Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Weekly grocery bill? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=76759)

DDMariana Fri, Dec-27-02 12:50

It's just me at home...and Jordi, my angel in the pussycat coat...his food is cheap, mine runs under $50. a week. I'm a starving student so I know how to make that buck stretch!

Plus I've been without an appetite for so long, I haven't had to keep replacing snacks and meats and cheeses! I have never noticed that this diet costs more than any other...I hear that from some, but a bed of lettuce and something on top is just the same as a bed of rice...

:wave:

Skamito Sun, Dec-29-02 02:04

I'm a workin student too, so I can advise that it is all about choices in LC that affect how much you spend. If I choose to buy expensive cuts of meat, designer low carb foods, etc. I can spend quite a bit.

In general, I'd say $60-$70 a week, but first of all, I'm in NYC so stuff is overpriced, even veggies, and if I want to I can stretch that to include some accessible, yummy lunches to bring to work. If you think about getting 18-20 meals out of $60 that's pretty good.

I usually go out to a meal or two every week as well. This can be cheap (throwing a bun off a burger), medium (a big chef salad), or expensive (steak and shrimp).

For your budget, you may want to factor in the lc treats you may want, like shake mix, cereals, and stuff like that. Can be pretty expensive if you have to mail order it, etc.

Hope this helps!

liz175 Sun, Dec-29-02 08:57

This thread made me feel better. I thought I was the only person spending outrageous amounts of money on groceries! We usually spent about $150 to $175 a week for a family that includes two adults and two teenagers (the teenage boy can really eat!). I'm the only one low carbing. This money includes toilet paper, cleaning supplies, shampoo, etc. I haven't ever tried to break it down by type of product.

In addition to the $150 to $175, my husband and I each buy lunch at work a few times a week. I usually buy the chef salad in our cafeteria ($5.95) or (when they have it -- which is rarely) the grilled chicken salad. We pack lunch the rest of the time. I also often have lunch time meetings where food is provided (a mixed blessing!). The kids are responsible for their own lunch. My 13-year-old usually packs lunch. My 17-year-old has a part-time job and either packs lunch (which means we pay for it) or spends his own money on buying lunch.

My husband teaches a course one night a week and I often buy the kids pizza that night (I make myself something low carb that no one else likes). I often work late one night a week and my husband usually buys the three of them Chinese food that night (since I won't eat it, it's their big opportunity). Aside from this, we eat out a few times a month, sometimes with the kids and sometimes just the two of us.

Miss Melis Thu, Jan-02-03 20:25

:wave:

thanks for all the information!

M-

Graham Fri, Jan-03-03 06:13

You lucky people

You lucky people if you lived in th UK your food bills would be at least 30% higher my bill for two people is = to about $210 a week.

Graham :wave:

vbrowne Fri, Jan-03-03 09:16

Myself and DH spend about $200 per week on groceries. That includes household stuff too. We buy a lot of meat and seafood. I make lunch for both of us each day, and occasionally I buy my salad from the grocery store after my workout at lunch. We've always spent this much, but I save a lot of money now, because I don't buy beer and wine, so in essense I am saving. Also, when I drank beer or wine, I'd get lazy and not cook, so after all the shopping, we'd order in or go out for dinner, that doesn't happen anymore either. Once every two weeks we do treat ourselves to a "planned" dinner out, running about $80.00 (DH still has adult beverages).