Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   I am so weak..HELP! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=201890)

LisaAC Thu, Aug-05-04 10:57

beth,

Hang in there, it does get better. For the first two to three days you're going to crave like crazy, at least I know I did, but that's your body detoxing from all those danged sugars. And believe me, I've fallen off the perverbal wagon so much I've lost count. The important thing is, IF and when you do fall off, count it as a treat, and get right back on the next day. Don't stop trying.

You also might be having low blood sugar. I am hypoglycemic, chronic low blood sugar, and I've found if I don't eat enough veggies that I get very weak. When I start feeling really weak I'll drink a small can of V8 juice. It has about 7 carbs, but it also has a lot of vitamins too.

I also keep roma tomatoes around for my salad and I'll eat one if my blood sugar starts to drop. One roma tomato has 3 carbs, but it's perfect size for a salad when cut up. A lot of times I am just not hungry, but when my bloodsugar drops I know I have to eat something.

You might also keep low carb snacks with you just incase you start to get hungry. But try increasing your carbs just enough. And like someone else said, take a multivitamin. :)

niaha Thu, Aug-05-04 11:03

beth1954...hang in there......that was the hardest time for me also......but I lost 40 pounds in four months...I did get discuraged my first time starting..even thou I read the book and read the book over and over again......but finally I put my determination to change my life...now I wish I would have held strong to begin with...... Beth if you need a friend I am here for you.
lisa

toofattoo Thu, Aug-05-04 11:44

I agree with all of the above. It will get better. Don't fixate on what you can't eat and experiment on what you can. I can't believe you are tired of the food already. What were you eating before? I was eating a lot of the meats already, but I was also eating sweets, bread and drinking a lot of skim milk. And drinking a lot of beer. All bad for you. There must be something that you like. Have you look at the list of things you can have? There is a lot. Good luck and I hope you feel better. :bhug: Peg

AntiM Thu, Aug-05-04 13:13

{{Hi Beth}}

Everyone else had good suggestions about taking things one day at a time. It's essential.

Here's my idea: Start a new thread and list as many Induction approved veggies as you tolerate. Put them in order, favorites to 'I can choke them down'. Ask us to share our ideas for preparing them, special recipes that make them tasty. You have to expand your horizons if you don't want to spit up on your computer screen. :lol:

I also want to address the depression issue. If this has been an ongoing problem in your life, you might want to talk with a health care provider about it flaring up. Clinical depression is nothing to mess with, and if you're beginning a downward spiral, get help before it gets bad.

Maybe it's a cat lover thing? :) I've dealt with this since my teens and I don't have the luxury of being medication free if I want to stay alive. That sounds dramatic, but it's true. A LC diet has helped me a lot, btw ... whether it's my more stable blood sugar or the chemical changes that eating differently has brought, I don't know. Just that it's better now.

Take care of all your health. :rheart:

PS - Many of us strive to keep our fat % ratio that high. If you read Dr. Atkins books, he talks about carb+fat being the problem with blood fat related health problems. As long as your carbs are low, a high fat diet is a great way to help you burn body fat.

PPS - Have you tried CarbCountdown milk? I have a 1/2 cup with 1/2 cup of Atkins breakfast cereal every once in a while. It's a delish treat for me, but I haven't had real milk or cereal for a long time ... like most LC processed foods, they're never going to be as good as the real thing and it takes a while for your tastebuds to change. In other words, you might not think it's so tasty! They've been approved as 'Induction Friendly' on the Atkins website, but not everyone would agree that eating this type of food in your first few weeks is a good idea, physiologically. Better in my mind that eating sugar alcohols. Way better than going off plan! CarbCountdown milk is a bit thick for me to drink straight, but it makes a lovely shake when you blend it up with frozen berries. And you can do that in a mere 11 days!

Just keep telling yourself that you can do this. We know you can because many of us have gone through the same challenge. It's not easy to change, but it is worth it in 1000 different ways.