Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Could your doctor be liable for prescribing Atkins? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=53993)

Libbyfcr Mon, Aug-05-02 13:55

PETA

Quote:
. I give full marks to PETA and all the rest of the orgs that fight for animal rights

PETA is a loaded subject. For the sake of our wonderful LC forum........ lets not go there.

Thanks,
Libby

squidgy Mon, Aug-05-02 14:01

Has that advert actually appeared anywhere yet?

As for animal rights, I'm of the opinion that it's the Disney effect. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs cute furry animals that lead Snow White to the dwarfs house, and lead the dwarfs to Snow White when she's in danger. Before that, people used to consider human rights to be more important. For example, the transatlantic slave trade was abolished in the 1830's - that was progress for human rights, no?

Much of what we know about the science behind low carb dieting is based on animal experimentation, Atkins makes no apologies for citing articles which publish results of experiments on mice. Of course, it would be nice to have results of experiments on humans too, but unfortunately, to do these experiments properly, you'd have to re-introduce slavery. Or, if you can't reintroduce slavery, you'd have to make do with long term indentures at the very least, complete with a legal disclaimer that you might be killed or permanently disabled before your indenture term expires. And even if you manage to get away with that, chances are you won't get the results in our lifetime anyway.

Animal rights can be carried too far. You can open a vegan restaurant if you want, but if word gets out that you aren't doing anything about rats in the kitchen, then you can bet that your restaurant won't last very long.

Going back to the original point, I agree, doctors would be equally liable for low-fat advice under such reasoning. What would the net upshot of that be? Yep, it would mean that doctors will refuse to give any advice about diet and nutrition whatsoever. You think you're overweight, or have a food intolerance, or IBS, or systemic candidiasis, or heart disease, or insulin resistance, or diabetes, or an eating disorder, or you're addicted to appetite suppressants? And you want help from your doctor with any of these things? Hard luck. Doctor won't diagnose or prescribe unless you're lucky enough to be given a disclaimer to sign.

Course, it's worse still in the UK in that there are plans afoot to remove vitamin and mineral supplementation from general retail sale, and bring it under control, such that you'll need a prescription to be able to get food supplements in the same way as other medications. What's going to happen to yeast / sugar / starch / lactose free supplements? It would be bad enough to have to get a prescription signed off by a doctor in the first place, but if PRCM media threats stop doctors prescribing vitamins and minerals too, we're in deep trouble .....

ginkirk Tue, Aug-06-02 11:36

PCRM

Seems to be mostly concerned with eating animals. I guess I'm basing my opinion on their website. Seems like they're motto is something like "whatever it takes to get people to stop eating animals & animal products." So, if your vitamins have no animal parts, seems like PCRM would endorse it.

Ginger

shelxland Wed, Aug-07-02 15:32

What about the news programs (Dateline, 20/20) that are beginning to air more and more success stories. Would they be liable? Or your neighbor down the street who loaned you her book? The whole think is ridiculous.

Hopefully, they'll nip the whole thing in the bud by not only *not* support the fast food freak's case but also give him a good slap on the wrists for false claims and wasting everyone's time.

He wanted to be the example, make him the example.

gc1 Thu, Aug-08-02 18:12

With that reasoning then a Dr. would be liable for trying to save someones life during triple bypass and the patient dies on the table.

It's called "Practicing Medicine" as it is not a Perfect science

Jeff