Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Diet Suggestions from unqualified sources (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=50284)

clodagh Fri, Jul-12-02 08:59

All I say is,

'I have a medical condition which means I have to eat a whole food diet'

This is true, I have PCOS and I only eat whole foods - real meat, chicken, fish, eggs, butter, cheese, vegetables, beans, fruit!

No one ever argues with this!!!!

Anyway, no one ever heard of Low carb in Ireland so it's never an issue LOL

Clo

Rhollmer Fri, Jul-12-02 11:06

You have to admit though.. To the lay-person, the Atkins plan does sound kinda wacky! It is counter-intuitive to everything I ever learned about a diet. But it does work!

Used my Keytone strips this morning for the first time since I started the LC thing on Saturday. Showing me to be between moderate and high. :D

YEAH!

Shark01 Fri, Jul-12-02 12:15

1 Attachment(s)
When you get advice like that, just shout "scoreboard" and walk away :D

OK, now you did it...........here is my daughter Katie

penelope Fri, Jul-12-02 13:04

Goodness !You have lost a lot of weight and what a beautifull huggable little baby girl guess you shoud not tell her that because she 'd say she wasn't a baby .
I keep my' diet 'a secret until it becomes too hard to hide and then I will act surprised!

Rhollmer Fri, Jul-12-02 13:57

How cute is she!!! haha! I have got to show her to my wife. Next she'll be wanting a girl! Aren't kids great! A handful, but anything worth having doesn't come easy.

-R

katrine77 Sun, Jul-14-02 13:16

Another point

Wow....this is great! What beautiful children we have in our LC community. Thanks for sharing them with us! :rheart:

I would like to make another point regarding all the low carb vs low fat debate.

So much of the focus in Taubes' article and especially in the NPR report was on weight loss. This was a little disappointing to me. While it is true that many of us are attracted to this WOE because of the desire to lose weight, it is the exta benefits that keeps some of us going.

I can only speak for myself realy, but I have heard many of us say the same thing. When I first started low carbing I wanted to lose weight so I committed myself to a week 'just to see how it goes".
Within 2 days, I felt better than I felt in YEARS! I mean 20 years!
I had more energy, I was almost never hungry, my mind was more sharp and clear, I slept better and the mood swings were GONE! Yes, I could feel the weight beginning to drop but THE OTHER SYMPTOMS WERE THE MAIN REASON I KEPT AT IT! This was the first time in my life that I wasn't suffering on a weight loss plan. (being hungry all the time and 'fuzzy headed'). Why the heck would I want to ever go off of this WOE with results like that? :daze:

After a month I had my lipid levels checked and they were perfect. Betther than they had ever been in my life (I know I already shared that with some of you).

:mad: It makes me angry that even Taubes touts this as a weightloss plan when it is clearly a Way of Life. I know that the goal is to integrate a minimal amount of carbs back into my life and I am doing that, but I can never be the bread lover I was before. We all know this, but it seems to be falsely represented to the world.

Finally, to comment on the guy who says in his article that millions of people all over the world eat high carb diets and seem to remain thin....ie the Asian cultures. Ah, excuse me, but I'm not Asian, Ok? I'm Euro, Irish/Scottish,British to be exact and our genetic make up appears to be quite different. DUH!. :mad:

Ok, I've vented enough. GEESH! I just wish one person would stick to the real issues in these articles.
Thanks to you all for the wise, intelligent and well thought out advice and sharing of experiences. I'd be lost without you!

Kathy

rtjdk2 Sun, Jul-14-02 16:29

Yes a cute little tike he is.... You handled your self real good in the situationa t chilli's... id probaly of decked him in the floor :rolleyes: i have had people ask me what kind of diet im on i just say im not on a diet.. im doing atkins... they just say ohhhh... i say diets never work... its the eating habbit change that does... i have had a couple of people say that all that fat is bad for you and plus your body needs carbs... i just tell them i love fat and i do eat carbs.. :D i just choose to eat healthy carbs instead of bad ones... then the old you cant have fruit on that diet... oh yes i can.. who says you cant?... :D Just not during induction.. lol... some of the things people come up with... but for the most part people ususaly say cool, goood, looking goood.. keep up the good work... most are suportive.. even had a nurse say that it was ok to do... after she checked my blood pressure and it was good... even hada friend whos doc recomends this to some of his patients.. not all but some... i guess it depends of there type of diabeties and severity...

Keep up the good work everyone ...

Tammy

SlimShAdY Sun, Jul-14-02 21:38

Laundry day? LOL

I've never seen a baby look that cute in pics..lol especially over the computer. :roll:

As for the original topic question..

I probably would've said something worse then what your husband said. :D

kmarie1351 Mon, Jul-15-02 08:33

Comments

People are constantly telling me, "I could never give up pasta," or "I just love bread too much." Invariably, those are the people who seem to need to lose the most weight. I live in Indiana, where EVERYONE seems to be fat. When I think about what people generally eat here (corn, wheat, potatoes, bread, junk food), it's no wonder that we have such an overweight population. Indiana is way up there on the list of "fattest states in the union."

I just tell people that my cravings for such high-carb things have seemed to disappear. The only one who lectures me nonstop is my mother, but she's 30 pounds overweight with high blood pressure. Why should I take advice on my food from her?

Cute kids, everyone. Here's mine... Zelda.

kmarie1351 Mon, Jul-15-02 08:40

I'll try that again

1 Attachment(s)
We'll see if this works... I've never posted a picture before.

AmberinIN Mon, Jul-15-02 09:28

I can't stand it when people say, "So, how long until you're done and can eat normal again?" or something along those lines! :rolleyes: Why should I start eating bread, pasta and oranges again? I never liked them in the first place! I can't wait until there's a solid study lauding the long term effects of LC!

In my opinion, it's mostly ignorance and when I explain that I'll always be eating a version of low carb, they get it. It's like the people who always watch their salt intake or fat intake, or any number of other things.

I live in the Gary area in Indiana and yes, it is a fat state! I'm trying to drop out my contribution :D !

:wave: Amber

clodagh Mon, Jul-15-02 09:37

It's fascinating really that it's often people who are overweight themselves that have such lofty opinions about what others should eat!

I went out to eat with my family recently ( mother and father overweight and taking Lipitor for high cholesterol, Dad taking blood pressure tablets too) They ate the most fattening deep fried rubbish on the menu ( breaded chicken battered onion rings, fires, deep fried banan and pineapple), I had lovely steak, garlic butter, and plate of lovely veg.
guess who felt better leaving the restaurant. But they still had comments to make about my food!!!!

Amber, by the way, congrats on the fantastic weight loss!!!!

Clodagh