Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   seeking comments on my "theory" (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=143615)

lorelei Tue, Oct-21-03 14:44

Quote:
I would never want to go back to the way I ate before....or even think about going back.. We have to think of ourselves as like someone who's either quit smoking or drinking.. I hated the way I felt before but love the way I feel now...Don't think of it as a diet but as a way of living instead...

Although I understand this is true for many people, and I will never go back to eating highly refined carbs again. My way of eating before starting this was not all bad. I ate whole grain breads, (I can't even remember the last time I ate white bread), oatmeal, brown rice, along with of course pasta, potatoes, pastries... and a whole hoste of other things I know wont ever be in my regular diet. It's not so much that I want to go back, as I want a happy medium between the two. I could be wrong, and only time will tell... but I think my problem, and the reason I have always been overweight has been a high resistance to insulin, which played havoc with my bloodsugars and caused my body to store the extra sugar as fat. This should mean that if I can control my bloodsugars over the day, keeping them low and level, I should gain no more weight.

Quote:
I you read through the entire New DIet revolution, he does talk about the Index. That is why it is suggested to add in berries as your first fruit.

I did read the whole book. And I did notice that he did go over it a bit. My only wish is that he had gone over it more in depth. It was never really incorporate it into the diet later. But, I will most definatly go to the website and do more research. It would be extreemly encouraging to me to be able to combine both low carbing and some use of the foods low on the index to help me feel a bit more balanced.

Just an additional note: Please don't get me wrong here, for those who feel balanced on this diet, I am very happy that it's perfect for you, and for the most part I am fine with it... it's just that for me, personally... I feel slightly unbalanced with so much of my diet coming from so much protien and fat. So I feel adding some of the foods lower in the index would help me fix that.

It's possible that Atkins is not the way for me, and that I should do more research on some of the other diets. I started with Atkins though, becuase it had been tried and true for so many people for so long. I also understand and am used to counting the carbs in my diet so it felt comfortable.

black57 Sat, Oct-25-03 22:54

One thing we need to take into account is that humans were not made by cookie cutters and I thinkg DA takes that into account. For example, he discourages cheating, not because the initial cheat is bad, but some people are unable to cheat and remain in control. Therefore he advises no one to do that.

My opinion of the GI/GL is different foods in different people cause different reactions. Everyone should know how their own individual bodies react to various foods. There is a member of this forum who cannot eat fiber without his insulin rising so he counts fiber. Fiber, for me, is harmless so I do not count it. Dr. Atkins says that fiber needs not be counted. However, we see that this is not true for everyone.

I think information is good but realize that nothing is written in stone. What is true for one, is not true for the other.

Also what we need to avoid is low blood sugar which results when insulin is spiked.Low blood sugar resulting from an over abundance of insulin
( hypoglycemia ) is the pre-cursor to diabetes
( hyperglycemia ) the under abundance of insulin.

Black57