Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Atkins bake mix disaster (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=174367)

Katie_K Tue, Mar-23-04 10:21

I didn't have much luck either. I tried the recipe for zucchini muffins and they were hard as rocks. :(

Dawna Tue, Mar-23-04 12:13

Considering Atkins' GNP rivals that of a third world nation, I'm surprised they've never bothered to invest in a test kitchen.

WalMart sells a box of LC bake mix for several dollars less for the same quantity than the Atkins brand sells for. It tastes much better too.

JimR-OCDS Tue, Mar-23-04 12:27

So far, the only thing that I've enjoyed with Atkins Bake Mix is the pan cakes.

I tried dredging egg-plant in it for eggplant parmigiano. My first bite, I immediatley wanted to throw the batch out and make it over using real bread crumbs!

I'm finding that many low-carb products are about as good as low-fat products.
They just don't match the real thing.

Fridaylove Tue, Mar-23-04 12:30

I really don't like the bake mix, although my husband made some good pancakes once with it...never used it again!
I agree with what someone said about most Atkins products being disgustint!

Raleigh Tue, Mar-23-04 12:47

the bake mix cannister makes a great doorstop. and that's all I've found it good for. everything else I tried to make with it ended up being thrown out

Tasha_C Tue, Mar-23-04 15:05

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has experienced less than stellar results. Now I'm thinking about returning my pancake mix; don't want any other bad surprises

3xmommy Tue, Mar-23-04 15:56

So It's obvious to soeme the mix is gross..SO I won't waste my money..Is there an alternative out there made from someone else..???I love pancakes and I am missing them the most...

Michelle

wils Tue, Mar-23-04 18:37

If you look in the recipe section I'm sure you will find recipes for non soy bake mix. I bought one can of Atkins and have made up my own since then. If you go to the main page and click on Kitchen Low Carb Recipes section and go to the bottom of the page and type "bake mix" in the search - You will get a listing of posts with this in it. There is one part way down that is headed " flour Substitute" that has a bunch of different bake mix recipes.

corianin Tue, Mar-23-04 19:30

I wasn't a big fan of the bake mix, not because I didn't like it but because it was so dang expensive!!! So I looked up recipes on the internet for an alternative and here's what I found. I think it works fairly well and is quite a bit cheaper than Atkin's Mix. I use it to make pancakes and breads. To me, it tastes quite a bit like the Atkin's version, so if you don't like that flavor, this isn't going to cure it.
Here's the recipe I found:

------------------

1 C Protein Powder
1 C Soy Flour
3 Tbs Baking Powder
1 tsp salt (optional)

Directions

Sift everything together 3x. Store in an airtight container.

bigted Tue, Mar-23-04 19:57

I use the recipe above for a bake mix and it makes great pancakes. I use whey isolate for the protein powder and I wish I never wasted my money on the Atkins pancake mix. Never again! I don't like the soy taste. In fact the bad results with the pancake mix is all I need any time I have any thought of looking at another mix for anything. I'm glad I'm not the only one although you'd think they could do better.

reneeg1 Tue, Mar-23-04 20:14

I made some delicious cookies with the bake mix last night. I modified an old family recipe so I can't really credit anyone on this. They are melt in your mouth good.

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup slenda

crem together and add

1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
pinch nutmeg
3/4 cup atkins bake mix
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Roll into balls and flatten in palm of hand bake for about 20 minutes at 300 degrees or until bottoms are golden. Makes 2 dozen. I haven't bothered to calculate the carbs yet.

val83 Tue, Mar-23-04 22:14

I used this to make both the berry shortcakes and belgian waffles from the atkins site and my husband, MIL and I all love them! In fact, the waffles are an occasional Sunday brunch treat. I would give these recipes a whirl...

filmlass23 Wed, Mar-24-04 07:25

The bake mix can be used to make great chicken fingers or mozzarella sticks.

Dip pieces of chicken breast or halves of string cheese in a beaten egg. Roll around in this mixture:
1 part bake mix
2 parts grated parmesan or romano
season (either with cajun or italian spices)

Chicken fingers can be deep fried or pan fried. I recommend only pan-frying the mozzarella.

Good luck!!!!!

SusanKH Wed, Mar-24-04 08:49

I bought a can, opened it, and grossed out at the smell of it. I finally just threw it away. I knew that if I couldn't handle the smell, I sure wouldn't be able to handle the taste.

spydermary Wed, Mar-24-04 09:32

I haven't tried it and don't intend too. First off the cost is just highway robbery and second, the whole point for me doing this diet is to get back to eating natural foods.