Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   No Comments Yet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=74693)

bluesmoke Fri, Dec-20-02 11:21

From personal experience and reading different boards it seems that the noticeability threshold is about 35 to 40 lbs. Don't despair, your time is coming. Nyah Levi

xandtrek Sat, Dec-21-02 20:45

The threshhold for people to notice my weight loss is 40-50 lbs. (I have lost over 100 pounds twice)

I agree that the clothes you wear make a difference. Once you purchase clothes that fit your new size, people will notice. If you are getting smaller under the same baggy clothes, it is just hard to tell.

For the most insensitive (or at least inattentive) viewer, a fat person is a fat person. My niece weighs about 200 lbs more than I do, is 12 years younger than I am, has flaming red hair (I have brown), and looks nothing like me. But I have been confused with her many times from family friends who just remember meeting a fat person once. For these people, weight loss before goal weight is irrelevant -- there are only 2 sizes: fat and skinny. Pity their closed minds.

windy Fri, Dec-27-02 20:45

Simon the pictures are a wonderful visual of the program. I will have to do that so I can see what it looks like. I do not really like to have my picture taken.

Have a good evening,

Windy

:clap:

mkathy6 Sat, Dec-28-02 05:31

I had posted earlier in the thread that I was disappointed that I haven't received any comments yet.

Well Christmas moring my BIL asked if I had lost weight!!!! I was so happy, it sooo made my Christmas and kept me on plan for the holiday as I was planning on relaxing a little.

I am happy to say I did not cheat one little comment kept me cheat free!!!

Kathy :roll:

windy Sat, Dec-28-02 07:50

Good for you Kathy. :bhug: A comment at the right time can really make a difference. I do get comments and have to admit it is a moral booster. We all need for people to notice that something is happening with us. I am quick to share the LC program and Curves.

I eagerly await the next month to see what has happened to my body and my mind. I think our mind has a lot to do with achieving our goals as well as woe.

We have our Christmas soup night tonight and I am all ready for it. I made sure I had plenty of the things I can eat.

Have a good day all, enjoy a good cup of coffee and get started on a wonderful day. :wave:

Windy(Linda)

mkathy6 Sat, Dec-28-02 09:21

Thank's Windy!

I'm happy to take compliments where ever they come from.

Just got back from Curves and I am eager to spread the good it does. The atmosphere is so nice and the people and staff are great. I'm trying hard to get my sister to join, but she has no interest. she is LCing and has lost 24 lbs. I have my best friend going to Curves but she isn't ready to start LCing. She keeps saying she will but truley it won't work until you are ready.

Hey everybit helps.

Kathy

jai Sat, Jan-18-03 17:25

WOW!!!!!!!!!! :thup:
30+ pounds down and the COMMENTS are rolling in. :roll:
Everyone from my doctor to people I haven't seen for a couple of weeks are commenting on my loss (and about time too).
I guess (as some have said earlier in this thread) 30+ pounds seems to be the noticable point for a 250+ pound person.
Everyone wants to know what I am doing and how they can get strated.
Thank you to everyone that has replied to this thread that I started on Dec 10 2002 after 4 weeks on Induction and a 20 pound loss. The extra 5 weeks made all the difference.
I'm sure this thread willl continue and my advise to everyone is -
"BE PATIENT" the comments will soon start.
Simon.

JeepGuy Sun, Jan-19-03 13:36

I guess I'm a little different...

Since I am losing the weight for me, I always feel weird when people give me compliments.

Don't get me wrong, I say "thanks" and I mean it, but I wish it would go unnoticed.

liz175 Tue, Jan-21-03 09:34

Simon, I am glad that people are finally noticing your weight loss! 30 pounds or so does seem to be the magic number.

Dan, I'm with you. Everyone I see comments on my weight loss and it is making me uncomfortable. I think there are two reasons for this: (1) as fat peope, we have learned to want to blend into the woodwork and go unnoticed, because when we are noticed it is usually for negative reasons; and (2) the inverse of commenting on how much weight we have lost is the unspoken statement about how fat we were when we started.

Vel Tue, Jan-21-03 10:51

No one has noticed here, either

I'm down 47lbs, and not one person who doesn't know that I am on a diet has noticed. I kind of like that. I can't blame them, since I am still wearing the same clothes (thanks to good old elastic waistbands, LOL) I like it because, sooner or later I will have to get some new, smaller clothes.. and then it will be noticable. It will seem like more, somehow.

Something else to look forward to :)

mkathy6 Thu, Jan-23-03 03:40

I'm still waiting for the comments to pour in - it is frustrating - I hit 32.5 lbs and I am very proud of myself.

My very tall thin sister who I haven't seen since Thanksgiving did say this weekend that she has seen a big difference -- In my face!
its good to lose in the face but what about my butt - my pants are hanging!!!

Vel has a point, I'm still wearing the same clothes - they fit they are elastic waists - although I bet I only have 20 more lbs with them. I just can't bring myself to buy new clothes when I'm losing because I won't be wearing them long.

Good luck all! :)

liz175 Thu, Jan-23-03 09:03

New clothes make all the difference! Every time I buy something new that fits, people start commenting on my weight loss. When I wear old big clothes with elastic waists, no one notices. If you want people to notice, get some new clothes. If you'd rather wait a while before you get comments, stick to the baggy ones.