Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   pregnant and on Atkins??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=156514)

Natkins Mon, Jan-05-04 11:18

Just wanted to add in that I DID discuss Atkins with my OB and he was very supportive, though he did stress that I needed to do what he called a "modified Atkins" by which he meant that I needed to pay particular attention not only to keeping the carb count at the maintenance level, but making sure that the carbs I added in were mostly dairy and fruits. (for calcium, and vitanutrients)

I have lots of melon and berries and I found Western Bagel low-carb bagels which I top with a full ounce of cream cheese to help get some dairy and some whole grain into my body.

ElizabethH Mon, Jan-05-04 11:33

Natkins,
It's nice that your OB was supportive of Atkins. It sounds like he knew something about the diet. It's funny...it never really occurred to me to talk to my doctor about being on the Atkins diet before or during a pregnancy because I just assumed he wouldn't know much about it. Also, the subject of nutrution never seems to come up. I've seen my OB a few times lately, as I had two miscarriages, and he's asked if I take a folic acid supplement, (which I do) but neither he or my family doctor has ever asked about what I eat. Having said that I think it's a good idea to talk to him about it.

Natkins Mon, Jan-05-04 12:58

Having an OB that was supportive of my eating habits was important to me and one of the things I asked about when I interviewed potential doctors.

After reading What to Expect (the WORST book ever, in my opinion) and the section on nutrition, my biggest fear was having a doctor that stressed those same rigid nutritional ideas (11 servings of bread/grains a day!!!).

If you're not sure how he will react, go with the suggestion to leave out the word "Atkins" and just talk about no sugar or refined carbs. Good luck!

LadyBelle Mon, Jan-05-04 13:37

I loved What to Expect. I ignored the nutritional advice, but I thought the other advice was great. Just a different opinion :)

I actually am excited to try LC with next child. However that will be far far far down the road!!

nikkil Mon, Jan-05-04 13:43

It's not like you have a lot of weight to lose, so I wouldn't worry about getting closer to your 'goal' weight before conceiving. I totally agree with the maintenance level for pregnancy. Seems like it's super healthy compared to some of the junk pregnant women eat! Just stay away from the white stuff, which has no nutritive value to you or your future baby, anyway!

Good luck and happy baby-making!!

Nicole

ElizabethH Mon, Jan-05-04 14:23

Thanks Nicole you're right...I don't need to worry about losing weight right now but I'd like to stay on Atkins during my pregnancy because I feel so much better since I've been on a low carb diet. I'm hoping that by continuing with the plan through a pregnancy I'll keep feeling good and have I healthy baby. I'll definately try to keep away from the white stuff!