Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Love the cauliflower hashbrowns (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=427109)

Neanderpam Mon, Apr-25-11 15:34

I made these this morning for breakfast. Heaven! Even hubster had some (he's not lowcarb...sigh..well, not completely like I am...he just doesn't know he's eating under 120gms a day :) ).

Thanks so much for your thread Old Iron. I put green and red peppers in mine too...Obrien hashbrowns. Wayyyy too good...I may never eat anything else for breakfast again.

You've made an old lowcarber very happy. :)

Old Iron Mon, Apr-25-11 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam
I made these this morning for breakfast. Heaven! Even hubster had some (he's not lowcarb...sigh..well, not completely like I am...he just doesn't know he's eating under 120gms a day :) ).

Thanks so much for your thread Old Iron. I put green and red peppers in mine too...Obrien hashbrowns. Wayyyy too good...I may never eat anything else for breakfast again.

You've made an old lowcarber very happy. :)

They really are unbelievably good aren't they.

Please pardon the pun, but now for breakfast we can have our cake, and eat it to. :clap:

Kisal Mon, Apr-25-11 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by scthgharpy
Huh. How do you grate a cauliflower? Very carefully?

I tried the turnip thing, dont like the flavor. DANG I guess Im picky. Im making polisn and sauerkraut this week, maybe Ill try some fried "fauxtatoes" with dinner.
If you haven't tried the radish hashbrowns, I highly recommend them. Parboil the radishes first for 5 minutes, then drain. Blot out excess moisture on a paper towel. Fry in bacon grease with onions. Add peppers if you like. Really good stuff, IMO. :yum:

I started out using diced red radishes, but now I've switched to using daikon radish, because it's easy to grate ... just like a potato. I prefer grated hashbrowns. :)

marlyzhipz Tue, Apr-26-11 06:27

I slice my cauliflower, like I would potatoes, add onion and fry them together like fried potatoes. (I fry in tasteless coconut oil) My boyfriend, who is not on Atkins, was shocked this tasted exactly like fried potatoes. They are just as good warmed over for lunch the next day! Cauliflower is so versatile!

gweny70 Tue, Apr-26-11 06:32

Ok now I really REALLY need to try these this weekend!!! (mouth watering) :)

letsdoit Tue, Apr-26-11 06:47

does cauliflower actually grate? Mine just falls apart in chunks!

PilotGal Tue, Apr-26-11 06:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlyzhipz
Cauliflower is so versatile!
it's the perfect mac and cheese dish!
looking forward to trying this recipe..
i do miss hash browns, too.. :agree:

marlyzhipz Tue, Apr-26-11 06:55

My daughter made mac and cheese with the cauliflower and she said it was amazing, also! Cauliflower is my staple raw as a snack, also. Cauliflower rocks!

Neanderpam Tue, Apr-26-11 06:59

Ok..I'll ask. Can we please have the mac and cheese recipe too?

gweny70 Tue, Apr-26-11 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam
Ok..I'll ask. Can we please have the mac and cheese recipe too?

THIS

ME TOO!!!!

joylorene Tue, Apr-26-11 08:02

for easter I made my mashed cauliflower but I add cream cheese, butter, garlic then I put shredded cheese on top and stick it in the oven to let it melt - they are just sooo creamy - taste better than the actual ones!

marlyzhipz Wed, Apr-27-11 05:58

Mockafoni and cheese
Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
Vegetable oil spray
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.
Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Serve.

Neanderpam Wed, Apr-27-11 16:05

Thank you for the recipe marlyzhipz.

scthgharpy Wed, Apr-27-11 20:24

The cauliflower is good if you roast it too. I find the roasted cauliflower good as a base for stews too.

freckles Wed, Apr-27-11 21:19

This sounds like a great recipe (as does the mock mac & cheese)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
I make them from radishes. :yum:

I like to cut radishes into quarters and saute in butter w/onion for a nice ungrated hashbrown. They are yummy!!!

It continually amazes me how fabulously delicious lc eating is!!!