ten Talents" It's great- can't believe how eeasy it is compared to the price. Mary Lacz.

Meg_S Sat, Mar-15-03 09:48

Hey, just a quick note apologizing for my stupid post above! I let myself be distracted and forgot about the no dairy!

How about a salad or a veggie stirfry loaded with nuts?

I love french cut green beens with sliced almonds, or broccoli with sesame seeds. Another could be cauliflower "frittatas" sort of like a hash brown thing only with cauliflower subbing for potato. You can combine it with anything - protein powder, tofu etc. and season it up for flavour. Also, check out the "keto" products, like keto noodles etc.. I always eat them with olive oil and garlic and olives.

take care,
Meg

golfadkt Mon, Mar-17-03 16:43

fried cauliflower

how do you make fried cauliflower??

Laczkoskie Thu, Mar-20-03 21:05

hey Meg....

I made fresh green beans with almonds and lots of butter tonite. I forget that "butter" makes food taste so much better when used generously. So hard to make that a wol! All that lowfat brainwashing! I never was a margarine fan so it was very hard to "Skimp" on the butter.

For lunch I had buttered asparagus "al dente" mmmm. I probably went over my carbs just on veggies today.

went to the "Huckster" in town this morning. (Farmers back their trucks up to the sidewalk down town and sell veggies, flowers, meats etc. "fresh from the farm!" Today he had fresh string beans and fresh broccoli and fresh strawberries from Calif. MMMMM. Might freeze the strawb. though, I'm too tempted to have them now. I haven't gotten to my "Keto Loss " yet. Its just three lbs. lost 4 lbs gained. Im like a yo-yo. Congrats on you 100 o/o WOW You're such an example for everyone!! :Party: mary L.