Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Divina's Time To Shape Up!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=190114)

Built Fri, Jun-11-04 20:01

Good girl!

Isn't it a great workout? My buddy who sets up my training programmes for me did it up when I first started lifting. It's SUCH a nice, balanced package.

Now, couple of things.
You can do leg curls with a dumbbell held between your feet, lying face-down on a bench (thanks liftnlady!).

Or, do dumbbell deadlifts for the hammies and glutes:

And the dumbbell lateral raises - 15 an arm is WAAAAY too heavy. I think, anyway.
I use 12 an arm, and I'm pretty strong. This one isn't as much of a mass-builder as a shoulder warm-up. I do three sets of 10 using the 12s, and keep my arms pretty straight. I see guys doing WAY too much on these, and their arms are BENT and they are jerking the dumbbells up like they're trying to fly because they can't handle the torque caused by holding their arms out the whole way.

Really control the dumbbell in BOTH directions. SLOW, hold it for a second at the top, and let it down slow. If you can't get through your sets doing this, it's too heavy.

Lead with the pinky-side of your dumbbell. Elbows up just a hair higher than the wrist.

Keep 'em light-ish. You want to FEEL it, but be able to keep proper form through all the sets.

I'd say the same thing for flyes - I only do 15 a side NOW. You get a massive stretch through the pecs from this one. Chest press, you can do a LOT more, but keep the flyes on the light side, stretch your arms out like you're hugging a REALLY big tree, and get in the stretch.

You can really hurt yourself going too heavy on these. It's an excentric movement (stretching the muscle while it's being exerted), so it's good for setting up the pec to pump up more with the chest-press (stretches out the fascia).

Let's see if you hate me tomorrow....<cringes>

- Built

dazzlin182 Fri, Jun-11-04 20:08

hi divina hope you don't mind me stopping by saw ya on lifting threads,

anyway i can see you're doing great - sore is good huh lol - keep it up!

p/s love your avatar very pretty

shaz

Built Fri, Jun-11-04 20:11

Yes, I meant to say something about that picture. You look SO beautiful.

:)

Divina99 Fri, Jun-11-04 20:26

:) Thanks so much for the compliments on the avatar shaz and Built!

And thank you a TON :D Built for the workout info!

Gosh...come to think of it now...I was doing those lifts kinda fast...last ones were so hard...I could barely lift my arms all the way. So I'm going to try less weight next time. ;)

Quote:
Let's see if you hate me tomorrow....<cringes>

I don't know whether to laugh :lol: or cry :tears: ...I can feel the burn right now in my arm and leg muscles. Good thing tomorrow is Saturday..I can lay in bed all day and night.LoL

Seriously though..I really loved the workout...it IS a GREAT package! I also enjoyed viewing the links to the animated exercises...helped alot with checking my posture and how to do the move correctly.:thup:

Can't wait to try Workout 1..I think? :eek:

Built Fri, Jun-11-04 20:37

Try the shoulder-raises with 5s or 8s. Don't go heavier than that for a while. Do them long and slow - NO jerking in either direction, hold at the top.

Same deal with bicep curls - slow up, curl hard at the top, a little slower down. USE the negatives!

And you are MOST welcome.

- Built

mle_ii Fri, Jun-11-04 20:55

Yes, great work out. I can't wait til I can start into my regular routine.

Divina99 Sat, Jun-12-04 13:05

Ok Built...I better clarify that it was the concentration curl that I did with the 25lb weight...and it killed me to do 6! (sore elbow the next day too)

I'm taking it easy next workout and trying the 15lb one so I can get in a bit more reps..like 8-12 and with good form.

Built Sat, Jun-12-04 23:16

If it was me, I'd just stick to the regular seated alternating bicep curls for now. You get a bit more of a stretch with it.

Divina99 Mon, Jun-14-04 06:14

Couldn't get online to post this last night (I think they were doing maintenance on this forum?). I did most of the WO from what I could remember...forgot to copy it into my notes.:rolleyes: I just couldn't skip my WO even with all the excuses and reasons not to do it...I finished my WO at 12 midnight!

Built's WO #1 (well kinda :D )

WORKOUT 1
abs 3 minutes

LEG Used 15lb weights each side.
lunges 3 sets of 20-13-10 (Going to increase weights for legs next WO)

Stiff Legged Deadlifts 25-16-12

Seated leg extensions 2 sets of 100-41 (too many reps)
(Placed 15lb weight above my feet and lifted upwards?...I felt my thighs and inner thighs muscles working)

BACK 15lb weight each side

Shrugs 3 sets of 30-21-18

Forgot Dumbbell Bent-over Row.:daze:

I had back pain earlier during the day...so maybe it was better to skip this one.

