Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Should Skinny People Be On Atkins? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=173704)

Paris Fri, Mar-19-04 08:52

Ab fab post, Tofi. :D :thup: I agree 100%.

B.B.B. Fri, Mar-19-04 08:54

You must take FRAME size into account....some people have very small frame (ME) or medium to large frame....you need to also take body fat percentage into account...I'm 5'5 135 pounds and have a bodyfat percentage of 37%...that's very high! I'm very tiny framed....and I would like to weigh my old weight of 110 or even 112lbs....so don't judge....everyone has a weight they are happy with...I have one girlfriend who is 5'4 and 99lbs...but she looks healthy and has a great figure...not too skinny...so don't pass judgement and keep body types. frame sizes and body % in mind when people are making their decision on what they want to weigh. As someone should not judge some who is over weight...you shouldn't judge those that want to be a lighter weight.

Be kind to each other.....!!!

trustycat Fri, Mar-19-04 08:56

as a small person, i have to say that i've gotten comments from this forum about being too skinny/possibly having an ED/etc and i never take offense-- actually, i appreciate it that those people care so much. In the end, if someone really does have a body issue, its much better for them to be told that. People who are tall and yet want to be at a really low weight (90 is crazy for anyone above 5 feet and over 20 y old) prob would be benefitted more from others being blunt. But again, everyone has their own reasons for being on Atkins and with goal weights, there are so many factors--age, height, frame, etc, so maybe its best to offer LC advice and attach a friendly side note....

also, for someone with an ED, i think atkins is just as dangerous as low cal-- the danger lies in their mental/emotional state, and that is the same on any diet. Atkins can be "tweaked" to a dangerous level, and someone at too low bf/weight really needs imp carbs from fruits and whole grains.

Although I started atkins to loose weight, I'm now on atkins for medical/health reasons-- to help manage hypoglycemia, both my parents are diabetic, general health, to control binge-eating, and some other stuff. Also, i'm trying to build muscle/lean body mass and atkins is best for that--my goal weight was really just an arbitrary number. I'd be perfectly happy at a higher weight if it meant i was more toned/stronger/healthier :)

i also agree that "skinny" can be hurtful. telling people they need to gain weight can also be as hurtful as telling people they need to loose weight if done in a blunt manner--but there are tactful/friendly ways of saying both things and its important that the message gets across. Besides, i'd rather here that kind of stuff from strangers on a forum that friends, lol

B.B.B. Fri, Mar-19-04 08:57

I should also ad...do you like the tern FAT or being called FAT? Skinny is just as negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask someone who is slim how they feel about the term SKINNY...they will tell you it's like being called fat. Sadly as much as people judge those that are over weight...people judge those that are slim...saying stuff like "oh she must be anorexic" or she "she probably starves herself"...as someone with Hypothyroidism who used to be 'skinny' I don't like that word at all. My mom is 5'4 and weighs 105 pounds...and gets called skinny all the time....it hurts her. Please do not use that term unless you want people to call you fat!

FrecklFluf Fri, Mar-19-04 09:04

Quote:
I should also ad...do you like the tern FAT or being called FAT?
No, I don't like it, but it's the truth. I am fat. (Not as fat as I used to be, though. :D ) That being said, I usually use the word "thin" as opposed to "skinny." It does have a kinder connotation. If I am talking with someone about possibly being too thin, I try to use the medical term "underweight."

And you are right about the frame thing. Some people have very small frames and/or difficulty building lean body mass; those people probably will want to weigh less for appearance and health, especially if they have a body shape that shows every excess pound. Others, like me, have horse bones and will never weigh at the small end of the charts.

AFwife Fri, Mar-19-04 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.B.
I should also ad...do you like the tern FAT or being called FAT? Skinny is just as negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask someone who is slim how they feel about the term SKINNY...they will tell you it's like being called fat. Sadly as much as people judge those that are over weight...people judge those that are slim...saying stuff like "oh she must be anorexic" or she "she probably starves herself"...as someone with Hypothyroidism who used to be 'skinny' I don't like that word at all. My mom is 5'4 and weighs 105 pounds...and gets called skinny all the time....it hurts her. Please do not use that term unless you want people to call you fat!

I think thumbalina was just trying to find out if people that don't need to lose alot of weight should be doing atkins. No one meant to call anyone "skinny" or "fat" for that matter.

No one is being rude to anyone. I personally am a blunt person, I can't help that. When I saw the post of the girl that wanted to weigh 90 pounds, I didn't think, oh she must be anorexic I thought, does she realize this could be a dangerous weight for her.

No one should judge, I don't. I find myself always caring too much. Maybe it's a good thing that I do maybe it's a bad thing. I saw this one person and freaked.

