Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Prevention magazine quiz (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=207322)

Lez Sat, Sep-04-04 06:59

well I got 1 out of 10.

so I havnt lost 50lb cos i'm don't know how to Lc.

Kristine Sat, Sep-04-04 09:20

:lol: Funny... but sad that a lot of people probably take Prevention and WebMD to be gospel. An oatmeal cookie has a lower carb count than a strawberry dipped in dark chocolate? Salad (useless iceberg lettuce) over a bunless burger? Whatever! :rolleyes:

CindySue48 Sat, Sep-04-04 12:37

Kristine: "An oatmeal cookie has a lower carb count than a strawberry dipped in dark chocolate?"

I love oatmeal cookies....and as much as I'd like to see them be healthy, I cannot believe they actually recomend a cookie over fresh fruit!

Angeline Sat, Sep-04-04 17:36

It's suggestions like that, that gives low-carb a bad reputation. As if no consideration is given to the healthfulness of a food, only the carb count.

This shows they don't understand what low-carb is about. It's not just counting absolute grams of carb. It's about replacing highly refined products with natural unrefined wholesome food.

Even if there was a little more carbs in strawberries than in an oatmeal cookie, we would still go for the fruit, because 1) it's chock-full of vitamins and anti-oxidants and 2) it tastes 10 times better than some crappy commercial cookie.

Of course, this isn't what the commercial cookie industry wants to hear, so one must wonder if they aren't behind this.

Angeline
--Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

pambam Mon, Sep-06-04 00:12

Silly quiz!

I'd worry about the person who got 100% on this quiz!

1. We all know that eating low GI foods are better than high GI - but to say that they 'prevent type 2 diabetes' is ridiculous. There are certainly other factors and 2 years of eating low GI cannot erase 30 years of eating high GI!

2. I tried WW Flexpoints because I travel a lot and thought it would be easy for my lifestyle. NOT! I was starving all the time! I tried combining low carb and flexpoints - that will really show you that we definitely eat more calories on low carb.

watcher16 Mon, Sep-06-04 06:55

9 OK for me. The false one is about the sweet potatoe that should be OK.

camaromom Sun, Feb-06-05 11:50

I only got 5 right. I agree with the other posters. The answers I chose were the berries, the burger etc. They need to go back to lc diets 101. LOL

ceberezin Sun, Feb-06-05 16:02

Broccoli rabe is also known as rapini. It's a dark green leafy vegetable usually with a few florets attached. Saute it in garlic and olive oil . . . I't's delicious and very low carb.