Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Australia / New Zealand (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Diet Soda? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=41578)

Bloom Sun, May-05-02 21:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosebud

Vegemite is a yeast extract. It's similar to Marmite (a British yeast extract that's not nearly as yummy as Vegemite :D )

:confused: Thats what my kids tell me too. I for one cant tell the difference :p
Dont know that my Mum put it in my bottle although that would explain why she says i was so fussy :lol:

fth_msktr Tue, May-07-02 20:19

Rosebud,
Thank You for the reply. I have wondered about vegimite sandwiches, since the days of the band "Men At Work" . There is a line in one of their songs about someone smiling and handing over a vegemite sandwich to keep him (the singer) from asking questions.
That was a long time ago, I think from the mid 80's.
Thanks for letting me drop in to your Aussie/New Zealander group!!

Schwarz Wed, May-08-02 09:46

Quote:
"...the moment I went into LF Jelly and started drinding SF softdrinks I stalled gained 2 pounds in 2 weeks rather than my usual woosh fairy visit."

Check out this thread ....maybe you'll find it helpful to weigh out whether it's worth drinking pop while you're LCing

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=43527

garbo215 Wed, May-28-03 12:25

:o Aspartame seems to cause more problems as far as hindering weight loss than other sweeteners. Saccharin is the sweetener used in diet drinks from the soda fountain, as it does not break down as quickly as aspartame. It was also taken of the FDA's list of known carcinogens I suppose b/c they finally realized we don't metabolize everything the same way rats do. Duh! Pepsi One is not made with aspartame, I believe, but check the labels to make sure. :D

max_slorta Wed, May-28-03 16:41

We in Godzone eat V-mite too and love it, none of this marmite guff.

Another good drink, but not cheap, is the Sanitarium sportswater called wa+er. It is <.1g carb and reasonably tasty. No Caffeine. Another refresher is Celery out of the fridge (shock horror) or diet sprite, one of the least offensive diet soft drinks.

casval Thu, Jun-05-03 08:01

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosebud
Hi Loraine (and everyone else)!
Golden Circle diet soft drinks are sweetened with Splenda.
They don't have lemonade, but they make a very nice lemon squash with 1.9g carbs per can. Their other soft drinks have up to 3.4g carbs.
Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

OMG!!!!!!! :eek: I just had the orange flavour drink! WOW! It was sooo good. I feel like I'm bouncing off the walls now :daze: Hard to believe it's a diet drink. Why don't they make more softdrinks with Splenda? It tastes sooo much better than aspartame. And less harmful.

Thank you Rosebud. It's so nice to have such a wonderful treat after so long with only soda water, stevia and a bit of flavouring. I bought the one dozen box with four flavours. I'm going to try one each day. Orange has 2.6g carbs BTW.

C

max_slorta Thu, Jun-05-03 14:57

I tried the 1doz box as well but there is a warning about these drinks. They go down quickly and often I find myself wanting a second one. The carbs can mount up quite quickly so it is good to balance them off with sanitarium sports water, or even water. Spree and classic cola are also splenda'd

Maren Mon, Jun-09-03 19:29

Try soda water with Baker Halls Low calorie lime. I have this occaisionally and also enjoy it with Sanitarium water plus which is mildly sweetened.

suzyg Mon, Jun-16-03 00:41

Hi Ive been drinking the K/Mart brand soda, the Lemon one is sweetened with sucralose which you can have. Hope this helps
Sue from Tassie

Maren Mon, Jun-30-03 15:57

You can now buy boxes of 12 cans of cola sweetened with splenda at New World for around $6 Nz.

max_slorta Mon, Jun-30-03 16:35

That would be diet classic cola? The price is the same at pak'n'save. However, if you buy the 1.5 litre bottle it only costs 95c.

The cans work out at 50c per 333 Ml. that is about $1.50 a litre.
The bottles work out at about 63c a litre. Diet spree is about the same and also splenda'd :D

wabi_sabi Fri, Jul-04-03 18:18

Spiders/Floats

I picked up some of the Golden Circle brand diet soft drinks yesterday. I've been at this now for about a week and felt like a treat. So here is what I did:

I poured half a glass of really cold diet Lemon & Lime flavour.
Then I added half a serve (50 mL) of Peters carbohydrate modified ice cream.

It frothed up as I ate it with a spoon and made a really yummy treat with just less than 3 carbs :yay:

Go ahead and try it!

wabi

p.s. As a newbie, I just want to say thanks to everyone for the great ideas, advice and support. Cheers!

casval Mon, Jul-07-03 06:55

I mix in half soda water or sparkling mineral water to space out the small amount of carbs in it. Goes a longer way. It's that sweet you barely notice the difference.

I've also been drinking the kmart brand lemon crush. Thanx suzyg :yum:

C

StarlightA Sat, Jul-12-03 20:43

L.A. Diet Ice Cola

Hi

The LA Diet Ice Cola is sweetened with splenda. Miminal carbs!

Tastes great with a little scotch in it!

A tall glass with a dessert spoonful of cream and stirred also tastes pretty darn good. A little like a cola spider

Sue