Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [CKD] CKD questions, queries, & posers! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=178839)

ellen4621 Thu, Apr-22-04 16:09

A couple of "quick" questions -- would my Special K w/ strawberries be okay for my carb-up breakfast? Regular Special K is listed with a GI of 69 (high end of intermediate range) w/ a GL of 14 (mid-range of intermediate range) according to "The New Glucose Revolution Complete Guide to Glycemic Index Values" (whew! that's a mouthful!) But mine has the added (dehydrated) strawberries, which is NOT listed in the book noted above. Or should I raid my kids Cinnamon Toast Crunch? :p or (my fave) Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch?!

Also, since I have NEVER done low fat in any way, shape or form b4 in my life (can't stand the taste/texture of most LF or FF foods), would I be better off having "regular" (i.e. sugar added) LF or FF yogurt or the new Lite 85 FF yogurt which is sweetened w/ Splenda?

I'm hoping that someone gets back to me later today or this evening 'cuz I'm gonna be getting up at 4 a.m. to do my depletion WO and then start my first carb-up after that! :D If I have time, I'll eat an apple but do I really have to wait a whole HOUR b4 working out? If I do, then I'm gonna do my depletion WO "commando"!

Will check back later this evening - thanks in advance! :)

Chipperoo Thu, Apr-22-04 16:47

Well, I don't think the bit of strawberries in SpK will do you much harm, I eat strawberries frequently 'cause they are SO good for ya (antioxidant RICH, never knew that until started this), although I only eat a few...3-4 med/large...on any keto day, but I would eat more on carb-up if I get the chance, I don't even know how much fructose it in them. You can eat fruit during carb-up, just keep it low.

I do know that Cin. Toast Crunch is a fairly higher fat cereal, whereas I eat loads of Honey Grahms, which is low fat. Any low fat cereal will do, just read the label.

Don't know about the yogurt, I eat some occasionally on carb-up, low fat regular, whether right or wrong, don't know, but I think that the more weight you have to lose, the less "clean" your carb-up has to be to be affective. And then, some people can get away with more than others as far as that goes. You just have to go ahead and give it a try and then "tweak" it to work for you. If you your weight is dropping, it's working!

Of course, always weigh yourself same time of week, I think best time is in the morning of your depletion workout day, as it should be your lowest of the week. Although, this doesn't even always work, because you may have lost fat, but gained muscle.

ellen4621 Thu, Apr-22-04 16:53

Thanks Chip! Now I'm off to read cereal boxes..... :p (The things I do.....)

jagbender Fri, Apr-23-04 07:52

keep an eye out for Hydroginated Oils. Not good for you.
Some of my favorite Carb up cereals contain them.
Frosted flakes do not.
Jag

Trainerdan Fri, Apr-23-04 07:56

I love frosted flakes as a carb-up food.

They're great. <groan>.

Thank you! Next show at 11:00! I'm here all week! :)

jagbender Fri, Apr-23-04 08:01

BTW folks I did my first carb up Duchaine style last weekend.
I hit the scales this morning and was 1.2 pounds down from last Friday's weight!!!!!
Yeee Haaaawwwww!
Jag

ellen4621 Fri, Apr-23-04 08:18

More confused now....

Okay.....don't know how to "pull" quotes, but the comment you made Chip regarding the strwbrries probably "won't do you much harm" , well - freaked me out! :eek: Here's what I've got in my cupboards:

Grt Grains: 1/2 cup - 40 cal from fat; 4.5 total fat; 40 g carbs - 1 fiber

Cinn Tst Crnch: 3/4 c - 30 cal from fat; 3.5 total fat; 24 g crb - 1 fiber

Reese's Puffs: 3/4 c - 25 cal from fat; 3 total fat; 23 g crb - 0 fiber

Spcl K w/ Berries: 1 c - 0 cal from fat; 0 total fat; 25 g crb - 1 fiber

Cinn Life: 3/4 c - 15 cal from fat; 1.5 total fat; 25 g crb - 2 fiber

Hny Nut Shrd Wht: 1 c - 15 cal from fat; 1.5 total fat; 43 g carb - 4 fiber

Corn Pops: 1 c - 0 cal from fat; 0 total fat; 28 g carb - 0 fiber

Cookie Crisp: 1 c - 10 cal from fat; 1 total fat;l 26 g carb - 0 fiber

Okay, so I've got 2 teenage boys here - can you tell?! LOL

So, why would my Spcl K w/ berries be harmful to my carb-up? Oh, and thanks Jag - now I have to go check on the hydrogenated oils! :eek: I'm willing to go out and get some Honey Grahams or Frosted Flakes if necessary, but......