BICEPS 15lb weight each side (have to increase weight for biceps too- triceps..that's another story.LoL)

Seated alternating dumbbell curls 3 sets of 30-15-10-9

Concentration curls 3 sets of 21-8-8(R) 19-8-4(L)

Great WO overall! I'm just glad I was able to get something done. :D

*Forgot to include walking yesterday - 20 blocks.

dazzlin182 Tue, Jun-15-04 06:32

hi divina how are you today?

Quote:
just couldn't skip my WO even with all the excuses and reasons not to do it
good job on the w/o.

yes i feel the same way too no excuse for w/o its just getting fun and fun (at the moment). one question, i saw your set/reps are like 20-13-10,30-21-18 etc, does it have any advantage of doing reps like that? mine, i just blind followed instruction from the exrx website, but if you reps style could produce better (or faster lol) result, maybe i should do it that way too :confused:? whats your thought? :D

thanks xoxo

Divina99 Tue, Jun-15-04 19:49

WORKOUT 2

abs 3 minutes

Going to have to make myself a 20lb weight for next time..still too many reps with some exercises.

LEGS
Dumbbell Squat: 50lbs 3 sets of 23-15-10

Straight leg-deadlift 50lbs 3 sets of 15-12-10-8

SHOULDERS 10lbs each arm.

Dumbbell lateral raises 4 sets of 10-8-8-7
Damn that hurt!

Dumbbell shoulder (military) press...3 sets of 20-12-12

CHEST
Push-ups 4x11(God I'm exhausted!)-9-8-7

incline dumbbell press 4 sets of 21 (10lb)-15 (increased weight to 15lb)-12-10
leaned back on a chair.

TRICEPS
overhead tricep extensions 15lbs 3 sets of 10-8-6

kickbacks 3 sets of 10 lbs 15-10-7

I'm whipped!!! :o UGH!

Divina99 Thu, Jun-17-04 19:41

WORKOUT 1
abs 3 minutes

LEG Used 35lb weights each side.
lunges 4 sets of 7-4-3-2

Seated leg extensions 4 sets of 15-10-7-5
(Placed 25lb weight above my feet and lifted upwards)

BACK 25lb weight each side

Dumbbell Bent-over Row 4 sets of 15-12-10-8

Shrugs 3 sets of 15-12-10

BICEPS
Concentration curls 25lbs - 3 sets of 7-4-3

Seated alternating dumbbell curls 15lbs- 4 sets of 15-10-9-5

Protein shake post-lifting.

Divina99 Sun, Jun-20-04 14:42

WORKOUT 2 Didn't feel like I did too much today...too tired...I should have waited until Mon.

abs 3 minutes

LEGS
Dumbbell Squat: 70lbs 3 sets of 15-12-9

Straight leg-deadlift 70lbs 3 sets of 15-12-9

SHOULDERS 15lbs each arm.

Dumbbell lateral raises 3 sets of 8-5-5

Dumbbell shoulder press...3 sets of 15-9-8

CHEST
Push-ups 3x 12-10-7

Incline dumbbell press 3 sets of 15lb 12-11-9

TRICEPS
Overhead tricep extensions 10lbs 3 sets of 8-5-3

Built Sun, Jun-20-04 14:55

Good job!

Watch it with the dumbbell shoulder raises - my opinion: you'd be better off sticking with the 10s, and doing 3 sets of 10 in perfect form, slow up, count off a second at the top, slow down on the negative. Warms up the shoulder joint, sets it up to do shoulder press, where you CAN go heavier without risking damage.

Have you tried Arnie presses for shoulders? I LOVE Arnies. They hit the side and back heads more than military press, which mostly hits the front head.

Edited to add in what an Arnie press is:

Arnie Press:

Starting Position
With a dumbbell in each hand, sit on a flat bench (back-rest recommended) and position each dumbbell directly in front of the shoulder with the palms facing towards you (thumbs OUT). Maintain the abdominals tight and the lower back in a neutral position.

With a rotating motion, push the dumbbells up so that the palms are facing out (thumbs TOGETHER) when the arms are fully extended at the top (at the top the dumbbells should come fairly close to each other but not touch). Pause and rotating the hands inward lower the dumbbells to the starting position.

Divina99 Sun, Jun-20-04 18:32

Cool! :thup: Thanks Built...I will try the Arnie Press next shoulder WO. :D...and also stick with the 10's when doing the shoulder raises.:agree: