Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Monsterous Appetite - HELP (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=170726)

mel92 Thu, Mar-04-04 15:14

I have to agree about upping your fats. Add in more olive oil, unsalted butter, mayo, or sour cream to your meals to help you feel fuller longer. If you are going to eat the turkey bacon instead of regular side pork, I would suggest adding some sort of fat to accompany it like 1/2 an avacado or eggs w/butter or mayo. Also, try to stay away from eating after 6pm.

:)melissa

Rocky_Cdn Thu, Mar-04-04 15:21

I also scramble eggs in the microwave, but I just add a bit of butter (no milk). I stir it about half way through. It doesn't take more than a minute or two. For variety I sometimes add leftover bacon or ham, or some bell pepper, so it's more like an omelette.

I completely agree with Jen7416 and toning_up about upping the fat content. It really helps take the hunger away. I had to be very conscious about including some kind of fat in every meal and that has helped me immensely.

Good luck!

LadyBelle Thu, Mar-04-04 16:10

What could also help is not watching calories so closly. Instead of hitting 1500 each day, why not read up on calorie staggering. That way your body gets more when it needs. IT could also just be 1500 is too low for your current weight and activity needs.

You can try keeping it at 1500, but make sure around 70% of that is coming from fat. Keep an account on fitday to help you keep track and watch for hidden carbs. Remember coffee has carbs, as do eggs, cream and other things people don't always relize.

WeeOne Thu, Mar-04-04 16:27

I have a Turkey sausage and 2 eggs fried in spray oil for breakfast almost every morning. It keeps me full for hours at 300 calories and 17 grams of fat. I tend to eat more carbs for lunch, dinner and a snack.

I agree that maybe your calories are too low.

Wee

patricia52 Thu, Mar-04-04 22:03

I was just talking about this to someone at work today. I never get hungry anymore. For breakfast I usually have two eggs, scrambled with about an ounce of cream cheese, and maybe some cheddar and mozzarella.
Then I eat it with a quarter of an avocado. It's my favourite brekky, along with some really decaf with cream.
Wow, if I got hungry anymore, I would get hungry just thinking about it.

Leenie Fri, Mar-05-04 07:58

Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to bring eggs to work either boiled or raw to cook. And I will increase my good fats.

Ladybelle, I have a very hard time staying at 1500, my calories are staggered some times they are over 2000 :( but I "TRY" the magic word lol, to keep them lower.

I better start moving my ass too!

You all are the best, and congratulations to everyone for your success, I love this site because of the people and their genuine caring help you all give others.

HUGS AND KISSES !!!!

LEENIE

maggieb Fri, Mar-05-04 11:40

leenie, Like everyone else has said here, really try upping your fat for perhaps two weeks and FORGET about the calories! Just for that two weeks and see what happens. You mention blue cheese dressing...add olive oil to your salad with it....plus all the other suggestions. That should get you into major ketosis and that should really reduce your appetite. I have found that I have the opposite problem, I have to force myself to get enough calories and a lot of people on this board are the same.

I think that is what make Atkins so wonderful for so many and I think it is because it is high fat, no hunger....you shouldn't be suffering with hunger, that's why we all got away from low fat diets!!!!!.....

good luck!

fishie48 Fri, Mar-05-04 12:54

Leenie, I'm with you. I have an enormous appetite and without even thinking I can be eating 2500 calories. I have to use fit-day and struggle to eat between 1600-1900. It seems in the beginning that my hunger was less (those first few months) but now, a year into it, I'm really struggling. I've tried increasing water, because that can be filling short term. My fat content averages about 65 percent. I've been taking the mock danish to work because I leave at 6:30 and can't stomach eating that early. 2 eggs and 2 tbsp of cream cheese with some splenda. I make it early and eat it chilled around 9:30. That keeps me until lunch. My problem is the period between dinner and bed. I could eat the whole time and the calories add up.

sandylevit Fri, Mar-05-04 13:00

I have found that the protein shakes and bars really
fill me up. how about one for midmorning. the atkin
shakes have about 170 cals but the others have less.
they generally dont have the SA's like some of the
bars do. my favorite bar is the atkins chocolate decadence since he has 11gm of fibre. Nuts are something that also fill me up, but alas are a bit
higher in calories.

sandy

melpope Fri, Mar-05-04 14:19

Leenie,
Each week I make a breakfast quiche. Basically the egg mixture consists of about 4 eggs and 1 cup Egg Beaters and about 1 cup of heavy cream. Then I season with dry mustard, salt & pepper, garlic, whatever. Then put your veggies and meat in a 9x13 baking dish. I use all sorts of combos but they usually consist of a cheese, meat and veggie mix. Some I have tried:
parmesan, ham, mushrooms, onion and spinach
chedder, bacon, brocolli, onion and bell pepper

So pour your egg mix over the items you put in baking dish and bake for 450°F for 15 minutes, then lower temp to 300°F and cook another 30 minutes.

I eat a big piece ever morning!

nikkil Fri, Mar-05-04 15:43

Well, here's my 2 cents... :p

I was trying to keep my cals low and it backfired on me. I only lost 3 lbs in February! BUT, a couple of days ago I boosted my calories by about 500 per day (more than before) and I lost 1lb on Wednesday and 1 more pound on Thursday! So, contrary to popular belief (mainstream) you may need MORE calories! I also have my fat up to about 75%. I find my hunger is diminishing as well.

Good luck and let us know what changes you make and how it works on your losses and appetite!

Nicole

Nancy LC Fri, Mar-05-04 18:23

I've always been a night time eater too, but I think I'm finding that having a larger breakfast and lunch is helping me not eat so much at night.

Anyway, I've been making some low carb pumpkin pie and eating 2 slices for breakfast, just under 194 each slice the way I make it. It has pumpkin, eggs and cream cheese, splenda and spices. Pretty easy to make and so yummy.

The quiche idea is great too. I gotta make some more quiche.

Lindym Fri, Mar-05-04 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie
Thanks !!

When I don't focus on the calories, I gain :( no lie, went thru weeks of gaining and couldn't figure out why until a few people here mentioned watching calories as well. Once I started watching them, the weight flew off.

Hi Leenie, I understand where you are coming from. I tried to follow the "raise the calorie advice". luckly I didn't gain, but didn't really lose either so I have now dropped my cals and am seeing the weight come off. It was hard to find a menu to keep the fat ratio up, but I found one. I don't plan on staying this low forever, but I REALLY want to see the lbs going. I will, in the next few weeks, start adding the cals back and see where I need to stop in order to keep losing (at some rate)

Eggs do seem to be a good filler and the fat/protein ratio is better than most meat.