Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   10 pounds by Christmas - join me? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=271630)

losingmich Tue, Nov-01-05 17:36

Welcome everyone!

I'm glad to hear that so many of you have decided to join and that you made it through Halloween unscathed. I, on the other hand, didn't manage it, although I didn't gain any, I didn't lose either.

I'm feeling that my jeans are looser though, and I have been tugging them up all day since I long ago gave up the whole belt idea. Maybe I will have to resurrect them again!

I'm trying to drink my water, I am only on 2 glasses today, but as soon as I finish this mail I am going to go have another.

I have a larger goal than 10 pounds but I'm starting this mini goal at 188, so I will be aiming for 178 by Christmas. I haven't been that weight since my wedding 3 years ago, and it will be great to get rid of the baby weight that I am still carrying before I go and do something crazy like have another one!

Anyways, I'm off to do a workout, my daughter is napping so it is my only chance. I just bought it but haven't tried it yet...it is the New York Ballet workout, and I am excited to give it a whirl!

Keep on track everyone!

Mich

veronicac Wed, Nov-02-05 08:42

i think their called carb blockers do you guys use the ketosis strips?

veronicac Wed, Nov-02-05 08:53

losingmitch how do you set up your signature i am not to good with computers you know the ticker progress thing

Hybrid Wed, Nov-02-05 09:30

Halloween scathed me. To avoid trick-or-treaters during dinner, I went to an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. The vegetable oil they probably use for cooking didn't bother my stomach, but when I tried eating the honey sesame chicken, it just shut down. I think the honey may have corn starch and/or sugar added to it. I've got to remember that those places aren't safe.

losingmich Wed, Nov-02-05 12:01

editing signature

Hey Vernica,

You go to the top blue bar and click on User CP. Then you can choose "edit signature" In the box that they give you you can type stuff like "10 pounds by X-mas" or whatever you want to show up everytime that you type a message. If you want at ticker bar, go to tickerfactory.com and make you ticker, then cut and paste the bbcode stuff into the edit signature box. It helps if you have 2 windows open, one on tickerfactory and one on the edit signature page.

Good luck. The only thing about the ticker is that it seems that every time you want to change info, you have to make a new ticker and re-paste it into your signature.

Hybrid: I know what you mean about eating out. That was pretty smart to eat the honey chicken, but I guess that we never really know what is in anything unless we make it ourselves.

What plans are you all following? I just finished my two weeks of induction, and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep on it or move to OWL. Anyone know how many carbs you can have on OWL?

Mich

kevgar Wed, Nov-02-05 12:41

Something has gotta give

Ok, I'm in. I have been stuck floating between 240 and 242 for a month now. My biggest challenge is getting to the gym. Don't get me wrong, I love to exercise, but I had changed jobs in Jan 05 and before that I rode my bike to work everyday, and I mean everyday. I live in California so even the winters are generally mild. Now work is so far away and inaccessible for any portion to ride I have been stuck in a car 45 minutes a day twice a day for almost a year. I was down to 220 but have crept up even while doing LC most of the time. The only time I get to the gym is on the weekends, not enough.

If I make a commitment of 10lbs before Dec 25th at least it's in writing.

Question, I do a NO CARB program. I have seen where people state you have to eat some carbs to lose weight. My problem is I HATE, and I mean HATE veggies, I always have. I think it stems from my mom who could not cook and always bought frozen Joly Green Giant veggies. I have tried fresh Veggies and I can barely swallow them. To me it taste like dirt. Do I need to up my carb intake and if so with what food? I need something I can stomach and at the same time not easily overdo, example being peanuts.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Kevin

sanfar Wed, Nov-02-05 17:42

Hi All, I'm still on induction :clap:

Hybrid, I sympathesise with your eating out experience - not to worry just keep going! :)

Kevgar, I like seeing the commitment in writing as well - perhaps an exercise bike might be helpful to you? I have one on my Xmas wish list. On the veggie dislike front; do you like tomatoes or cucumber or fresh strawberries (presuming you can get them in your part of the world)? They would be a good way to get your carbs up. Perhaps you could check out the recipe section on this site as you may find something there you could live with :) You are doing SO WELL; keep going :cheer:

Good luck all

Sandra

BankerMom Wed, Nov-02-05 19:19

Can I join you? I'm sure my loss will be slowing, but I'd love to make 10 lbs by xmas a goal!

Trinigirl Wed, Nov-02-05 21:22

Hi Everyone,
Called my old gym, but did not make it in today. Hope to make it in tomorrow. Must get working out, itis the only thing missing in my new way of life, went out tonight to a Christmas party at one on my suppliers, the only thing I could eat was cheese, thank goodness for good old fashion cheese. lol.
Wishing all the very best in this quest.
Warmest Regards,
Joy

BankerMom Thu, Nov-03-05 05:50

A Christmas party already? Wow!

We had a lunch buffet for someone's 30th anniversary with the bank yesterday and it was all ITALIAN - lasagna and alfredo chicken penne pasta and garlic bread!!! LOL! I had a salad with oil and vinegar and then proceeded to pick a bunch of the chicken out of the penne pasta (hoping nobody was watching!)

I also made it through Halloween Unscathed - amazing since there is still candy all over the place at my house (have two little ones). But, I think of myself as a sugarholic and just like an alcoholic, even a tiny bit is NOT OK.

BankerMom Thu, Nov-03-05 05:55

I'm also in the same place as some of you - done with induction, but I've kept going on the very low to nil carb thing because I don't know how much to add and frankly - I'm scared! Should I just consider adding some fresh fruit and maybe some carb veggies like corn and tomatoes? I don't want to stop my weight loss and I do already eat a lot of salads, so maybe I'm already eating more carbs than I think? I'm confused!?!

nocarbkat Thu, Nov-03-05 06:05

I want to join!! I have never done a challenge before!! So...here I go....My goals are to get into the gym at least 4 times a week, and to lose 10 pounds by christmas!!

rodmick Thu, Nov-03-05 06:44

BANKERMOM~ ok I'm no expert but I'd advise adding more LC veggies or maybe berries. Not corn

veronicac Thu, Nov-03-05 07:34

Losingmitch thankyou for telling me how to edit my signature.do you think 10lbs is to much of a weight lose in a week on induction?

Hybrid Thu, Nov-03-05 09:57

Losingmich, honey's allowed on my diet in small amounts, so I figured the amount of honey needed to cook chicken has got to be pretty low. Turns out they used some sort of thickener... and I'll be dollars to donuts it wasn't guar gum. I won't know the damage until Monday when I weigh myself. I've got a sore throat, so I'm also eating Halls Defense. While one of the candies provides 100% of my allowance of C, the first two ingredients are sugar and glucose syrup. Since I talk for a living, I need to "shoot first and ask questions later" when it comes to sore throats.

Kevgar, I aver that a carbohydrate free diet is safe and effective. There are two out-of-print books that I recommend that deal with the subject. "Meat Three Times a Day" and "Fat of the Land." I've only had the chance to read the former, as the latter would cost me about $200 to acquire. An all meat diet, especially an all-beef diet, will provide all the nutrition one needs. Since some nutrition is lost in cooking, I would advise a multi (or you can just raw meat, if that's your preferred method). I'm trying to do a very low carb version of my diet until I'm back under 293, but the cough drops and so forth are being pains.

I've been doing better, though. 91.1 grams carbohydrates for the past two weeks, but only 73.81 for this week. I want to keep it under 65. Anything more an I risk a stall.