Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Low-carb bubble about to burst? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=173832)

Angeline Sat, Mar-20-04 18:33

I also think that while low-carb is not a fad, all these news products just might be. I am not sure they do more harm than good, but they are certainly a hindrance. I still remain firmly convinced that people on Atkins enjoy better health because it turns you away from refined foods, not just carbs. Well the old Atkins anyway. Now with all the new products on the market, it has simply become a question of replacing all your old favorites with low-carb substitutes. Before you replaced nutritionally deficient high carb food with high quality proteins, fats and vegetables. Now you can replace your morning muffins with low-carb muffins and lunch sandwich with low-carb bread, and then have a big plate of low-carb macaroni 'n cheese for supper. Maybe it's going to help your insulin level somewhat, but it won't boost your health.

The old Atkiners know better, but all those new people who are just jumping on the bandwagon to try the new "fad"won't. Never having had to do low-carb the "hard way" (no substitutes unless you make it yourself) they won't be able to understand what isn't working and won't know all the health benefits they could have gained.

TarHeel Sat, Mar-20-04 19:03

While I agree with most of what has been posted here, I think we may be missing the point of the article. These folks are not Atkins haters, they are businessmen. And since I own stock in some food companies, I appreciate their being savvy about what is in demand and what is not.

It's a bit silly to expect big business to worry about our health. What we choose to buy rules their decisions about new products. So they will wait and see how their new lc products sell. It is really our call in many ways.

Kay

Marge Sun, Mar-21-04 12:12

The only problem with waiting to see is that too many people are jumping on the LC bandwagon without really understanding what they're doing. They may be the ones driving the sales. What happens when they get tired of the WOE and sales go back down? Do we lose our choices?

Lisa N Sun, Mar-21-04 12:46

Quote:
What happens when they get tired of the WOE and sales go back down? Do we lose our choices?

That's pretty much how it works with any product, Marge. If it doesn't sell or isn't producing a large enough profit to make it worth producing, they pull it off the market and replace it with something they hope will sell better.
These companies are in business for $$, not to make the world healthier. Don't expect every low carb product to disappear literally overnight, though. Even though the sales of Snackwells are down, they're still on the shelves at every store I shop at. :rolleyes:
While I agree that it would be a bit disappointing to have some of my favorite low carb products discontinued due to lack of sales, in many ways it's actually better (and better for our health) to low carb without them since so many products now hitting the market contain things that everyone (low carber or not) would be better off avoiding such as transfats.

madpiano Sun, Mar-21-04 14:16

I agree with some part of the article. All those LC Replacement foods will soon fade into a fad, as they don't work. I much rather have the occasional treat of real sugar than some chemical rubbish which may or not cause cancer, brain damage or whatever else (mind you sugar alcohols can have a marvelous effect on constipation....). I am more annoyed with the low-fat movement, as it is hard to find "normal" products sometimes. I remember eating Philadelphia with herbs and I love it. It is no longer available in full-fat. Only as Philidelphia Light. :rolleyes: Where I work, I only have a Tesco Metro to shop in (a scaled down inner city version of a normal supermarket). I am struggling to find food there, as most of the stuff is low-fat (processed to be low-fat, not naturally...). I wish they would just forget about all these franken-foods and serve us the real stuff.

I would much rather have less of real chocolate, than eating an atkins bar thinking I am doing good. Chocolate is not food, it's a treat. (ok, some might disagree here :) ). I would like it to stay that way. Maybe one day I can see bread that way ?

CindySue48 Sun, Mar-21-04 14:24

I agree....most of the products I have no intention of trying. I will try out some LC breads in the future, but not until I get much closer to goal. By that time, maybe the bad ones will be gone from the shelves!

I'm trying to stick with as natural as possible. I"m cooking more and bringing lunch almost every day (once or twice a week go out or do carry out). I do eat processed cheese (American slices) and the EAS shakes....but everything else I prepare for myself is "real" food. I love it and can see myself eating like this forever!

Stephen596 Mon, Mar-22-04 00:58

Low Carb and Sugarfree Sweets and Treats are a tool to be used in the total low carb lifestyle. I think these products are great if used in moderation to add some life to the meat/salad diet. I treat myself once in awhile with some low carb chocolate or ice cream or some soy chips. These little "cheats" keep me on track and dont show up as a gain on the scale, also when eating these low carb products I dont feel the need to binge, I can eat a few and I am done. I am going to keep using them in this fashion because its working. I suggest finding a local low carb store where you can interact with people who use these products and can help guide you to the ones that are really great. There is a wonderful forum on this board that deals with what is good and what isnt.
Enjoy your low carb treats, support these products and there will be more on the store shelves soon. Low Carb is NOT a fad, it works!

Nancy LC Mon, Mar-22-04 09:07

Well said, Stephen. They do help people stick with the plan, provided they don't abuse them. But I haven't met a diet yet that couldn't be abused somehow.

Marge Wed, Mar-24-04 14:06

Hear, hear Nancy. I for one can not limit myself to a few. If I don't touch it, I won't eat it, I try one, I turn into a pig, eating as much as I can. It still isn't good for me LC or not.

All the more power to you Stephen, if it helps. You are a stronger person than I.