Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   people who know nothing and give opinions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=71853)

Paleoanth Fri, Nov-22-02 08:25

This thread is cracking me up!!

I was actually one of those that poo poo'd the low carb eating plan. After I read some real research because MY DOCTOR told me to try this when I could not lose weight no matter what I did, I realized that my previous opinion was formed on hearsay and not actual fact. My mother and brother had already switched to a low carb way of eating and I had to admit to them I had been wrong, wrong, wrong! Especially after the weight started to come off and my blood tests showed remarkable improvement.

I am a fairly well educated individual and I cannot believe I had bought into all the anti-low carb hype without doing my own research into the topic. In my defense, there hadn't been many clinical studies until recently. As these studies increase, public opinion will change. By then I will be at my goal weight and will be wearing all my newly bought slut clothes!

Paleoanth

agonycat Fri, Nov-22-02 08:37

Yes this thread is quite humorous ;)

I think that is the point though. Instead of allowing people to stress you out over getting healthy, turn the tables on them and react with a sense of humor.

Perhaps with humor they will wonder "what in the heck do they know that I don't" and go study up. Enlightenment. It's the only way to go.

Keep the faith :) We know something they don't know!

WarmBreeze Sat, Nov-23-02 16:14

HERE IS SOMETHING THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU

Protein Intake and Kidney Function in Humans: Its Effect on 'Normal Aging'
Reference:
Blum, M., Averbuch, M., Wolman, Y., et al., "Protein Intake and Kidney Function in Humans: Its Effect on 'Normal Aging'," Archives of Internal Medicine, 149(1), 1989, pages 211-212.

Summary:
The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of dietary protein on kidney function. Creatinine levels were measured in 31 healthy subjects following an unrestricted protein diet (100 grams or more of protein per day) and compared with a group of 30 vegetarians on a long-term low-protein diet (30 grams or fewer of protein per day). Subjects who were on vegetarian diets did so for nine years or more. Subjects ranged in age from 30 to 80 years. Results revealed that there were no statistically significant differences in age, sex, weight and kidney function between the non-vegetarians and vegetarians. Both groups had similar kidney function and displayed the same rate of progressive deterioration in kidney function with age. The researchers concluded that, in contrast with the important therapeutic effect of low-protein intake on the progressive deterioration of kidney function in diseased kidneys, such a diet does not significantly affect kidney function with “norm aging” in healthy subjects.

Commentary:
The findings of this study can be applied to the Atkins Principle of Good Health. A controlled carbohydrate nutritional approach, which may tend to be high in dietary protein consumption, may not alter kidney function. Subjects in this study, consuming 100 grams of protein or more per day, had kidney function equivalent to those eating 30 grams of protein per day.

;)

agonycat Sat, Nov-23-02 16:17

I think the major point that should be remembered by all of us is

Atkin's is NOT a high protein diet. It is a high FAT diet. Making the exploding kidney a mute point.

tokenyanke Sat, Nov-23-02 19:30

Too funny! The things people say, eh? Well, I use to think LC was unsafe, too... back when I was brainwashed and listened to the general public rather than checking things out on my own. Now I know that LC is the way to live!

My mom found she had high cholesterol several months ago and about freaked out. She knew I had been LCing so she bought Protein Power and read it and asked me tons of questions about how I ate. She decided to try it and when she had her blood tests done a couple of weeks ago, her cholesterol had dropped from 259 to 161! She has been doing very moderate workouts and actually only cut her carbs down to around 160 gms per day, which is still pretty high for LCing, but it did the job and she has also lost 12 lbs. Her doctor was astounded and asked how in the world she did it!

I was thrilled last week to read about the study by Duke University(in N.Carolina)on the Atkins diet. They are finally giving Atkins and LC a chance and found out that it is much better than they ever gave it credit for! Sooner or later, I daresay the tables are going to turn bigtime and LC will be much more "normal" and accepted. And we are way ahead of them all!

tokenyanke Sat, Nov-23-02 19:36

and also...

My boss at work has been trying and trying to lose. She read my Protein Power book and claims she lost a lot of weight on Atkins years ago, but instead of trying either of those or another LC program, she tried Weight Watchers until she was sick of it and then decided to just count her calories and keep them around 1200-1300 per day. Well...

We had a dinner at work yesterday with fried turkey and all the fixin's. I ate salad, turkey and deviled eggs until I was satisfied. She ate some of everything in sight(including a plateful of desserts)and then went back mid-afternoon for another plateful of desserts and as she sat there eating, she said, "This is why I can't lose weight!" I still felt fine and wasn't hungry and had no cravings for all those sweets. I simply waited until last night for my RM and had a tiny taste of pecan pie... I'm sure her scales were up :thup: this morning while mine were :thdown: .
:D

Scarlet Sat, Nov-23-02 21:41

Re: Hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by PoofieD
Maybe we could counter about hearing about people with exploding pancreas on a high carb diet ..... ;-)

Exactly Poofie!