Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Real food vs. Low carb concoctions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=427866)

sunny068 Tue, May-10-11 14:42

Werebear, what is the receipe for your butter cookies please?

ncrn122 Tue, May-10-11 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Exactly.

I just had some cookies with my lunch; aside from .083 ounces of Splenda in each one, they are almonds and butter and cream cheese and eggs and cranberries and walnuts.

Should I get worked up that they aren't "real cookies"?

Do you have the recipe???

WereBear Tue, May-10-11 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Hey WereBear, I'm just curious. With just .083 ounces of Splenda in each one, what does that do for you? Would the food be so flat without it? or what would happen if you used, like, a raisin?

It seems so small.

I noticed my Kwasniewski cookbook has "Viennese style cheesecake" and its only sweetener is currants so that's why I ask.

I started with a recipe that had 1 1/2 cups of sweetener, and made it with 1/2 cup and 2 tbl sweetener. To make my point, I divided the amount of Splenda among 4 dozen cookies.

Cranberry Walnut Cookies

It's still a work in progress. Sugar and sugar substitutes do more than sweeten; they have chemical actions in baked goods, too. I'm trying to have as little sweetener as needed; since the rest of the ingredients are so good for me, it's a net win.

NortonMan Tue, May-10-11 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by waskydiver
But, I am telling my mind that my rewards are still... BREADS... SUGARS... CHOCOLATE... CARMEL. I am holding on to the old principals that I cannot be happy eating a low carb diet... I must occasionally fall back to my old way of eating to be happy in my life...

And what is worse... is when I ease my guilt by providing myself with the fake substitutes. I'm in a painful position, with one foot on each side of the fence... all the time telling myself: "It's OK... It's not REALLY a muffin... It just tastes like one... kinda... sorta... not really... BLECH"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniM
I agree with you guys who state its not replacing but re-orientating. I have been low carb for 7 weeks and I have been making some great recipes with vegetables I have not eaten in years. the flavors are wonderful and I wonder why I did not try these before. My current favorite is the fried cauliflower recipe that was on here yesterday. I made it last night and loved it.

These two personal experiences are great examples of the different approaches I'm talking about.

WereBear Wed, May-11-11 06:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortonMan
These two personal experiences are great examples of the different approaches I'm talking about.

I still don't get it I guess; one experience you quoted was a worry about substitutes creating cravings for the real thing, and the other was the joy of exploring a new food. Both valid points; but I still don't see how those support your possible strategy of having small portions of high carb foods.

So so so often this turns into the slippery slope where people reach for the potato instead of the cauliflower more and more; until they are right back where they started.

But I'm a huge fan of substitutes. Especially since I'm gone gluten free. Never having cookies again is a far less reasonable option than having low carb gluten free cookies whenever I want.

In my case, low carb cookies don't tempt me to the Dark Side; they prevent me from being tempted by real ones.

Margerie Wed, May-11-11 07:45

I feel like there's a difference between homemade substitutes for favorite foods and low carb products created industrially. I am far more skeptical of the latter.

I also think some recipes adjust to low carb better than others. Cheesecakes are a great example. The only substitute is a sweetener and a nut crust instead of graham crust--no flour substitutes necessary. It tastes like cheesecake, not a weird fake thing or a lesser thing that has me less satisfied. I wouldn't, for instance, try to make a baguette without wheat flour. It would be like forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Thankfully, I am happy enough with the range of food I can eat that I don't spend a lot of time worrying about all the things I can't. And eating low carb has me feeling better in general which makes the need to "treat" myself less of an issue altogether.

cldade55 Wed, May-11-11 08:46

Move up the OWL ladder as designed. If you eventually try grains at the end of the process and find out they cause you problems, you will have discovered lots of other good foods you can eat forever along the way.

albiorix Wed, May-11-11 10:09

I'm no good with portion control of high carb foods. and that is what got me here. I can't have a little bit of whole wheat bread. I love bread, obsessively. and flaxseed muffins I don't love, and I think that's because I was looking for a substitute for bread. If I'd have come acrross them as just a fabulous new food to try, I wonder what I would have thought? still I'm not going to love everything that's low carb any more than I loved everything high carb.

Baked cheesecake is an example - I've never had a "high-carb" version so I don't have any comparison, I only know that Bawdy's cheesecake tastes fab and I'm very happy to eat it thank you.

Pasta I could live without forever, I'm not even vaguely interested in a substitute for pasta. In fact I get ridiculously annoyed when people on here suggest cauliflower with a cheese sauce as a "mock mac and cheese" - it's not a "mock" anything, people, it's a bonafide dish that non-low carb people have eaten in the UK for generations BY CHOICE because it tastes blooming fantastic and is 1000% superior to gloopy, stodgy, gluey pasta. <cough, sorry rant over>.

anyway.

we get used to thinking of the high carb way as the "real" way and think that low carb is a lot of messing about, and a lot of messing about with wierd ingredients. in order to try and fake a high carb experience. but a lot of "simple" high carb foods aren't simple at all. Wheat goes through a lot of processing to become bread or pasta. High refined table sugar isn't that much more "natural" than artificial sweeteners, given the chemical processses it goes through. We are just conditioned to think that these things are more real.

Most of what I eat is pretty close to it's natural state, mainly because I am too lazy to faff about for hours combining ingredients to approximate a dish that I once craved.