I was supposed to get up at 4 a.m. and do my depletion WO today, but I ended up typing later than usual last night and yeah, well - since I now have all these OTHER questions - I'm just gonna put it off until later today...no prob! I know I'm being such a GIRL here, but c'mon guys..... :tears:

jagbender Fri, Apr-23-04 08:39

Strawberrys have Fructose (fruit sugars). Fructose will refill your liver glycogen levels.
During Carb up you want to refill muscle glycogen. If you fill liver first it will take longer to get back into Ketosis and your carb up (refilling muscle glycogen) will not be as efficient as possible.

ellen4621 Fri, Apr-23-04 08:44

Thanks, Jag! NOW I get it......I'm such a wimp! lol

Chipperoo Fri, Apr-23-04 13:09

Carbing-up is scary for someone that has been on Atkins, that's for sure!! Yep, it can be very scary indeed, but after you've done the very first one, you will see that it's not that big a deal. Unless, of course, you have a big problem with carb cravings after the carb-up. But, most people can 't wait to go back to keto after a good carb-up!

That said, this fear gives you a compulsion to do everything "perfect" and "by the book". But, most people are just not THAT precise. I TRY very hard to keep my fat low and eat mostly the right stuff, but I always eat a bit of something that I'm just not supposed to have, 'cause it will do little damage at this time unless I go on a crazy binge. CKD is helpful not just because of the physical aspects of it, but another major part of it is it's phsycological aspect. To be able to eat something forbidden, but at the appropriate time makes it possible to stick to the low cal, low carb phase!

I think that unless you are competeing in some kind of contest that demands a greater amount of leaness, such as a bodybuilding contest, you can relax and follow the general principles of the diet without obsessing about every little gram of P/F/C that you eat! Works for me, I don't even count calories on the carb-up, I just eat and try to keep it low fat.....and eat, and eat, and eat.

One last thing, sorry girls, but it seems females cannot usually eat quite as much or as long on the carb-up as men can (bet, you just loved hearing that, huh, Ellen?).

jagbender Fri, Apr-23-04 13:23

Chip, you hit it on the nail on head! I just did my first Carb up
"by the book" I am also trying to do a perfect carb up.
I was scared as heck to to it the first time. But now I feel it was no big deal. Also, I cannot wait to get back to Low carb.
I cannot stand LF at all. It sucks to do hi carbs without the fat.
What is better that French Fies, Pizza, and junk like that. Doing carbs without fat is in my opinion far worse that eating low carb. Lots more flavor doing LC.
I did lose my carb up weight plus 1.3 pounds. I am happy and feel great. As far as cravings I don't have carb cravings but when doing a carb up I want FAT.
Jag

Trainerdan Fri, Apr-23-04 13:39

Jag,

Way to go! Nice on the drop. :)

ellen4621 Sun, Apr-25-04 22:27

Thanks for the encouragement!

Thanks Chip & Jag! Made me feel a WHOLE LOT better about doing this! And less worried about "screwing up"! :) I AM human, after all! lol

Saturday was supposed to be my "re-scheduled" carb-up (after Fri didn't work out)....read SUPPOSED TO BE! Dang! My dgtr came home from college and we talked her into staying overnight 'cuz she wasn't feeling good. (That was the GOOD thing) Buuuut....all my "stuff" for working out is IN HER ROOM downstairs :eek: and the poor thing slept in 'til noon! I was up at 6 a.m., raring to go....so, I've decided to re-schedule for NEXT weekend and went shopping instead! (Does that count as a workout?! LOL)

You're right, Chip, about not being able to eat as much as men - I don't have a big appetite to begin with...and my weekend eating habits leave much to be desired, so I wasn't worried about over-eating - just eating the RIGHT stuff! DH even went out and bought me a box of Golden Grahams! *sigh* Oh, well....my boys have been told "Hands Off!" :nono: at least for my first carb-up...after that, I'll share the rest w/ them!

Thanks again for the encouragement! :sunny:

Ellen :)

ellen4621 Sun, Apr-25-04 22:29

P.S. Congrats Jag on your first carb-up and weight loss!

Ellen:)

ellen4621 Thu, Apr-29-04 22:31

More questions - sorry!

Okay....this regards the depletion workout

I re-read some of the older posts and someone said, and this is not an exact quote, that:

For the depletion, you take every muscle group to failure in a circuit
lower the weight, and do it again
lower the weight, and do it again (and then something about feeling like puking or passing out, and staggering out of there until you get home to start your carb-up)

ok...understand THAT part...but my question is this - since I only have a limited number of hand weights available to me, should I double up to get a higher combined weight, i.e. use my 10 & 5's and lift at 15, then drop down to just the 10's, then 8's, 5's, 3's? These are the only ones I have....and I have only been basically using just my 5's, since I'm still new to lifting. I know that it's not much (weight) and most of you are lifting for your WARM-UPS at 8X that amount...

Any thoughts?

Ellen :)