Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Polite Request for Two Weeks of Heavy-Duty Moral Support (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=140662)

ItsTheWooo Fri, Oct-03-03 13:25

That is very sad. A lot of the time family doesn't mean to hurt by being weight loss saboteurs, they unconsciously want the old you back. Then again, sometimes people who are controlling try to control us by being enablers. If we are powerless before our addictions (food), they have a lot of power over us if they tempt us into foods we can't control. I don't know your family, but it sounds like your mom sounds like type 2 family saboteur. You are best served by keeping your distance from her whenever possible. When not possible to be away from her, MAKE SURE you have atkins friendly food at all times and whatever you do DON'T let yourself get hungry. Snack all day, so this way you are never caught in a moment of weakness.

I am lucky, everyone in my family supports my lifestyle choice. Even though they don't know how it works (my dad is all the time saying "you are losing weight eating ALL THAT FAT??), they still trust that I did the research so they believe when I say it's safe and effective. Sometimes my mother will say oh just have a small piece, it won't hurt, like for example my birthday (a few days ago) and she saw how I was looking longingly at the cake. I wasn't that tempted, and didn't give in, but I know she didn't mean to try to throw me off plan. She just doesn't understand that on this diet, 1 piece of bad food can interfere with you for a long time.

ItsTheWooo Fri, Oct-03-03 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian559
my mom is toxic....... 300lbs of fiery Italian mother.
To her you live to eat not eat to live. No wonder I became a chef!!!! In our house everything revolved around the table. So my dieting is a afront to her upbringing. On one hand she compains my daughter if fat... Then complains when she wont eat!!!!! I you ever watch "Everybody Loves Raymond" His mother is my mother

LOL that last part sounds a lot like my mom :). My mom is overweight (200#s) too. When I was a kid we were allowed to eat whatever we wanted, she never really set any example for "healthy" eating. Guzzle soda, inhale chips, it's all alright :D. I don't blame her since she had a weight problem herself, but then on top of the way she permitted us to eat without nary a contrary word, she would give me flack for being overweight! I never understood that. I am so thankful I am young enough to live in a time when controlled carbohydrate is being recognized by the mainstream as the key to controlling weight and eating problems. I would probably be 290 now if not for discovering atkins.

Birddog Fri, Oct-03-03 15:42

Definitley take some of your own LC snacks. Getting a hotel might also help you . For all holidays my MIL and SIL make enough to feed an army. Then complains that there are so many left overs. I eat the meat, salad and veggies. I leave the the rest to my husbands family. Stick to your guns and log on. We will support you.

ian559 Fri, Oct-03-03 16:01

Today when picking up my mom to go weekly grocery shopping she said "For loosing 20 plus lbs you dont look no differant"

Yes I will join your club. But I will vow to not be like my dead father who choose to buy corvettes instead of being a dad....... I will be my kids dad!!

melissasvh Fri, Oct-03-03 16:23

Ian559,

I don't see where you have a journal, otherwise I'd post there. I just wanted to let you know that I've been really impressed by your posts. I think you have a great attitude about everything - not just this WOE.

Best of luck to you in all your enterprises!

cpj Fri, Oct-03-03 23:06

Ian, I know that must have been discouraging! I weigh more than you do and I'm sure no one really sees the 22 lbs. I've lost. But you know what, I FEEL every one of them! I'm just so excited and I know you are too! Just let it go; pretty soon everyone will notice and you'll be vindicated. Choosing to be a great dad is a great goal - don't ever give that up - the rewards are wonderful! Keep up the great work - YOU ARE A WINNER!!!

Dstar96920 Fri, Oct-03-03 23:16

I am happy to say that my Mom is coming around! After MONTHS of trying to explain why I eat like I do, why it isn't wierd, how I am NOT starving myself...she is FINALLY happy for me!!! Hooray!!! I too am the only one in the family with a weight problem, so they just don't get it that for me, eating like they do makes me FAT! With my loss now though, my Mom said to my Dad at least 3 times at dinner "look how much weight she's lost" (she made grilled chicken, asparagus with incredible hollandaise sauce, and berries for dessert). Give it time, I thought my Mom would never change!

VALEWIS Sat, Oct-04-03 05:47

Ian559, what I want to knopw is why you couldn't eat the beef stroganoff?? My memory of it is good beefm onions, and sour cream...if you don''t have it with rice, why wouldn't that have been OK??

Val

ian559 Sat, Oct-04-03 06:46

Oh I could have had it if I wanted..... I just chose to not eat it and use the carbs from the onion and the sour cream for something else. When I make it here I do not put all the pot of sauce on the noddles. She mixed it all togather so I had no choice about how to eat it.... So to prove a point I went out......

VALEWIS Sat, Oct-04-03 07:07

I'll bet you could do a great lowcarb stroganoff- serve it on steamed cauli!

Val

ian559 Sat, Oct-04-03 09:45

I eat it on cauli rice. Have had it with spinach, have had it plain

AzureMoon Sat, Oct-04-03 10:43

pcsqueen, have you landed back East yet? How are things going? Is Mama cooperating? Do you need the troops rallied for a LC intervention?

We're pulling for you all the way!

*kim* Sat, Oct-04-03 20:24

Good Luck !!!

jaybee007 Sun, Oct-05-03 05:34

We`re here and ready for you honey...:)

black57 Sun, Oct-05-03 12:51

I did not read through every post but...

To hear you tell the story of your mom leads me to believe that you should have told her that you are eating a high carb diet and have drastically reduced your consumption of protein and broccoli :wiggle: Let her sobotage that and you might lose 5 lbs during your visit. Then thank her for enlightening you a high protein low carb WOE.

Black57