During the last 3 weeks I went on a high carb comfort eating binge. This is going to sound odd. But very little of that food actually tasted good. I ate most of it mindlessly, without tasting it at all, when I did concentrate on what it actually tasted like, instead of how it made me feel, it tasted pretty blah, plastic, bland. That didn't stop me eating it, even though the taste was unappealing.

You know how smokers insist that they enjoy smoking? (I'm an ex smoker), and non-smokers can't fathom why anyone would like smoking and ex-smokers understand how it works but also know that the "enjoyment" is a lie...?

that's how I'm feeling about high-carb food at the moment.

Margerie Wed, May-11-11 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by albiorix
In fact I get ridiculously annoyed when people on here suggest cauliflower with a cheese sauce as a "mock mac and cheese" - it's not a "mock" anything, people, it's a bonafide dish that non-low carb people have eaten in the UK for generations BY CHOICE because it tastes blooming fantastic and is 1000% superior to gloopy, stodgy, gluey pasta. <cough, sorry rant over>.

anyway.

we get used to thinking of the high carb way as the "real" way and think that low carb is a lot of messing about, and a lot of messing about with wierd ingredients. in order to try and fake a high carb experience. but a lot of "simple" high carb foods aren't simple at all. Wheat goes through a lot of processing to become bread or pasta. High refined table sugar isn't that much more "natural" than artificial sweeteners, given the chemical processses it goes through. We are just conditioned to think that these things are more real.

I am with you 100%. The way I eat does not look freakish or weird or abnormal. It's whole foods prepared simply and deliciously.

sunny068 Wed, May-11-11 11:44

I agree with all of these comments ... before LC i was always looking for a more healthy alternative to foods. I stopped eating white bread and pizza crust and started with wheat. I stopped eating fries and started baking my potatoes, or baking sweet potato fries. I drank diet soda for years just because of the cut in calories.

Now Im realizing that I can take it all a step further and eat foods without bleached white flour and sugars and refined carbohydrates all together. Eating this food doesnt send me craving for other foods or full-carb foods. I feel lighter, more energized, and happier about my food choices.

MarieGray Thu, May-12-11 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by albiorix

Most of what I eat is pretty close to it's natural state, mainly because I am too lazy to faff about for hours combining ingredients to approximate a dish that I once craved.

I have to give kudos and agreement to this statement albiorix. I've given up lots of food recently, and haven't looked back. Not one bite of anything not on approved food list....and i dont' miss it, at all, everytime I reach into the bread drawer for a sandwich bag, I look at the bread, bagels and english muffins and think, huh. I haven't eaten any of that in 23 days, and I'm very much ok with it. I didn't even bite into a strand of spagetti last night to test for doneness. I asked my daughter to do it. I couldn't care less about pasta, or potatoes..bread I always thought would be hard to give up. Seeing those pounds melt away has completely overridden any craving for bread I've ever had. I'm still learning....I'm still experimenting with amounts of vegetables, and I'm still trying to remmeber to eat a bigger breakfast because I hate getting to 10:00am and being really hungry...and realizing i've forgotten to pack a snack.
I'm rambling. I just wanted to agree with this.....I had a good friend who was vegetarian and wanting to go vegan and she spent SO much time trying to replace cheese, it was painful to watch. Now she's not only eating cheese, but the burger to go with it!
MarieGray

mirinblue Thu, May-12-11 13:47

I think some of these "sub" (or as someone said-fake) foods really come into play when you have commited to making this a true WOE. I have been at this for an entire year-every day, day in, day out, vacations, birthdays, Thanksgiving and Christmas. New Years, anniversaries, wakes, celebrations and every single day in between. If it were not for an occasional foray into "fake substitutions"-why, I doubt I would have made it this far. There is something to be said for a low carb pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. There is something celebratory about a slice of LC cheesecake on my Birthday. It allows me to actually visualize this way of eating for LIFE!, that's for LIFE! people. YMMV.

mike_d Thu, May-12-11 13:55

I don't believe in substitutes for the "foods that make us fat", most of them are not "real" anyway. Over time your taste will change. I tried a donut once and had to spit it out. Even apples or melons are too sweet for my taste now. I even enjoy cooking chocolate. Sometimes I make an low-carb muffin, whipped cream or LC pepperoni pizza, but that's about it.

Kerwee89 Thu, May-12-11 15:17

I found Candace's blog with recipes and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Blueberry muffins made with Coconut flour and Banana muffins made with peanut flour and coconut flour. I also use the Splenda with fiber for baking and it makes them even lower carb. I feel like I'm eating something great and it keeps me on track. I have a really hard time with breakfast, I'm not a big egg eater and although I eat plenty of fat on the plan I don't want to go overboard with Bacon,Sausage and Red meats. i try to keep it balanced. Every one is different but I love to cook and bake so the low carb recipes with different flours make me feel like I'm not really giving it all up. I feel like I can really do this forever :-)

NortonMan Thu, May-12-11 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
But I'm a huge fan of substitutes. Especially since I'm gone gluten free. Never having cookies again is a far less reasonable option than having low carb gluten free cookies whenever I want.

What I'm getting at is this: how often, for you, is "whenever I want?" Is it a once a week treat, or are you eating a cookie a day? I have a couple strawberries cut up and thrown into cream but I would say I have them sparingly, not whenever I want. :)