Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Canadian made low carb chocolate (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=84816)

IslandGirl Thu, Feb-13-03 13:50

Quote:
Silly me, I had it in my head that this forum was supportive of people joining this WOL and learning about the great bounty of products/resources available to us............

Quote:
I feel like we just got a big smack for discussing a Canadian made product in the Canada forum!

Yup, that's why I provided all the short-form information about the different brands available right here in this thread AND gave a pointer to the Products forum in case anyone wanted to do more searching using the super-easy SEARCH feature...

It always surprises me when people take a perfectly well-intentioned and informative post, that took volunteer time and effort to put up, personally ... but hey, what can one do, only provide the best and most information one can. It beats ignoring people or giving them a hard time for trying to help.

Enjoy the info and the chocolate.

Ruralgurl Thu, Feb-13-03 15:01

Hi Islandgirl

Well I may be PMSing :D but I simply replied to Rikkes' post because it was concerning a Canadian made product in the Canada forum. Anytime I can support Canadian made I am all for it.
Your reply for the most part was great and I went on to check out the products section!
It was just the last note:
Quote:
welcome to all you new Canadian LCers to this active and informative website and forums. You will really enjoy it here, we've got lots of stuff to share with you that we've been collecting and discussing for more than 2 years now...

Many of us are not NEW to LCing (six yrs here). We have lots of knowledge and experience as well as having been involved in other forums. I tend to be too sensitive, but I am struggling here to keep my head out of the sand, and that last paragraph made me feel like I was on the outside looking into a elite LC clique.
I know you and all the other moderators work very hard at keeping this forum up and running. I am thankful to have discovered it last year. I have seen people point you out as the second most informative recipe gal next to Karen!! I know you know your stuff!
So no hard feelings. :(
P.S. I did run up to Shoppers for Ross's and they looked at me blankly ;) I will try London drugs, now thats Canadian! :D

IslandGirl Thu, Feb-13-03 15:36

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruralgurl
Many of us are not NEW to LCing (six yrs here). We have lots of knowledge and experience as well as having been involved in other forums. I tend to be too sensitive, but I am struggling here to keep my head out of the sand, and that last paragraph made me feel like I was on the outside looking into a elite LC clique.
P.S. I did run up to Shoppers for Ross's and they looked at me blankly ;) I will try London drugs, now thats Canadian! :D

Well, there's no way of knowing whether or not new-ish members HERE are new to LC or not, but I can tell you that 99%+ new-ish members ARE new to LC and I can only make my best guess. I'm sorry you're having a struggle but again, I can only guess based on experience. Congratulations on 6 years' worth of LC, I've only got 4.5 years in and I'm considered an 'old timer'! :eek: :devil: :eek:

By the way, I've found the SF chocolates, when in stock, in the 'diabetes supplies' section of the pharmacies, whether it be Shopper's, PharmaSave, London Drugs, Zellers or Walmart (ok, I did find a Whitman's SF Sampler box in Zellers in the Candies section once :devil: ). You might have better luck checking with the pharmacists who do the actual ordering and stocking of that section...rather than regular staff (and that's a guess, you didn't say who in particular you asked). Each store seems to be much on its own, too, as to what they stock... but if you push a bit they can and should check with head-office about availability of these items. They make corporate group contractual purchases to get the best prices and make them available to their stores, then the stores must do the actual ordering/stocking.

Good luck in your searches.

Rikke Thu, Feb-13-03 19:39

Thank you very much for your help Judi. Keep up the great work. :)

Suzan Fri, Feb-14-03 12:03

I bought the Ross bars at the Lifestyle Market on Douglas Street in Victoria for $1.39 Canadian. I couldn't believe it when I saw that the actual company wants to sell them for $1.65 US each (and they say that's a special price) plus you have to add shipping. I used to buy Atkins bars at GNC in Nanaimo for $5.99 Can$ each (but then I got 20% off 'cause I joined their club so they were down to $4.99.) Now I get them at a local Lifestyle type store (it's not Lifestyle Market but I can't remember the name) and I pay $2.48 Canadian. Fortunately now that more and more places are starting to carry the products in Canada there is some competition 'cause obviously someone was getting ripped off here.

Now hopefully I'm not in trouble for mentioning the US here. Somehow the phrase "don't sweat the small stuff" comes to mind when reading all the do's and don'ts on some of the threads.

bevvy5 Sun, Feb-16-03 01:25

Am I missing something?