This WOE is beneficial to all, no matter how much you want to weigh. Atkins teaches many of us how to eat properly, the weight loss is a bonus.

IMO

Lily

B.B.B. Fri, Mar-19-04 09:11

Exactly! We aren't doctors...so we can not say what is an ideal weight for someone or not....my doctor totally agreed my body fat was too high! I'm carrying it all around my stomach as well which has me concerned with diabetes and heart disease...you just never know. I think we should all be encouraging and non-judgmental toward people's weight goals....if someone does have an ED hopefully they will find all the help they can. But I have the go ahead to get back to my 'ideal' weight...it works for my frame (I can put my thumb and middle finger around my wrist and they over lap to the first nuckle...that should give you an idea of my frames size). So I'm here to get encouragement....and try my best. Let's not JUDGE or discuss the worries abotu THIN people doing Atkins...it has no nothing to do with your/my goals. People with eating disorders need to find that out on their own...judging them only will encourge the behaviour...best to not even put that out there. Just my 2 cents....

B.B.B. Fri, Mar-19-04 09:13

AFwife...I do see your point.

Someone who is slim may be using Atkins to lower cholestorol etc....my mom who is 5'4 105 lbs...has high blood pressure and high cholesterol readings....Atkins may or may not be right for her....maybe the maintenance phase?

AFwife Fri, Mar-19-04 09:17

No we aren't doctors, but you know what, alot of doctors, they know squat. So much training and sadly some of them are only out for the money.

I personally have come across a couple of them that have recommended things where I was like, what are you nuts. Got a new doctor of course.

Point is we are here to support each other. Some of us, like me, find we try to help too much. Perhaps people with a disorder need to find out for themselves that they are sick but I can't help wanting to be there for them and assure them that they look fine the way they are. Just like I am here for you and many others.

Struggling with weight myself, I know how important it is to have someone there to say, hey it's ok you can do it I'm here for you. It's a wonderful feeling knowing your not alone in this struggle.

Good luck to all,

Lily

AFwife Fri, Mar-19-04 09:18

Quote:
AFwife...I do see your point.

Someone who is slim may be using Atkins to lower cholestorol etc....my mom who is 5'4 105 lbs...has high blood pressure and high cholesterol readings....Atkins may or may not be right for her....maybe the maintenance phase?

I agree totally, this phase may be what they need instead.

Lily

serrelind Fri, Mar-19-04 09:20

Also, take into account body frame of a person from a different ethnic background. I'm Asian and at my weight right now (119lbs at 5'1"), I'm overweight. I've seen quite a few Asians in this forum that have a lower goal weight than most others. I totally understand where they are coming from. For that reason, I do not judge people based on their numbers. We all have to be at the weight we're happy with. Now if someone displays ED behaviors, then that's a different story. Although who am I to say what's considered destructive ED behavior and what's not? In a way, we all have some sort of eating disorder tendency. It is my overly pre-occupation with food and eating (although my recent weight gain was mostly due to getting off birth control pill)that landed me in this weight predicament :p

AFwife Fri, Mar-19-04 09:21

Love your picture serrelind, you look great. Keep up the good work.

Lily

FrecklFluf Fri, Mar-19-04 09:22

Quote:
(I can put my thumb and middle finger around my wrist and they over lap to the first nuckle...that should give you an idea of my frames size).
Wow! My thumb and middle finger barely meet. I do usually ask someone about their frame size (such as wrist measurement) before commenting on their goal. That way, I at least have some idea as to whether they are being rational. But if I really think someone is approaching dangerously underweight, I would not feel right telling them how to drop those last few pounds. I don't think there's anything wrong with suggesting that someone make an appointment with their doctor to have his or her weight evaluated, or suggesting that maybe instead of losing weight they would feel better about themselves if they concentrated on toning their muscles. Who knows, maybe they haven't considered that point of view before.

B.B.B. Fri, Mar-19-04 09:22

I should add AFwife...CONGRATS! on your weight lose!!!!

I'm sorry I take the ED personally as I lost a very close friend 4 years ago to an ED....she starved herself to the point her organs could no longer function. The more people told her she was healthy looking or commenting on her weight lose it drove her more....more starving...more exercising...
The last year of her life she was being fed through a tube in her nose that went to her stomach...she pulled it out all the time. I saw her 3 hours before she dies of cardiac arrest. I realized over time I couldn't help her as much as I tried....it was very painful to see her like that. So yes I do understand where your coming from when you say you want to 'help'...I wanted to help too.

FrecklFluf Fri, Mar-19-04 09:24

Quote:
I'm sorry I take the ED personally as I lost a very close friend 4 years ago to an ED.
That must have been very difficult to watch. I'm sorry for your loss.