Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   advantage bars, confused by the carbs! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=163300)

smoothblu Sat, Jan-31-04 07:45

Try to stay as clean as you can with your foods. No processed foods would be best. Reading the labels on products is extremely necessary. Some out there down right lie to you.

gilibel Sat, Jan-31-04 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrmeiste
>When Atkins turned into ADkin$ and started to produce and sell all these LC junkfoods...

gilibel,

I find this fairly disrespectful and inaccurate. Atkins was reluctant to commercialize his program, in terms of expanding the business of selling controlled carb foods, and had to be convinced of the merits of doing so by his associates. He only did so with the conviction that doing so would benefit those who followed his program. I've had these Atkins products and they've suited me fine. If the foods don't agree with them, you don't have to eat them. To characterize Atkins in this way runs afoul of the facts and improperly impugns his motives.

Oh dear. :rolleyes:
Please read my post again, jagrmeiste.

I specifically state: "I go by what the late Dr. Atkins originally said, not paying much attention to the ADkin$ sales depts reassurances on sugar alcohols..."

I think you'll find that highly respectful to Dr Atkins. (Why on earth would I - quite successfully - long term follow his WOE otherwise?) My concern is with the mongering ADkin$ company and how it has developed lately. I also believe I am allowed to have an opinion, this isn't a religious sect. ;)

Also, you might find after surfing this board for a while, that while these LC fastfoods/convenience foods/junkfoods might agree with you (good for you!), a majority of people - especially when on Induction - have reported huge problems losing weight while consuming them on a regular basis. That's the message some of us try to communicate to newcomers who often have stocked up on these items believeing it's "the way to do Atkins" and then get seriously demotivated when it doesn't work. After all, this is a support forum designed to share experiences and offer advice. I personally have no problems losing weight with sugar alcohols etc, but others do. Just stating "If the foods don't agree with them(sic!), you don't have to eat them" to me like you did above (with - as I interpret - the subcontext that I shouldn't mention this general issue but "shut up and mind my own business"), wouldn't be very helpful nor kind.

cheers,
/gil

OHGal1415 Sat, Jan-31-04 13:46

Personally, I find it quite SHOCKING AND APPAULING that many of the newer products (read--products that have come out since Dr. A's untimely demise) are found to have alarmingly LARGE amounts of soy and even high-fructose corn syrup! It's a great DISCREDIT to Dr. A's message that such an alarming amount of JUNK FOOD has been released with his name on it. Dr. A. was all about teaching people how to eat PROPERLY, not re-inforcing their bad eating habits!

I think he'd be spinning like a lathe in his grave to know what's being done in his name, lately.

Wenzday Sat, Jan-31-04 13:54

I only used them in induction and in my first month actually when I felt I had no other choice...I've been doing this for 5.5 months now and have a bar in there from way back...anything real is so much more apetizing..you get a lot better at making food to go and having the right things on hand at all times. Hang in there it DOES get easier. :)