I was looking at some Cavalier chocolate bars today at London Drugs, I think it was. I thought I read that they had 33 grams of carbs per bar. Did I read incorrectly or am I not reading something correctly?

Thanks

Bev

IslandGirl Mon, Feb-17-03 21:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Suzan
Now hopefully I'm not in trouble for mentioning the US here. Somehow the phrase "don't sweat the small stuff" comes to mind when reading all the do's and don'ts on some of the threads.

Hmmmm. What mention of the US?

There aren't any do's and don'ts, by the way, there are only tips and helpful suggestions on how to get a TON of useful information out of these Forums, vast as they are. That's the moderator's volunteer, unpaid job. Enjoy.

IslandGirl Mon, Feb-17-03 21:34

Quote:
Originally posted by bevvy5
Am I missing something? I was looking at some Cavalier chocolate bars today at London Drugs, I think it was. I thought I read that they had 33 grams of carbs per bar. Did I read incorrectly or am I not reading something correctly?

I haven't got one handy (not being in PMS mode right now, which is DEFINITELY when chocolate should be ingested :devil: ) but IF I remember correctly, the Cavalier Bar is large, at least 65g in weight and at least double the size of a Ross Bar. Depending on the flavour, too, the carbs for the entire bar will seem shocking, but doublecheck that label and you will see that the SERVING size is not the entire bar, as it IS in the Ross Bar.

Carbs per Serving is the thing to be looking out for...

Hope this helps.

Fergy66 Fri, Feb-21-03 08:27

Hi Rikke

I guess that's one more good reason to move to BC.
Chocolate we could eat :cheer:

Rikke Fri, Feb-21-03 16:14

You need more reasons to move here?! ;)

pgroves Sat, Feb-22-03 01:39

Gotta luv them Ross bars!

Howdy, folks!

At the risk of reiteration, I would like to plug the attached website. They're not only Canadian, they're Albertan! Cool!

They are square shooters: they missed my free bars on the first order but made it straight with my next. $1.99 CDN a bar with 1 free for ever 10 ordered AND free delivery in Canada!! Gotta luv it!

I'm lucky if I can keep my young-un away from my treats but I'd sooner he be indulging in these than a face full of Twinkies!
Those orange ones taste EXACTLY like Terry's Oranges (the one's you smash against anything that doesn't move!).

Enjoy!

TTFN,
Phil

http://www.lowcarb.netfirms.com/online_store_CAN.htm

Kathy54 Sat, Feb-22-03 11:07

I too visited the Lifestyle market, in Victoria, must say, I was very disappointed in it. I expected it to be bigger and have a great selection of l.c. things I wanted to try. Only found one thing that I can't get at Edible Island in Courtenay,(which is 3 times the size of L.S.M.) the orange choc bar for 1.39, was awesome).
jmho
I think those GNH (?) health stores are very expensive, anyone agree?
Cheers Kathy

Esther T Sat, Feb-22-03 14:42

Hi Kathy
I think you mean GNC. Not only are they expensive, I find the staff to be so pushy and not willing to listen at all. They are told to push a certain thing each week, and if you don't buy it, you are made to feel like a reject! That has been my experience, anyway. It would take a natural disaster for me to shop there again.
Lifestyle Markets has 3 locations in Victoria. I usually shop at the one on Douglas Street. I find that they are starting to carry a few more things. They also have a customer suggestion bulletin board. You can tell them what you want them to carry.
Give it a try next time you are in town.
Esther :wave:

Kathy54 Sun, Feb-23-03 00:19

Thanks, Esther, next time I'm down I'll try the one on Douglas, I had seen a flyer and the Cook street address had stuck in my mind, so I'm assuming it must be the smaller of the stores.
I'll be sure and watch for the Ross Choc's.

Cheers Kathy

jeanyyy Sat, Apr-05-03 18:11

Ross Choco in New Westminster/Burnaby

Just to add my $0.02 (at the risk of repeating), I found a variety of Ross chocolate bars (some labelled Delight) at People's Drug Mart in New Westminster BC, at the McBride and 8th Ave store. They were $1.59 each.

Also, Nutrition House at Lougheed Mall (they have another store in Surrey somewhere) had Pure De-Lite choco bars in various flavours for $1.99. The clerk told me that 2 ladies had come in and bought ALL the dark ones he had in stock! LOL However, the milk choco and mint ones were great!