Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Would you Adam and Eve it? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=41745)

Kay Sat, Apr-27-02 01:39

Ancelse, you crack me up. :D

And all this time I thought that was you. . .
:agree:

Karla Sat, May-04-02 13:36

Rustpot,

Maybe you can clear up a long standing question for me; I know that the cockney rhyming phrase "Bob's your uncle" means something like "there you go" or "everything's ok", but I have no idea what the original phrase was. Can you help?

TIA,

Karla

rustpot Sat, May-04-02 14:01

Uncle Bob

In fact nothing to do with rhyming slang at all.

This dates to late Victorian times. The uncle in question was the Prime Minister Lord Robert (Bob) Marquis of Salisbury.

The nephew was Arthur J Balfour. This was a case of clear nepotism where Uncle Bob appointed Arthur to a number of important positions including Secretary for Scotland and Chief Secretary for Ireland.

So if you attain something very easily then Bob's your Uncle!

Arthur I believe went on to be Prime Minister himself, so perhaps he did have some talents of his own.

Strange as it may seem I too have an Uncle Bob

Bloom Sat, May-04-02 14:03

If you dont mind i can answer that:

It's a catch phrase dating back to 1887, when British Prime Minister Robert Cecil (a.k.a. Lord Salisbury) decided to appoint a certain Arthur Balfour to the prestigious and sensitive post of Chief Secretary for Ireland. Not lost on the British public was the fact that Lord Salisbury just happened to be better known to Arthur Balfour as "Uncle Bob." In the resulting furor over what was seen as an act of blatant nepotism, "Bob's your uncle" became a popular sarcastic comment applied to any situation where the outcome was preordained by favoritism. As the scandal faded in public memory, the phrase lost its edge and became just a synonym for "no problem."

Bloom Sat, May-04-02 14:08

whoops, pardon me me Rusty :)

Karla Sun, May-05-02 08:27

Thanks, Rustpot and Bloom, :wave: now I know why I couldn't figure out what could possibly rhyme with that!

I have always loved "Bob's your uncle," and it used to drive one of my friends crazy until she moved to England last October and discovered that people there really do say it!

Karla

Bloom Sun, May-05-02 14:56

I used to say it quite often, but then my closest friends husband is called Bob and it always sounded daft if it slipped out to her :lol: so Id catch myself and now havnt said it in yonks.

Doodle Sun, May-12-02 05:16

Carbs make me more than a bit "Tom and Dick"... not the "Mae West".
Doods.

lossiebeth Sun, May-19-02 06:39

VARIOUS JUNK

SORRY ABOUT TYPING IN ALL CAPS. M.S., NUMB HANDS, ETC.

RUSTPOT, YOU ARE SOME BOY! ;)

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT BOOK, BUT MY FIRST THOUGHTS, ALONG WITH MANY OTHERS, WERE "EAT RIGHT 4 YOUR TYPE".

BTW, NOW, EXPLAIN THIS, SOMEONE. I WAS ALWAYS A TYPE O+. I REMEMBER THIS BECAUSE I WAS SO PROUD TO BE A "UNIVERSAL DONOR". ANYWAY, I HAD MY BLOOD TAKEN A FEW YEARS BACK (NOW IN SCOTLAND, FORMERLY IN THE U.S.) AND WAS TOLD I AM AN A+. EXCUSE ME? WHAT HAPPENED? DO THEY TYPE BLOOD DIFFERENTLY IN THE U.S. TO SCOTLAND OR WHAT? :confused:

THAT IS SO WEIRD. BACK TO BOOKS: I TOO AM RATHER MEAN, AND DON'T TEND TO GO OUT AND BUY BOOKS, NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY SOUND. THANK GOODNESS FOR THE INTERNET, AS THE NORTH OF SCOTLAND DOESN'T EXACTLY ABOUND IN BOOKSHOPS ;)

YOU, RUSTPOT, MENTIONED UDO ERASMUS. I FOUND (ON THE INTERNET) "FATS THAT HEAL, FATS THAT KILL" AND HAD A LOOK. IT SOUNDS SO GOOD I MIGHT ACTUALLY WORK MYSELF UP TO *BUYING* IT! :spin:

NOW, I DON'T MEAN TO SOUND OBNOXIOUS, OR RUDE OR ANYTHING, GUYS AND GALS, BUT ABOUT "THAT" HAT. WHEN I BEGAN TO READ THE COMMENTS ABOUT IT, I INSTANTLY THOUGHT, "UH OH". I MEAN, HOW ARE ANY OF US TO BE SURE THAT IT *WAS* A JOKE? I MEAN, PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT IDEAS ABOUT BEAUTY AND GLAMOUR AND SUCHLIKE. AFTER HEARING SUCH JOKES AT ANOTHER'S EXPENSE, I AM SURELY NOT IN A HURRY TO POST A PHOTO OF ME IN *MY* FAVOURITE HAT! ;) I *KNOW* NO HURT WOULD EVER BE INTENDED, BUT STILL...

