Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   A Pot 'o Gold March Challenge: 4-8# loss (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=170051)

want2bfit Tue, Mar-02-04 07:35

Megan, welcome and happy you joined us. This is a great group of people. Hope you find some encouragement here.

Gosh, it's really so nice that we continue facing this journey together.

Well, my little adventurer was in the emergency room Saturday with a pulled ligament in his leg. He was in so much pain but yesterday afternoon he was able to come downstair and feed the ducks in the brook. He actually put his helmut on and tried getting his razor scooter outside but I stopped him. I guess he figures the leg brace can also be used as safety gear. Life is such a wonderful adventure with him.

All your wonderful words of encouragement continue to be inspiring. Just the fact that we have started a new year and are still here is just amazing. How many of us have started something Jan 1st and fizzled out by Feb 1st. This is a huge accomplishment. We are committed to this although the results sometimes haven't caught up with us.

Tomorrow, I'm going for blood work and if my numbers haven't dropped I plan on asking my dr. for 3 more months before being put on cholesterol meds. I know this can work.

Hope everyone has a day filled with wonderful blessings, Maureen

remsgirl Tue, Mar-02-04 10:54

Just popping in to say a quick hello. It souds like a lot of you are felling the same as I. I was out shopping the other day and found a book called 500 low carb recepies. Have any of you herd of the book? I'm going to look it over and try a few things. If I find anything good I'll post it all for you.

Annie~ thanks for all the kind words your great!!

Angie...184
Anne..199
Annie..163
CindyLynn....160
Dawn...222
Maureen..241
Sheila..183.5
Terry...229
Zuleka..171
Megan 170
Mossling..275.6
Nikki_D..182

want2bfit Tue, Mar-02-04 20:12

Anne, the library has that cookbook but when I went to get it off the shelve it was missing. Put in my request to locate it but haven't heard anything. Costco has it also but it would have been nice to look through it before purchasing.

Janie3k Tue, Mar-02-04 20:25

Hello to All,

I would like to join this club and challenge myself as well. It is fun to know that there is a place to have mini goals. I am looking forward to checking in weekly and seeing how everyone is doing. Now let's see if I can do this right with the weights. :)

Angie...184
Anne..199
Annie..163
CindyLynn....160
Dawn...222
Maureen..241
Sheila..183.5
Terry...229
Zuleka..171
Megan 170
Mossling..275.6
Nikki_D..182
Janice..227

:cheer: I did it!! I will get this site down pat soon!!

Have a great day!

remsgirl Tue, Mar-02-04 20:31

Hi Janie,
let me be the first to welcome you.
want2bfit~ there is another book out there called the low carb bible I have this one too but havent dove into it yet.

Mossling Tue, Mar-02-04 20:57

remsgirl and want2Bfit,

I love Dana Carpendar's books! The 500 low carb recipes is like the Joy of Cooking (or Fanny Farmer) for low carbers, IM(NSH)O. In some recipes, she uses a _little_ bit of blackstrap molasses (like 1/4 teaspoon), so they aren't strictly Atkins...but I have never made something from any of her books that has been rejected by my DH and DS (and I have had that happen with other cookbooks.)

Jude

want2bfit Wed, Mar-03-04 11:15

Jude, its great to know someone that has tested the recipes. So many times you just use 1 or 2 out of an entire book. Thanks

Janice, welcome aboard. You have a great smile.

The following recipe is something I posted on the "Excitement in the Kitchen" thread which is under challenges. We just love it. Last night I 4X's it so we could have some left overs and for hubbys lunch.

This soup recipe is from the Olive Garden's web site. I have modified it to be low carb by replacing the potatoes with a small waxed turnip. It is so yummy and easy to make. It's still great without the bacon and is wonderful reheated.

Zuppa Tuscanna - Serves 3-4
50 mins (20 mins prep time, 30 mins cook time)

1 1/2 cups spicy sausage
1 small waxed turnip sliced thin
3/4 cup onions diced
6 slices bacon (optional)
1 1/2 teas. minced garlic
2 cups kale leaves, cut in half then sliced
2 tbsp. chicken base
1 quart water
1/3 cup heavy cream

If sausage is in links, take out of wrapper. Cook ground sausage until done. Cook bacon and onion over medium heat. When bacon is crisp take it out of the pan and leave the onion. Add garlic to the onion and cook 1 minute. Add chicken base, water and turnips. Simmer 15 minutes. Crumble bacon. Add bacon, sausage, kale and cream. Simmer 4 minutes and Serve.

TexLady Wed, Mar-03-04 11:29

Hi! I'd like to join the March challenge. The recipes sound yummy!

Angie...184
Anne..199
Annie..163
CindyLynn....160
Dawn...222
Maureen..241
Sheila..183.5
Terry...229
Zuleka..171
Megan 170
Mossling..275.6
Nikki_D..182
Janice..227
TexLady...177

TerryLynne Wed, Mar-03-04 12:35

Welcome Texlady! You've found a great bunch of fellow journeyers :D We're glad you're here and look forward to getting to know you!

stacysheil Wed, Mar-03-04 15:52

Hi everyone,
My daughter has a demonstration project to do for a 4-H project. Do you all have any ideas that she could do it on? Keep in mind that she is only 10 and my imagination is that of a 90 year old, lol. Birdhouse made out of a milkjug is already taken.

