Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What makes your insulin spike??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=32661)

misselly Mon, Feb-04-02 14:31

Well, the decaf coffee was a winner.... no drop in BS. Very interesting......Still wanting to check out the Diet Coke with buzz....

jomil Tue, Feb-05-02 05:04

Miselly, I am following your tests with a great deal of interest.

You are to be congratulated for your efforts.

I have tried all week-end to do my first bs and have had no success to get the results on my monitor due to insufficient blood sample. Hopefully I will get the routine down pat sooner rather then later.

Meanwhile perhaps you can clarify some questions that I have:

1. What is buzz coffee?
2. What reading range is normal, and what is high on your meter, because my American monitor shows 3 digit numbers. ie about 100 is normal first thing in the morning.
3. What have you really learned so far?

Thanks for any info.

Regards
Joe

misselly Tue, Feb-05-02 06:07

As expected the no buzz coffee kept the BS stable...Fish with cut up veggies for lunch had no ill effects. Had ryvita with butter before my evening class... went down slightly, but ryvita is made from rye flour, which has a lower glycemic, therefore no big rush of insulin there....

misselly Tue, Feb-05-02 06:21

Joe

Buzz coffee is with caffeine..No buzz is without caffeine....

This link will help you convert to your 3 digit numbers
Yes 100 is normal between 90 and 110 so a wake up with 100 is PERFECT>>>>
I don't know how to insert a link but here is the address

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/diabetes/f.../section-9.html

I have learned to stay away from buzzed products.... coffee, chocolate, coke, etc. They are no good for me....

Any carbs I have must have a low glycemic index.... 1/2 grapefruit, rye bread, see website

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

This comes with a searchable database...

Quote:
What is Glycemic Index of Food?

The glycemic index of food is a ranking of foods based on their immediate effect on blood glucose (blood sugar) levels. Carbohydrate foods that breakdown quickly during digestion have the highest glycemic indexes. Their blood sugar response is fast and high. Carbohydrates that breakdown slowly, releasing glucose gradually into the blood stream, have low glycemic indexes.

This is important since we want to eat good carbs when we allow ourselves to increase our carbs per day....

Good luck and let me know how you make out. Remember, your insulin is released quickly after the food hits your mouth. So for the idiots who are chewing and spitting out the food (the latest craze with students on a diet) your insulin is already roaming around looking for trouble. Of course, if there is really no glucose to deal with, you have put your body into a hypoglycemic state... LOW BLOOD SUGAR.... which is not good..... Be smart, eat smart and if you have trouble on your own.... ask God for help.

Miss Elly

allisonm Tue, Feb-05-02 12:06

This is really interesting. I may have to brave the little lances and try it myself. I want to know if cocoa powder that I add to my whey protein has undesirable effects. And I still want to know about the effect of smelling and thinking about high-carbs foods. Atkins says in some people that alone can stimulate insulin. I wonder if I'm one of them.

Your mention of this chewing and spitting trend reminds me of a woman I knew in college twenty years ago who did the same. She developed a bad eating disorder which manifested itself in her sleep -- she started sleep-walking and finding candy in the dorm in the middle of the night. She would chew it up and spit it out in her sleep. In the morning she would wake up and find chewed-up-and-spit-out Milk Duds all over her dorm room.

Last I heard she is still anorexic and pretty unhealthy. She used to be really sweet and kind, before the anorexia, now she's reportedly tempermental and mean.

Keep us posted on the blood sugar reports.

Allison

razzle Tue, Feb-05-02 12:16

misselly, it'd be interesting to note that, as you collected these numbers, if you eventually are able to association feelings somehow with the results. I suspect I know my safe carbs (all low GI/GL ones) without doing the testing--just a matter of how I feel, if I crave them, etc. I'll be interested in seeing if you find correlations between your hard data here and a more "sensed" experience with these same substances.

misselly Tue, Feb-05-02 12:55

that is very interesting..... i must say that i have the "satisfied" feeling much longer with low gi foods. But last week i did a BS and was at 1.7mmol and had no idea that my BS was low. Felt just fine. I have seen my BS go to 10.5 and I must admit I feel the drop when it falls like a lead balloon to below 2. I will keep notes on that razzle..... thanks for the interest

misselly Tue, Feb-05-02 21:05

i will comment on the cocoa powder.... I have a recipie my assistant made for me that did nothing to affect my bs.... I've never tried it with protein but will be happy to oblige.... will let you know..... thanks for you interest allison....

by the way.... at our low carb weight loss class tonight someone brought in an amazing oriental soup.... will try and post the recipie for all to enjoy.....

allisonm Wed, Feb-06-02 21:23

Oh, well if you already tried something with cocoa powder and it didn't affect your bs (I must have missed that one) than it probably wouldn't make any difference with protein.

Where did you find a low-carb class? Is it like a WW meeting where everyone's trying to lose weight or is it a nutrition course?

Allison

misselly Thu, Feb-07-02 04:22

i joined curves for women.. there is a franchise in most cities.. they have a free six week diet class. it is great. they encourage low carb and low cal low carb for those who cannot lose on low carb. its a great sharing time.

i had a wonderful "level 2" chocolate cake that seemed to do ok with my system... i wanted to try the chocolate (cocoa) after 4 hours of no food. I can do that later today (my office assistant who is tiny is always baking and cooking for me and yesterday made low carb brownies). They are made with unsweetened chocolate....will that do the same test for you???

misselly Thu, Feb-07-02 04:24

forgot to change my profile but am down 1 more pound this week.... yipeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now at 156

allisonm Thu, Feb-07-02 20:39

Woohoo! Go Miss Elly!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

That's great! Congratulations! A pound lost at your small size is like three pounds lost at my size. I think I last weighed 156 when I was 16. It lasted about a month.

Your test sounds good; chocolate cake sounds better. What's level 2?

Allison

misselly Fri, Feb-08-02 05:34

allison....

don't discourage... i was 194 too. that was a few years ago. i take this program in stages... small goals. 10 pounds at a time. now i take it in smaller stages.... 5 pounds at a time. you will see the 1XX's soon and we are all rooting for you. Stick to program and let's see you get there in 3 months....with chocolate cake!!! Level 2 is Suzanne Sommers. I follow many different programs, depends on where I am going at the time. I like Somers when I travel south because you can start the day off with fruit. But whether its Atkins, CAddict, Sommers, Schwartzbein etc. they all work at controlling insulin. PUBLIC ENEMY # 1!!!

Gabrielle Fri, Feb-08-02 07:23

Thank you for the wonderful idea

I have hypoglacemia (chonic low blood sugar) and what you're doing I think is a great idea. I never thought of it, but since I have a glucomiter myself I'll have to try it. My system is highly sensitive it seems and testing like this would help me figure out what I can, can't handle. My blood sugar never goes very high even with a strong carb meal and it plumits soon after.

Anyhow, good luck with your research. I think it's a great idea. hmm..who was it that said this "Know thyself"? Wasn't is Socrates? Boy was he ever right on that remark. :)

Gabrielle

misselly Fri, Feb-08-02 08:51

Gabrielle....my understanding of hypoglycemia is that you are the opposite extreme of diabetes, but a hairline away from diabetes.... an overproductive pancreas is just as bad as an underproductive one. I suggest that this knowing your condition it is of the utmost importance for you to get control of your insulin. I would suggest that you eat very controlled food until you get your condition under control.... What is your BS when you wake up.... Should be around 110 or 5.6mmol?????