Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   PMS craving discussion :) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=165248)

spiffygirl Sun, Feb-08-04 11:15

I have really bad PMS as well, and have been diagnosed with PMDD (Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder). Before I was diagnosed, I would PMS for 2 weeks, be really physically sick the week of my period, and then have one week to recoup. It sucked, and I was originally put on Zoloft to help it.

The Zoloft started to work, but then my body grew a tolerance to it...so I had to up the dosage, and between that time and the time when I gave up on the Zoloft I gained about 40lbs.

So, in talking with my doctor, I was prescribed Lexapro. There are a couple of other threads in here on that particular med, and it has mostly rave reviews. I tried low-carb the first time on Zoloft, and nothing happened, but Lexapro has no effect on my weight loss. The best part about Lexapro is that you don't need to take a lot of it to have an effect (I take 10mg a day).

To answer your question about food cravings, I always had them around PMS time on the Zoloft, but the Lexapro has squashed my major food cravings. I may have one or two nights before my period where I have cravings, but other than that I am fine :)

Hope this helps!

Mabel Tue, Feb-10-04 13:34

L-Glutamine REALLY REALLY helps carb cravings! During PMS I still want more salt-and generally more food, but I really don't crave carbs when I take it.

Leanna Wed, Feb-11-04 00:10

I never pms'ed before low carbing because I never got my period. Now that I'm on Atkins, I'm getting my period every 30 days and having to go through the cravings! Thanks for the tips because this is all new to me. I sometimes get this "mind fog" which takes over and I scarf the doughnut down before I have time to slap my hand. I will try the cocoa and the vitamins. I have noticed that if I faithfully take my vitamins all month I have way less cravings.

Meg_S Wed, Feb-11-04 08:00

Just a couple of questions:

1) how long do your cravings usually last? I've just started TOM this morning, and they have diminished significantly. It's only in the approximately 7-10 days before TOM that the eating is out of hand. I found no carbohydrate or chocolate cravings this month, probably because I stayed completly away from them, just wanted to eat dairy (plain homemade low carb yogurt and cottage cheese and marie's blue cheese dressed), salt and beef with a homemade chipotle and mayo mix. MM dairy salt and fat, my favourite things.

2) btw, I checked out vitex, also known as chastetree berry and it looks excellent. Um, my biggest "issue" with it is - does it really suppress the libido as thought to have in the past?

Alina Wed, Feb-11-04 08:34

Hi Meg,

I don't know if this will be helpful to you, but here's what I've learned during the past year:

1. Cravings for 'sweet' can only be battled by staying away from any form of sugar. By craving I mean real craving, not 'I'd like that cookie' :)

2. Cravings for chocolate can be a different thing - your body needs extra iron and magnesium - chocolate is rich in both. I take extra supplements (magnesium/B-vitamins) and go on induction levels about five days before TOM.
I also eat extra protein and iron rich vegetables.

Sometimes, really seldom (4 times last year) I take real chocolate powder and mix it with heavy cream or mascarpone but no sweetener. So no real or fake sugar at all. The bottom line is - control the cravings or they will control you.

Hopes this helps.......

Alina

gilibel Wed, Feb-11-04 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina
Sometimes, really seldom (4 times last year) I take real chocolate powder and mix it with heavy cream or mascarpone but no sweetener. So no real or fake sugar at all.

Yup. Pure medicin. doesn't even have to taste good. The feeling of bliss comes afterwards.

/gil - about to drown herself in cocoa powder.... *blubb*

Meg_S Wed, Feb-11-04 08:57

It's nice to have all of you ladies contributing your ideas and experiences. This is something we all have to deal with, yet seldom receive any understanding or "intelligent" advice. Most discussions I've been privy to involve women confessing and relating to each other about how much they binge and pig our and feel so guilty about it. No need for guilt! It's the way we're made, so lets see how we can make things easier :)

Thanks everyone!