Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [CKD] High Fructose Corn Syrup (good or bad) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=57820)

west_on_46 Mon, Aug-26-02 19:16

Quote:
Originally posted by cmorera

Holy cow. 16000 calories in 16 hours?!?!?! You do the math on this one, is this possible? I honestly can't see how you could eat this much food so quickly. I also read TD saying that you should space out this, ie: the time period does matter, not just the amount of raw calories you eat.

Oh, without a doubt, I need to work on pacing myself! Like I said, I'm not claiming to be perfect. I did do the math: 5 lbs of smarties ( 450 g/lb x 5 lb x4 cal/g ), 10 protein shakes 80 grams each ( 10 x 80 g x 4 cal/g ), 16-oz jar of peanuts ( 16 oz x 200 cal/oz) plus some odds and ends like a bottle of wine and some light cheese.

cmorera Mon, Aug-26-02 22:17

OK, more sugar questions. SO dextrose is better for muscle absorbsion and fructose is better for liver replenishment. High Fructose Corn Syrup is very similar to Fructose. What about regular Corn Syrup??? And also what about malto-dextrose??

One more question, are smarties the only food with high dextrose??? I noticed this was the first ingrediant on the package, but they kinda get boring (I was wondering West 42, do you put these in a coffe grinder and mix them in with protein shakes?) So what other food have high dextrose?

K, lates

west_on_46 Tue, Aug-27-02 09:11

Quote:
OK, more sugar questions. SO dextrose is better for muscle absorbsion and fructose is better for liver replenishment. High Fructose Corn Syrup is very similar to Fructose. What about regular Corn Syrup??? And also what about malto-dextrose??

One more question, are smarties the only food with high dextrose??? I noticed this was the first ingrediant on the package, but they kinda get boring (I was wondering West 42, do you put these in a coffe grinder and mix them in with protein shakes?) So what other food have high dextrose?

K, lates

Maltodextrin is very good for carbing also - it's a glucose polymer, something that Duchaine wrote about in BodyOpus. It's the main carb ingredient in MRP's like Myoplex, also is sold over the internet, or can be found in Sweet Tarts in most candy isles.

I just eat that stuff as such. Used to put them into the blender but it takes quite a bit of blending to crush them well and besides, I don't have them teeth for nothin'! No, not the greatest dessert, but I got used to it.

Yanick Tue, Aug-27-02 09:42

The corn syrup question got me thinking so i quickly googled it.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/ketodiet/cholabel.html

Check out the part that says "Fructose, sorbitol, corn syrup"

This leads me to believe that corn syrup should be avoided when carbing up.

cmorera Tue, Aug-27-02 16:04

Ight, so moving the subject to NON-sugars, complex carbohydrates (like pasta) are good and should be used at the end of the carb up, like the evening of the second day and the third day? Of course avoiding rich sauses like alfredo and any stuff like that.

(what about fructose at the end of a carb-up? How would this compare to complex-cabos?)

peace and hair greace

west_on_46 Tue, Aug-27-02 17:45

Quote:
(what about fructose at the end of a carb-up? How would this compare to complex-cabos?)

It depends on what the "complex" is made up of. There are only a few monosaccharide molecules that comprise the complex carbohydrates (fructose, glucose, galactose, and some that I can't remember names of), and the body chops them into those blocks before absorption. From what I understand, fructose is not a major component of starches et al, but don't quote me on that. I don't have much to say about complex carbs - I have an allergy to gluten, which bars me from eating any wheat products.

