Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   To Diet For - Lowcarb shake mixes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=479)

DebDaCajun Wed, Jun-06-01 22:09

Re: s'truth!

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
And isn't polymer just a term meaning a molecular variation? Therefore a glucose polymer is still a glucose....

Here's two cents from a former biochemist: a polymer is a term meaning a molecule made up of several units of smaller molecules linked together. For example, sucrose is a dimer (di meaning "two") of fructose and glucose. So yes, a glucose polymer is a bunch of glucose molecules linked together to make a larger molecule. And I agree that that is where the "hidden" sugar is coming from. I am fortunate enough to be near a supermarket that carries bulk foods, so I just get soy isolate powder in bulk and use 0-carb syrups etc.

momo Mon, Jul-16-01 14:21

Question for "to diet for" users

I finally picked up the chocolate "to diet for" shake, and can't wait to experiment. Has anyone noticed that the instructions simply tell you to add "your favourite liquid"? What are you using? Have you experimented with anything interesting? Does this stuff taste ok with just water?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

doreen T Mon, Jul-16-01 20:04

todietfor ..

hi momo,

I've never tried the chocolate flavour, sorry. But I have tried the vanilla, it's not bad .... and the strawberry is actually quite good.

Yes, I noticed the "preferred liquid" instructions .. :rolleyes: .. I know some folks have elaborate recipes for using the shake powders ... adding cream, ground flax meal or psyllium husks to thicken, flax oil, lecithin, juice (if allowed higher carbs), yogurt, milk or water. Personally, I just use water and add 1 or 2 Tbsp heavy cream (I have to go easy on the high fat dairy) .. sometimes I'll add flax oil to get the dose in! The strawberry flavour makes a nice smoothie, blended with 1/2 cup 5%fat yogurt (5 carbs) and 1/2 cup water.

Their carb count is a bit misleading. They show 1 g carb, then below, 1 g sugar. If you compare the weight listed for one serving (18.4 g) then compare that to the weights listed for the ingredients, you'll see there's 3.2 g not accounted for. These 3.2 g must be the "taste factors" listed at the bottom, which includes fructose and glucose polymer (most likely maltodextrin), beet juice and some gum thickeners. I'm playing it safe by counting the carbs as 3.2 g, not 1 g as they list.

Let me know if the chocolate is good. I don't use the shakes every day, but it is nice to have as a quick lowcarb meal replacement now and then.

Doreen

doreen T Sat, Aug-04-01 10:28

update ...... taste test

OK, inaccurate carb count aside ..... I still think 3 carbs isn't bad .... my pronouncement on to-diet-for lowcarb protein shake mix is ...
  • vanilla is not bad, slight "fake" taste
  • chocolate is better than not bad, very chocolatey (they use real cocoa, not chocolate "flavour")
  • strawberry is very good
Mixes readily with a spoon .. no blender needed .. without turning into lumps and clumps. I just use water, and a Tbsp of cream.

FYI, to-diet-for shakes are made of soy, isolated whey protein and lecithin, with thermogen-x formula (bitter orange, green tea extract, kola, white willow and guarana, and other herbs & extracts). Made by nu-life Nutritionals.

Doreen

*note - the herbs & extracts listed do contain caffeine*

PatHawk Thu, Aug-16-01 15:05

Strawberry Shake

I have also just tried this new shake - the strawberry only. It does blend reasonably well with only a spoon, which makes it portable for travel. It does have a pleasant taste. I like to use them for breakfast, cause the bacon and eggs get boring after a while - and I am extremely allergic to cheese. I also use 1 or 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and fill the balance of the cup with water. when I am at home and feel like an indulgence, I add two real strawberries and blend with a blender. The berries do increase the carbs, but the flavor boost is great!
It is nice to see so many companies coming out with new products these days.

Sharon Thu, Aug-16-01 16:28

shakes

Where are you finding these mixes....don't believe I've seen them around here?

doreen T Thu, Aug-16-01 17:41

Sharon, here in eastern Ontario, I've seen to-diet-for Shakes at Shoppers Drug Mart and Loblaws Superstore, They run around $29.99 for a 600g canister, which yields 32 servings, so less than $1 per. Some health food stores may carry it too. I was informed that Nutrition House will no longer be carrying Nu-life products (that's the company that makes these shake mixes)

Here's a link to their website, which is really, really, really hard to find. In fact, I only found it by going back to an old post of my own from back in April!! http://www.nulifevitamins.com/newpr...ewproducts.htm# .. Anyway, there's a picture of it, so you'll know what to look for in the stores. Do click on the "Frequently asked questions" which is in fine print below the picture .. :rolleyes:

I'm liking the chocolate more and more. It's not overly sweet, and very intense chocolate from the cocoa, as opposed to fake chocolate "flavouring". And really like the strawberry too. The vanilla I have been adding flavourings to, such as orange, almond or maple extract .... or 1/8 tsp unsweetened Koolaid powder.

Just a reminder that the "thermogenic" herbs in these powders does contain caffeine, so caveat emptor (buyer beware). I wouldn't use this for a bedtime snack!!

Hope this helps ;)

Doreen

p.s. - for a technical discussion about todietfor shake mixes, and the specific ingredients, check this discussion thread ... http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...s=&threadid=479