Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Mind over matter - mental aerobics... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=24583)

Kirkwood Sat, Nov-03-01 15:08

I've ditched goal dates all together. I plan on having more children, and living this live till I die - so what's the hurry? I didn't put these 75 lbs. on overnight, and I'm not going to take them off that fast either.

--Kirkwood

Muse Sat, Nov-03-01 16:39

Well said, LC!

Guilt is something best saved other issues. It really is a mind set. I have found that I really feel very little guilt with respect to food anymore because for the first time...I feel I understand it, and how it works in my body. Oh I felt some during induction, as I was trying to do things as per the book, but now...now I feel very at peace with food.

I perfectly understand what you mean by saying "your plan" ...and it's true. We get to know ourselves through this WOL and how our bodies respond (or not) to what we eat, and how we do or do not exercise. How I wish I'd learned this years ago.

Thanks for your insight, inspiration, and encouragement. Can't wait to be at goal with you!

Muse

Homegirl Sat, Nov-03-01 18:31

Here, here!

Quote:
In MY plan there is no such thing as a cheat. I am fully aware of what I am putting in my mouth, and have been throughout this journey - and it is all PLANNED, even if the plan began only 3 seconds before I ate it. That's not a cheat - that food I ate just became part of my PLAN. I can keep it in my plan daily, enjoy it monthly or drop it altogether. The choices are all mine because it's MY plan.

Once again, you've put into words the things that I have been feeling about all the changes I have experienced in the way that I think about how food fuels my body, the changes in how I feel (healthier, stronger, clearer in mind, more energetic), and the changes that will have to be permanent and the ones that I will be able to "tweak" to fit into "MY PLAN."

Thank you

Ka3n Sat, Nov-03-01 20:25

Quote:
However, I will confess - I have the occasional (about once a month) treat of REAL maple syrup (usually on pancakes). It could be just my own twisted thinking - but I believe that my food should come from the farm, not the laboratory. Quite frankly, I feel better about having the once a month maple syrup than I do about the once a month Splenda.
I feel the same way that you do about the laboratory foods. :thdown: When I'm a little further along and can have more carbs, I want to experiment with date sugar. Now, it'd be like giving myself heroin...I can wait until I'm further along, even fruit triggers major craving episodes. I'm so glad to hear that you're able to handle real maple syrup. :D
You have a great attitude, Lc Sponge. You're a dear to share your journey with us about this WOL, thanks! :wave:

LC Sponge Sun, Nov-04-01 16:13

Ka3n, Homegirl, Muse, Kirkwood

You will all meet any goal you set for yourselves. You are strong, capable and wise.

Ka3n- you are clever to know your own limitations right now. Rest assured the day will come when you will be able to eat fruit and not have any triggers (yes and maple syrup too, if you fancy it). (PS - I only just figured out the poetry in your "Ka3n" by the way - cool!)

Homegirl and Muse - Right on. It's all about taking control of our lives. Watch the newbies - the ones that stick around that is, - the sooner they *own* the plan they are following, wrestle it to the ground and declare it "THEIRS", the more successful they are.

Kirkwood - :) my sentiments exactly - I must have said that to myself 3 times a day for at least a year - it really helped.

Ka3n Sun, Nov-04-01 19:12

LC,
Thanks about Ka3n...Katherine was taken, necessity being the mother of invention and all...
BTW, what did your dh think of your glow in the dark fingernail polish??? ;)

LC Sponge Mon, Nov-05-01 05:12

He was pretty amused - I got up at 2:30 a.m. that night and after having the bathroom light on, I re-ignited them, and scared myself.

Then I had to wake him up to show him.

2 hours later, he woke me up to show me his. (nails that is - he hadn't painted them, he just thought it would be funny to wake me up and show me his blank nails.) What a funny guy :)

Ka3n Mon, Nov-05-01 10:22

LOL!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!
You are a riot, LC! :D ...scared yourself...I'm still LOL! :lol:

grrlpwer Mon, Nov-05-01 10:26

TOO FUNNY

OMG LC that is so funny,...I wish i could have seen your face when he woke you up...lmao :D

RamonaK Mon, Nov-05-01 11:22

Wow...

This is a great thread!!! The conversations are great. Choosing low carb eating as a way of life. A healthy way of life. I love that... I think also for me... it has a lot to do with loving myself enough to care... eat better... nourish myself. I have felt so deprived for most of my life because I could never eat the way others do... and then I let that deprivation drivel over into other areas of my life... doing without things etc. Sad when you think about it... I am transforming myself into a 'juicy goddess'.. :)

Now I know why everyone suggests posting ... asking for help etc... it really does help....

Although I have to admit... I NEVER in my wildest dreams would have thought of melting cream cheese and butter with Splenda and plopping it on pork rinds... and adding salsa... holy chow!!

Do you have any other wild and crazy receipes?

Ramona

LC Sponge Mon, Nov-05-01 19:16

I call it my "Mexican Cheesecake Recipe"

You serve it melted because there is very little refrigeration in Mexico. :D

Remember what the famous American philosopher George Carlin once said:

"Nail 2 things together that have never been nailed together before, and some schmuck will buy it from you!"

Ka3n Tue, Nov-06-01 12:26

Quote:
Remember what the famous American philosopher George Carlin once said
LOL! :lol: I wonder what comedian George Carlin would say if he knew that he was referred to as a famous philosopher!
My favorite one of his, re: John Grey's books:
"Men are from earth, women are from earth. Deal with it!"
:p

missydog Wed, Nov-07-01 17:44

LC,

Just wanted to add that I tried your suggestion of visualising things, specifically, I visualized myself not eating something that I had wanted to eat, and I felt an immediate effect in my whole mind! It's different from trying to exert "will power." It actually changes my very being! Also, I finally realized that sometimes when I'm wanting to eat something and trying hard not to, I go into this kind of trance where the only thing on my mind is that food item that I can't have. Oh, I think I'm putting it out of my mind, but really the trance has me captive. Today when I sat in a Starbuck's with a cup of coffee, wanting very much to eat a piece of crumb cake, I simply experimented with visualizing the "not eating" of it and I felt flooded with strength to resist. So just for extra insurance, I also visualized myself NOT stopping at the ice cream store on my way back from lunch (LOL!). This is a wonderful discovery I've made, based on your recommendations. So thank you very much! :)

Missydog :)

LC Sponge Wed, Nov-07-01 19:26

Glad you're having fun with it (and obviously becoming a PRO at it too Missydog!)

I wonder if that same trick would work -- if on Mondays, you visualized Tuesdays!! :D