Natrushka Tue, Sep-03-02 15:13

Fructose and Leptin

Thought this might be of some interest:

Quote:
When a fructose enriched diet (60% of calories) was given to rats, no increase in leptin was found over a two week period (31), while an isocaloric glucose enriched diet resulted in a three fold increase. Interestingly, 60% vegetable starch (which would eventually be converted to glucose) also did not result in an increase in leptin

The articles in their entirety can be read in the Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch

Nat

p.s. If anyone is interested there's a great interview with Lyle McDonald at www.wannabebig.com

west_on_46 Tue, Sep-03-02 17:52

Re: Fructose and Leptin

That rocks! Further points to using glucose and glucose polymers as carbing foods and avoiding fructose (I'm sure everyone's already sick of me referring to the "S" product). Thanks for the reference.

cmorera Wed, Sep-04-02 14:37

Re: Re: Fructose and Leptin

Quote:
Originally posted by west_on_46
That rocks! Further points to using glucose and glucose polymers as carbing foods and avoiding fructose (I'm sure everyone's already sick of me referring to the "S" product). Thanks for the reference.

So I was telling someone the other day the Soda is whack caus' like it's all High Fructose Corn Syrup and I don't want that phony %~$*. BUt anyways they started telling me that when you buy Coca-COla in Mexico, that they don't use that HFCS crap, instead they have like realy dextrose (or was it sucrose?). Either way, I am considering travelling down to Mexico to get some soda to see what exactly the ingrediants are (if it's not HFCS, whoo-who).

west_on_46 Thu, Sep-05-02 06:17

I had heard something similar about Coca Cola and other sodas in Europe. I think that in the US it's the mighty dollar that's behind HCFS in everything - it's cheaper and sweeter.

Speaking of the mighty dollar, has anyone read the article in the New York Times Magazine this May called "Power Steer"? A good read on the economics of the food industry. Executive summary: cattle are being forcefed something they've not been designed to eat by nature (corn) and a truckload to 1-1/2 truckloads of antibiotics because their stomachs can't handle it without them. Along for the ride is another truckload or so of steroids. When the farmers were asked "Why do you do this and could you please stop?", the answer was "If I don't, my cows won't grow as fast so all the other guys that do use this chemical warfare will run me out of business, but if they stop, I'll gladly do so too". Interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/31/magazine/31BEEF.html

Requires a subscription but it's free.

Doug H Sat, Sep-14-02 11:07

West, I was shocked to hear from a butcher recently that a steer goes from womb to tomb in only 18 months!! Chickens in 6 weeks!!
No wonder so many people have whacked out immune and endocrine systems.
Here in Colorado we can buy free range chickens and beef, raised on organic feed with no steroids or antibiotics in the feed. It's really pricey but it tastes, looks and feels completely differently from the ordinary stuff.
We also have buffalo, which live on the open range and eat grasses. It's really lean

west_on_46 Sat, Sep-14-02 12:25

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug H
Here in Colorado we can buy free range chickens and beef, raised on organic feed with no steroids or antibiotics in the feed. It's really pricey but it tastes, looks and feels completely differently from the ordinary stuff.

I agree 100% - organic meats are totally worth it.

It sucks to say this but I think it's true: the farmers are cornered into using steroids and antibiotics because otherwise the cows will grow much slower and they'll be run out of business. The public has come to expect unnaturally low prices that are only possible if the farmers do use the chemicals, and it takes a lot of consumer education to convince that organics are worth the extra money. Of course, this also requires standards and quality assurance so that the stuff that's sold as "organic" really is organic.
A really good read on this topic is "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser.

Big Dog Mon, Sep-16-02 11:16

18 months for cattle seems about right.

When i was a kid (20 or so years ago) my family would buy 6 cattle a year to raise for beef. We would go to the auction in early spring, buy cattle from the previous spring so they were a year old, then feed them for the summer and butcher in the fall. they are pretty much finished growing by then so why keep them any longer and let them get tougher.

We quit raising cattle in the mid 80s when i was a teenager, it was really weird going to the supermarket and buying beef for the first time :)

cmorera Mon, Sep-16-02 18:15

Did you feed your cattle steroids or hormones??

Big Dog Mon, Sep-16-02 19:58

nope, we used a corn/oat/molasses mixture, along with hay and pasture grazing