Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sugar Cravings: How Do You Fight Them? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=63479)

texastd Wed, Oct-02-02 19:02

Good going Momma. Today should be day 3 for you.
I know you can do it and will. I on week 2 and feeling great.
Not going to weigh in for a least a month. But know I am in ketosis. Nothing taste as good as thin feels. :spin:
Tammy

grandma Wed, Oct-02-02 19:26

sugar cravings

Hello,

I'm pretty new around here and lurk a lot but I had to respond to this post. I'm 54 and have been insulin resistant and sugar addicted for most of my life. Only in the last few years, have I begun to understand my problem. Now I fully understand insulin resistance and I am also pre-diabetic. I went to an MD who prescribed a medical food called UltraGlycemix, which after two weeks, effectively eliminates sugar and carb cravings. I have tried everything, and I mean everything else and I was ultra skeptical about this medical food shake, but to my delight it has been working. I won't say that I never eat sugar anymore, but it has halped me not to crave it and I am able to stay off carbs most of the time, i.e breads, potatoes, etc. I do eat some fruit, though. This medical food is sold by Metagenics. It is very expensive but works like a miracle. I have to take it 2x per day for 2 months, then just once per day after that. Probably for the rest of my life. It feels like a miracle to not be craving sugar and carbs all the time, after so many years of this.

Also, I have a question about those of you who have detoxed and are living sugar free. What do you do when you have guests over. We seem to entertain a lot and people EXPECT a sweet dessert when they go to someone's house these days. I love to treat people and feel they shouldn't have to be deprived just because I can't have sugar. What can I do? It's really hard to pass up a special dessert you have made for others. I know my sugar cravings are better but this is placing temptation right under your nose. It's the dinners and guests at our house that are giving me real problems. Any advice you can give will be sincerely appreciated. Sorry this is so long!

Blessings 2U,
Grandma

jraz Wed, Oct-02-02 19:48

End of Day Three

and so far so good today.... Was so busy today that I did not have time to think about eating or snacking on carbs... So made it through day 3 just fine....
Am having pain in my hip and down my leg tho... not sure if it's from the protein or weather....
ok, back to reading posts...
Blessings to all.. J.R.

Karen Thu, Oct-03-02 01:05

Quote:
Also, I have a question about those of you who have detoxed and are living sugar free. What do you do when you have guests over.

Make them a low-carb dessert! Very few people would turn down cheesecake and it's the perfect LC dessert. Have a look at Sweet Treats in the Kitchen Forum and Low Carb Recipes at the top of the page. There's lots of great ideas and recipes here.

Grandma, I'm wondering what is in UltraGlycemix? Is there L-glutamine, chromium or L-carnitine?

Karen

TeriDoodle Thu, Oct-03-02 07:41

Karen I was curious too.... I found info on the web from the manufacturer. Here's the monograph .

grandma Thu, Oct-03-02 19:37

UltraGlycemix

Hi Karen,

Here is the list of ingredients in UltraGlycemix: 2500 IU Vit.A (retinyl palmitate), 2500 IU Vit.A (mixed carotenoids), 250 mg Vit.C, 500 mg. calcium, 100 IU Vit.D, 200 IU Vit.E, 1 mg Thiamin, 1 mg. Riboflavin, 39 MG Niacin, 1 mg. Vitamin B6, 200 mcg Folic acid, 3 mcg Bitamin B12, 5 mg Biotin, 5 mg. Pantothenic acid, 400 mg. Phosphorus, 200 mg. Magnesium, 15 mg Zinc, 150 mcg Selenium, 1/5 mg Copper, 1 mg Manganese, 500 mcg Chromium, 38 mcg Molybdenum. There it is! This stuff really works.

Also, about cheesecake with Splenda. I've tried several times to make cheesecakes with artificial sweetners and they never come out tasting very good. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks and blessings to all.

Grandma (in May of 2003)

Karen Thu, Oct-03-02 20:24

Thanks grandma. I tried to open the Adobe document but had no success this morning.

If you live in Canada, a combination of Splenda/Sugar Twin is about as close as you can get to sugar. Splenda by itself is not bad, but I don't think it should be used cup for cup. COmbining two sweeteners works better than one, but there are only certain ones you can heat. Saccharine and Splenda as well as cyclamate sweeteners are OK to heat.

Here's a link to a Jell-o cheesecake that's very easy. I've made it and used sour cream in place of the cottage cheese. You could use strawberry Jell-o and set it in pie plate and garnish the top with strawberries and whipped cream! And a few toasted almonds!

Karen

grandma Thu, Oct-03-02 20:38

thanks

Thanks Karyn,

I'll try it soon! I live in Michigan but can get Sugar Twin and Splenda. I made some baggie ice cream tonight with Splenda and it was good!

Blessings,
Grandma