My scales are playing tricks on me again. 183.5 on Monday, 181.5 Tuesday and now 183.5 again today. I have not given up tho. Im still at it. I bought some of the atkins brownies and didnt pay any attention tothem. They are 9 carbs per serving with 11 servings to a bag, I think. I will have to have these for breakfast or something.

Im still getting in my walks, just not the 4 or more miles I was doing.

Maureen: How did your blood work turn out? I have been off b/p meds for almost a year now. I think that is what really woke me up and got me started trying to lose the weight. Heart attacks run in my family and here I was 30 and on b/p meds.

Welcome to all the new members.

Nat490 Wed, Mar-03-04 16:11

Thank you angieK for coming to find me and let me know I was lost and now found. hugz

Now back to the beginning to catch up!! hahaha
hugz
Nancy

Angie...184
Anne..199
Annie..163
CindyLynn....160
Dawn...222
Janice..227
Maureen..241
Megan 170
Mossling..275.6
Nancy… 205
Nikki_D..182
Sheila..183.5
Terry...229
Zuleka..171

CindyLynn Wed, Mar-03-04 19:53

Hey!
Ok. So today wasn't all that great. My body is all out of wack cause for the past couple of days I've been eating alot of cheese. (I'm lactose intolerant) I've been pretty good lately. But I ended up going off track tonight. I honestly think the cheese is what set me off. So I've decided it's time to kick the dairy habbit. And I had better do it now, cause in three weeks it's back to working in the ice cream shop every day. Now tha's going to be a challenge. But I'll work through it.
~CindyLynn~

Janie3k Wed, Mar-03-04 20:00

Hi There,

Thanks remsgirl & want2bfit for the welcome. Want2bfit thanks for the compliment on the smile. Welcome Texlady!!

I have been battling with the scales this week they are not being my friend this week.

Have a great night everyone!!

JoLynn Wed, Mar-03-04 21:13

join challenge

Hi, I am new.. I weighed in on Monday March 1, 2004 at 196 lbs. I would like to join the challenge for the month of March. It sounds like something that will help me along the way.
I just started this Monday, and am feeling a bit light headed.. Is that normal? :q: and when does it stop? :q:

This is my menu for a normal day..

Breakfast... slice of ham, or three pieces of bacon, plus 2 eggs, and my decaf coffee..
Lunch - I usually have leftover meat from the night before, and some cheddar cheese
Supper - Some type of veggie, meat, & a small toss salad...
Keep in mind, this may vary, but basically what I eat..

I also drink at least 6 galsses of ice water a day..usually more..
Is more not good? :q: or does it matter how much as long as we get at least 6 glasses in a day? :q:

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.... Jody :wiggle:

Angie...184
Anne..199
Annie..163
CindyLynn....160
Dawn...222
Janice..227
Maureen..241
Megan 170
Mossling..275.6
Nancy… 205
Nikki_D..182
Sheila..183.5
Terry...229
Zuleka..171
Jody ... 196

simplydawn Wed, Mar-03-04 21:56

Hi Jo.. ( waves to everyone!)

Water.. good question.. do you know that our bodies are 70% water? Yep.. thats a pretty big percentage..

Everything from where you live and work (climate, altitude, air conditioning -- or lackthereof) to how you live and work (desk job, ditch digging, chasing children) effects how much water your body needs. Air travel, exercise, and illness also effect the daily intake.

The body doesn't rehydrate immediately. Even after consuming large amounts of water, your dehydrated body can take from a few hours to a day or more to completely rehydrate. So, it is vitally important to prevent dehydration rather than treat it.

With all the different recommendations for how much water to drink, The one recommendation that remains the same is to judge your proper hydration by the color of your urine. Properly hydrated bodies will produce colorless to pale yellow urine.

Symptoms of dehydration include:
Dry or sticky mouth,
Cracked lips,
Lethargy,
Sunken eyes,
Reduced skin elasticity, and
Decrease in urine production.

The rule of thumb for your water intake should be 1/2 your body weight..196/2=98 oz.. which if your glasses are 16.33 oz big.. then you are right on target! (winks) If not..then you should increase your intake...But don't just take my word on this..here is a link w/more info for you.

10 Ways to Improve your Hydration:

1. Drink throughout the day rather than trying to get your water all at once.
2. Eat high water-content foods.
3. Add 1 cup of water to your daily intake for every 15 minutes of exercise you do.
4. Replace electrolytes as well as the water if you are working/exercising strenuously.
5. Drink two glasses of water just after you get up in the morning.
6. Always have water accessible -- bottled water in strategic locations.
7. Monitor your urine production and adjust your water intake.
8. Limit sodas and caffinated drinks to only 16oz a day.
9. Add 1 cup of water for every 8oz of caffinated or alcoholic beverage consumed.
10. Add 1-2 cups before each meal.

Incredible as it may seem, water is quite possibly the single most important catalyst on losing weight and keeping it off. Although most of us take it for granted, water may be the only true "impressive fluid" for permanent weight loss.

Water suppresses the appetite and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits.

So, drink up! (hiccup!)