FINALLY, TO SHOW MY IGNORANCE AS WELL AS MY COMPLETE LACK OF A SENSE OF HUMOUR, WHAT DIET IS "BFL"?

rustpot Sun, May-19-02 07:20

Howdy

You might find an extract of "fats that heal, fats that kill" in your local health food shop. Are you developing that scottish tradition of a padlock on your wallet?

Do not know what is going on with your blood type. Very Weird.
I have been A+ in US and UK. Worth having a third opinion.

I am sure you would look lovely in a hat made of meat with a sausage necklace. Saves time with a summer BBQ. I promise I will not laugh. (not out loud anyway) ;)

Wendye Sun, May-19-02 07:52

Hi Rustspot - It's been a while since I dropped by - but it is always a hoot when I do -- you seem to be the resident expert in language and it's derivative. I always have a good laugh when I read your journal :lol:

'Rhyming slang - Aussie style' - I've posted an extract I found elsewhere and thought you'd like it - it's in the lighter side - I was gonna post it here but it's a bit too ong.

Catch ya later - Bye for now :wave:

lossiebeth Sun, May-19-02 12:55

Quote:
You might find an extract of "fats that heal, fats that kill" in your local health food shop. Are you developing that scottish tradition of a padlock on your wallet?

SO ARE SCOTTISH HEALTH SHOPS. I CHECKED FOR AN EXTRACT OF THE BOOK THE FIRST TIME I SAW YOU SUGGEST THAT, BUT THERE WERE NONE TO BE FOUND-TOO EXPENSIVE TO GIVE OUT, I GUESS :lol:

Quote:
I am sure you would look lovely in a hat made of meat with a sausage necklace. Saves time with a summer BBQ. I promise I will not laugh. (not out loud anyway)

FLATTERER ;)

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE BLOOD TYPE THING; I NEED TO CHECK IT OUT. I LOOKED AT "EAT RIGHT 4 YOUR TYPE" (IN A BOOK STORE OF COURSE-WHO'D BUY ANYTHING WITHOUT READING IT FIRST?! ;) ). IT SAID THAT O+ NEED TO EAT A LOT OF MEAT, BUT THAT A+ SHOULD BE AT LEAST LARGELY VEGETARIAN (IF I REMEMBER IT RIGHTLY). WELL, I *TRIED* BEING A VEGETARIAN FOR YEARS, AND A VEGAN TWICE. I LOVED IT (ESPECIALLY BEING A VEGAN) BUT WAS HUNGRY AND GAINED WEIGHT (WHO GAINS WEIGHT AS A VEGAN?); I SURE FELT MORALLY WONDERFUL, THOUGH :D

OH, RUSTPOT, I SO ENJOY YOUR POSTS; YOU'RE A RIGHT COMEDIAN, SO YOU ARE.

lossiebeth Tue, May-21-02 05:02

THIS WEBSITE IS AMAZING, BTW!

I JUST MANAGEDTO UPLOAD A PHOTO OF ME IN *MY* FAVOURITE HAT, JUST FOR YOU, RUSTPOT ;) AND I THOUGHT I'D DO A REPLY SO YOU COULD SEE IT. LO AND BEHOLD, IT IS ON *ALL* MY POSTS NOW. IS MODERN TECHNOLOGY GREAT OR WHAT? :thup:

I'M STILL ON THE LOOKOUT FOR FREE EXTRACTS OF UDO'S BOOK, BUT UP HERE IN THE NORTH OF SCOTLAND, IT SIMPLY IS *NOT* HAPPENING! ;)

BTW, TODAY IS MY 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF COMING TO SCOTLAND. THEN I WEIGHED 14ST. 8; NOW I WEIGH 14ST. 1 (WELL, AT LEAST IS IT SOME IMPROVEMENT). THEN I WAS ENGAGED TO A MAN 15 YEARS OLDER THAN ME; NOW I AM MARRIED TO A MAN 9 YEARS YOUNGER. THEN I HATED WRITING LETTERS; NOW THERE IS THE INTERNET AND E-MAIL. AYE, A LOT HAS IMPROVED IN 20 YEARS! :D

rustpot Tue, May-21-02 05:25

If you want to get ahead get a "titfer"

Looking good Beth

lossiebeth Tue, May-21-02 06:19

HOW DO YOU DO?

WELL, DEARIE, NOW THAT I HAVE SEEN YOU, AND YOU HAVE SEEN ME, I FEEL LIKE WE HAVE ACTUALLY MET.

ISN'T MODERN TECHNOLOGY THE BEST? :D