Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Child diabetes blamed on food sweetener (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=404811)

GlendaRC Wed, Dec-16-09 00:07

Quote:
Ok, I'm probably going to reveal what a nut I am by saying this, but snacking has become a major pet peeve of mine. When did we get to the point that we couldn't survive without shoving "food" into our mouths all day long?

I am SO GLAD to learn that I'm not the only one! I thought it was a sign I'm getting old, and turning into a curmudgeon!! A big "WHEWWWW" of relief ....

I'm also pleased that you put quotes around the word food! The world appears to have redefined the term -- most of what some people eat today would NOT meet my definition of the meaning of the word "food"!!

costello22 Wed, Dec-16-09 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
Perhaps, what you're seeing is not "snacking", but "lunch". You can eat alone in your dorm room, or you can eat with others in class.

If so, then "lunch" lasts all day and consists of potato chips, corn chips, granola bars, candy, and bananas, because that's the bulk of what I see being consumed. ;)

costello22 Wed, Dec-16-09 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
I am SO GLAD to learn that I'm not the only one! I thought it was a sign I'm getting old, and turning into a curmudgeon!! A big "WHEWWWW" of relief ....

Oh, Glenda, don't use the fact that you share my views convince you that you're not a curmudgeon. I fear I'm a curmudgeon myself.

Quote:
I'm also pleased that you put quotes around the word food! The world appears to have redefined the term -- most of what some people eat today would NOT meet my definition of the meaning of the word "food"!!

Yep. Most of what I see being eaten is manufactured.

Speaking of which, there's a Frito Lay plant along one my routes between work and home. I usually have my Great Dane with me for the commute; she goes to doggie day care. Every time I drive past that Frito Lay plant, I think the dog has farted. Then I remember-- the place stinks.

TheCaveman Wed, Dec-16-09 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
If so, then "lunch" lasts all day and consists of potato chips, corn chips, granola bars, candy, and bananas, because that's the bulk of what I see being consumed. ;)

Sounds like the pattern of stressed and lonely people. And fat on top of it, all for the price of student loans that will haunt them for the next ten years.

There may be something more important going on here than some people getting fat because they've violated library etiquette. What could it be?

costello22 Wed, Dec-16-09 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
Sounds like the pattern of stressed and lonely people. And fat on top of it, all for the price of student loans that will haunt them for the next ten years.

There may be something more important going on here than some people getting fat because they've violated library etiquette. What could it be?

Possibly, but generally in my role as librarian I confine myself to doing library work and resist the temptation to offer personal advice. It's true I'm all-wise and all-knowing and if I ran the world life would be grand, but I've made it my policy only to offer advice when asked for it. So I have to satisfy myself with the non-carbohydrate reasons for leaving the food at the library door: the crunching is disturbing the quiet; the crumbs and litter attract vermin; and other people should have a reasonable expectation that papers and books placed on a library table won't come away with smears of nacho flavoring.

But, rest assured, if any patrons should ask me for nutrition advice, I won't miss the chance to proselytize.

TheCaveman Wed, Dec-16-09 14:10

Quote:
the crunching is disturbing the quiet;

You mean, like, iPod quiet?

Quote:
the crumbs and litter attract vermin;

That must be some library!

Quote:
and other people should have a reasonable expectation that papers and books placed on a library table won't come away with smears of nacho flavoring.

As opposed to other sorts of smears?

You're not Mr. Hand; you're just not them.

What if eating while reading helps you learn better?