Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   My hubby (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=147275)

sunspine17 Wed, Nov-12-03 13:03

Laurie-- That is AWESOME! My DH cooks LC when either myself or the kids are included in the meals (he’s the house cook). After seeing the benefits of low carb, we’ve decided to up the kids protein, give only good carbs and cut out most of the sugar. DH still eats a slice or 2 of white bread each day and drinks real Coke, etc. He eats chips occasionally but that’s really the only thing he’s consciously tried to cut down on (used to be an everyday thing). Since June he’s been eating 2 LC meals a day and not purposefully cutting anything else besides so many chips. Last night he announced to me he’s lost 20 lbs!

Isn’t it great how our healthy habits have rubbed off on others?

Congratz to both of you!

SpecialK Wed, Nov-12-03 15:14

I watch family members smoke and drink too much also (I used to do both). I see them drink water that has flouride (which is a chemical waste) in it (in the 1930's it could only be buried in gvt approved landfills). Our towns water supply is contaminated with coliform fecal bacteria and has been for several weeks before we found out (husband wouldn't even boil before using it-I just get bottled which also can have health related problems because it is bottled in plastic and can increase a certain unhealthy kind of estrogen level).

I see people get immunizations that are loaded with mercury (possible link to rise in autism-very possible) although we are warned about eating fish that has lesser amounts of mercury.

I see loved ones drive way too fast in lousy road conditions. Girlfriends husband recently driving drunk and killed a family member.

I see a lot of people doing things that I don't choose to do for health and/or safety reasons. They are responsible for their decisions. Not me. And if we knew allllll the things that are unhealthy and tried to avoid them we'd all become pretty parinoid. LCing is what is right for me. It has taken a terribly sick individual and made me much better. I would wish them to eat better. But there are other things I would wish for them, too. God has given them the right to make their own decisions. I may not like their choices but i respect their right to make them. Right or Wrong. Of course they'll have to face the consiquences. I'll always be here if they ever want to know more about the LC way of life. Hope this helps you understand how I can let my loved ones make their own decisions. BTW, they have been given all the info on the health benefits, I haven't held anything back. Blessings, Karen

sunspine17 Wed, Nov-12-03 15:54

SpecialK-

Sorry to hear your family does not like LC. I see where you are coming from though. My DH is the cook in the house (we reversed roles and he’s the house hubby at the moment) and although reluctant at first, he began cooking LC for me. There are just some compromises your need to make for each other whether you like it or not. You have to pick you battles in a family. If food is going to cause tension it’s just not worth it! There are much more productive things to bicker about than food.

Funny thing happened though with us. The whole family LOVES it now (even DH the former Mr. Skeptic). We’ve always been big on food and trying new things, we all love to cook. With this new WOE we get to constantly experiment with new recipes—we all find it exciting and tasty. I was SHOCKED that the kids took to the no sugar thing so well. My 8 yo is really into it and is actually refusing sugar when it’s offered because it makes her feel sluggish and upset to her tummy a bit now if she eats too much. We did this for the kids mainly due to some behavior problems of my DD (the 8 year old). She’s sick of not being able to concentrate and being tired all day which causes her to zone out in class and get in trouble. Her concentration has improved dramatically and she LIKES it. The 2 year old really had no say in it, she’s 2 after all! But she seems to not have a problem or miss her old foods either. This transition was soooo easy that I can hardly still believe it!

It’s too bad your family isn’t into the LC thing. But such as life, I guess—to each his own. You are doing a great job providing for your family what they want (even if it’s something you don’t agree with). That’s a hard thing to do. I applaud you for that. I hope your kids and DH come home and give you a big hug for that one!

P.S. Do you think you can slowly start sneaking LC foods in, they may never know the difference!? Okay, ya can’t blame me for being hopeful :)

SpecialK Wed, Nov-12-03 18:57

Hi Sunspine, Thanks for understanding. And you're right for wanting to keep trying. I do introduce quite a few LC things to them. As a matter of fact Donalds Quiche Pizza has become a staple here. You know what is really funny.

My 16 yr old daughter LC's when ever she needs to control acne. She knows there is a link. She had quite a few warts on hand that would not freeze off after multiple attempts so on Mom's advice we LCed her (she was willing) and took herbal anti-fungals for about 2 months. WooHoo! Warts gone. She went back to SAD because in her words "I want to eat like regular people". About 2 years later one (wart)was trying to appear so she asked me to help her LC again and would I get the anti-fungals again? Just a couple of weeks and all was OK.

You see, it's not that they don't know........ Just don't want to adopt the lifestyle.

DH is tall and thin and very muscular and has no medical problems EXCEPT cholesterol. He LCed for about 1 month to try to control it and said he would rather control with med's. Urgh!!! But that is (unfortuantely) his choice. I will definately help when and/or if he wants. If I try to dig in and insist it would just make him more adament about not eating this WOL. So I'll just let them suffer the consequences and hope they will eventually come around.

I prowl the recipe board for more meals I can sneak in and will continue to do so on a regular basis. Blessings, Karen

erbadger Thu, Nov-13-03 10:55

Laure, Great job that must be great to have such wonderful support! Like mentioned above, I cannot possibly have my DH eat only atkins, he is so thin now! I think if he actually went on atkins as I do it he would seriously only weigh 120#, and he is 5'10! so, we try our best. He is wonderfull enough to not complain about the main dish and new veggie concoctions I eat, and even takes all for the cookies, chips etc out of the house so I am not tempted...now if the peanut butter was gone too...

m1whowaits Thu, Nov-13-03 11:24

Actually erbadger, Eatting anything you want and being thin is not necessarily a good thing either. If hubby went on Atkins and got healthier, he would probably put ON some weight. I went through a period of my life where I could eat whatever I wanted and I weighed practically nothing. I was very unhealthy and was sick all the time.

And you can get all natural peanutbutter with no sugar added. I love it!!

purekc Thu, Dec-04-03 19:21

that is great that your hubby has adopted the lifestyle, at least partway. My hubby is thin and had never had to watch what he eats. He doesn't eat low carb, but I notice he is eating less high carb than he used to since I have been on atkins.He is fully supportive of my choices and is thrilled with my "new look", and my new attitude. The support of family members is probably the most important tool we have in our new lifestyles.