Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Who said you will lose inches before weight??? This will make you go HUH???? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=265595)

BawdyWench Thu, Sep-15-05 05:08

Foxgluvs, that's pretty much what I've seen also. It seems like those people with the most to lose do better drinking a lot of water than those who have just a little to lose.

AND, everybody IS different. No one thing is perfect for everyone.

Kristine Thu, Sep-15-05 06:57

Quote:
Gosh, there's THREE of us who don't believe the 64 ounces of water per day?

Four. :)

I'm of the opinion that "not enough" isn't good, "enough" is good, but "more" is not better. You should never have to chug, force yourself or feel bloated from it.

Don't underestimate the mirror as a good measurement of success, too. When I kicked up my workouts this past spring, I didn't even lose inches; but I saw clear differences. I could see my little triceps poking out, more defined abs, and my butt, though technically the same size, moved considerably North. :)

ItsTheWooo Thu, Sep-15-05 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeds
Got my monthly weigh in today at Curves.

I want to first say that this month I really hustled and went faithfully 3 days or more per week. I worked super hard on the machines and did extra when time allowed.

Also did take a couple long walks, worked a wee bit with weights, a little dancing, and hooping.

I lost absolutely nothing in inches this month adn actually gained in my abdomen. That floored me becuase I figured I had lost something. So I was sad.
I did lose weight...at least 4 pounds..but also I had drank 3/4 gallons of water during the day and I should have peed before weigh in...it may have been more *wishful thinking*
My BMI and Body fat went down which is good...but I am kinda wondering why there was no loss anywhere adn actaully a gain.

Could I be retaining water with AF (TOM) due the next few days? Any ladies do this???

I am hoping to figure out if I have went wrong somewhere or if my body is in a cyclic funk.

Doing exercise builds muscle. Muscle adds volume (size). Think about it. Are men and women of the same height the same size? No. Men have much more muscles and will be larger even when similar heights.

If your measurements are the same (or increased), and so is your scale weight, BUT your body fat is going down... that's good. It means you're replacing fat with muscle. That's healthy. Keep up the good work.

ItsTheWooo Thu, Sep-15-05 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeds
Thank you everyone....
Gracej yes 3 quarts or three quarters of a gallon is what I was trying to say:) I think that is 3 quarts, right? lol
The scale is down this am so that made me smile...I just was hoping for smaller body parts this month.

I will cut back on aqua and see how that does, altho the past couple days I have been so thiirsty....and not sodium because I have not salted anything..... Will keep ya'll posted:D

Oh please don't do this :lol:
That's so silly. Even if we assume water is bloating you out, so what? Its just water! Worrying about a bit of gain from food is understandable because with food you don't know where it will stop. But with water, come on, no one is going to drink so much that they stop losing weight or become obese from water weight (assuming they haveno health problems anyway).

Water is good for you, and letting yourself go thirsty and doing weird things with your electrolytes just for a scale isn't.

black57 Thu, Sep-15-05 19:17

If you are thirsty, drink. Don't deprive yourself of water, just don't overdo it. We are all different and should realize this when we read "scientific facts". Everyone's body is its own best thermometer. Read it and feed it accordingly.

LukeA Thu, Sep-15-05 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Thanks for the confirmation, Black. We're definitely in the minority around here regarding the whole water thing.

add me too....I have never drank excessive amounts of water. Heck some days I dont even drink plain water. Usually just lots of tea, and the occasional diet soda. My doctor says I am healthier than I have ever been.

dreamseeds Thu, Sep-15-05 20:27

Well I am glad to report that a couple days after this I dropped about 3-4 pounds....and I look good again. I mean I dont have a swollen abdomen and arms now. I dont think I have ever retained so much water before.

I am pretty sure TOM has a lot to do with it. Just not the usual pattern for me to swell like that. Possbily too much water. I am going to watch that next month and also wait a week before my measuring so it falls after my cycle.

Sorry Frederick about too much info here. I do appreciate your comments and I have not ruled out that maybe my muscles are getting bigger and stronger and could have played a roll in this as well. Next month I think will make things clearer when I see my measurements.

Thank you everyone for your comments on this.

vixen69 Fri, Sep-16-05 08:32

Since I've been drinking a lot of water (more than 80oz) since I was a little kid, I can't imagine drinking less. On the rare occasions I do, I get horrible headaches and feel really tired. but everyone's system is different. Do what feels right for you.