Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   South Beach Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Any ex-atkiners here? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=166324)

Monika4 Sat, Feb-28-04 13:11

In a way, I am combining too - low fat, low carb. The reason I call it more SBD than Atkins is that I only use low fat, and have occasional fruit or whole grain bread. When I cheated and try to get back on track, I think I am sometimes in Ketosis too - which you aren't supposed to on SBD. But I share your worry about adding grain. I consider them (whole grain bread, whole grain pasta) a treat, not a cheat, but not regular food either.

Interesting, that SBD feels more diet to you, Dora. I felt it was less restricted - but that maybe was because I really couldn't imagine never having any fruit. But for me the major differences were low fat cheese and low fat sour creme instead of regular, and that doesn't really feel so different. Good luck!

hislady Wed, Mar-03-04 09:03

Hello Everyone!!

I am a bit confused. I went to the doctor yesterday and she strongly dissagrees with the Atkins WOL because of the clogged artery deal. I understand because I wondered about this too. And I also wondered about eating fruit and grains with my ongoing stomach issues. There always seems to be some constipation or heart burn or something. This limits my fried foods alot because the grease just kills me!!

Now she said the SBD was a better choice because its kind of lc and kind of lf. The Atkins WOE has worked for me I have went from 200 to 186 since Jan 1 and I am loving it. I want to or need to loose another 36 lbs or more but I don't have a problem doing it gradually like a couple pounds a week.

My Dr. also mentioned that I was self canabalizing (sp?) and that ketosis is bad. But everywhere I read on the forum it says ketosis is good.

I have been babbling but I am a little torn. Not really knowing what to do. I need to still loose weight. Can SBD give me the same loss the Atkins does without the heart and stomach problems??

Engine9 Wed, Mar-03-04 12:42

I wish I could tell you for sure that your weight loss will be the same but I don't think anyone can do that because your body reacts differently than anyone elses. I switched to SB from Atkins for the reasons your doctor gave you, it was a personal choice. If your concerned about stalling after such great success, try for a SB/Atkins combination-simply modify a few things. Go for leaner cuts of meat, lose the butter things like that. The thing I have noticed is the fat you were able to eat on Atkins kept you feeling full, longer but SB makes up for that I think by being liberal with the veggies. As far as ketosis I think on any 1st phase or induction we all go into a form of that, I am not trying to put down doctors but most I have come in contact with are all about the food pyramid, and may not have really reserched the low carb way of eating just as they have very little reserch on vitamins and things like that. I hope I didn't confuse you more. Good Luck

hislady Wed, Mar-03-04 15:41

Thanks a ton Engine9!!

I just have one other question. Are items like Pork Rinds/pepperoni allowed on SBD or do I have to give them up?

Engine9 Wed, Mar-03-04 20:44

During phase one pork rinds are not an option because the only pork you can eat is very lean-pork tenderloin as an example. I am not sure about turkey pepperoni, they do allow low fat lunch meat and that might qualify. Put that question on the SB forum board and someone there may be able to answer that one better.

faery Sun, Mar-28-04 11:35

I find that SBD has been less stressful. I find I am no longer obsessing about the number of carbs, but just the good ones. Its taking me a little longer to lose because I do eat things like whole wheat pitas and sometimes I have whole wheat pasta, but I do feel much better and I am still losing.

raven0573 Mon, Mar-29-04 11:46

I like South Beach better because of the lower fat aspect. I couldn't stand to do the fatty meats on Atkins. Atkins works really well for my husband but not for me. You do have to modify South Beach according to your liking. There are a lot of great South Beach recipes on this forum to go through.

SusanKH Mon, Mar-29-04 14:28

My question is, Is weight loss slower on SBD than Atkins? Just curious.

Meadow_001 Wed, Mar-31-04 15:17

SB isnt slower than Atkins for me, but I had a really hard time losing on Atkins. Since I started SB a few weeks ago I've lost 2 lbs and lost enough inches that I should really buy new pants. The change is significant enough that when I was at this weight a few months ago my pants were fitting exactly and now they are practically hanging off me.

Now, I guess you could credit some of that to exercise, but I've only exercised a week out of the time I've been on SB and I did the same sort of thing on atkins with no result (exercise for a week and then stop out of laziness).

I think whether or not the weight loss is slower depends on your body, everybody is different.

vbrowne Mon, May-10-04 12:16

I am an ex-Atkinser. I haven't read the SBD book and have switched over to just a healthy eating plan - I was really missing fruits and was getting a bit worried about the long term effects of all the fat I was eating. There is cancer in my family and want to do everything to maintain a healthy lifestyle. What I'm getting at really is that from what I am reading, the SBD looks to me just like a healthy eating plan - lc + lf, sensible portions, calorie counting, etc. Could someone explain to me in a nutshell how this is a "diet / WOE" rather than just sensible eating? Thank you for your help.

Vikki

5cats4me Mon, May-10-04 18:17

I've done Atkins since December and have lost 15-20 lbs on it, but I missed the grains very much so a few weeks ago I hopped over to Phase 2 of SBD. I call what I'm doing Atkins Beach! I still eat some (but not a lot) of sat. fat, like in my cheese and an occasional slice of bacon, and I don't deny myself the wings that I'd grown so fond of, I just only have them once a week instead of 3 times a week! I do now, however, eat things like old fashioned oatmeal, a kashi waffle, or 1/2 of a whole wheat pita with my tuna salad. I only have one of these things a day, and usually a piece of low GI fruit or some berries once a day too...I need to eat like this forever, and I didn't feel that either plan to the letter would enable me to do so without that "diet" feeling. So I eat those fattier foods and the whole wheat grains in moderation, and the rest of the time it's veggies, salad, eggs, lc yogurt, sunflower kernels, cheesesticks, ham/turkey rolls, an occasional lc chocolate bar, or any of the many yummy recipes I've gotten from websites! This is working for me, I've dropped 2 lbs since the switch (if you call it one!), and I feel satisfied!