Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How do you see high carb foods now? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=139440)

potatofree Fri, Sep-26-03 20:39

Sunslyte--Awwwww! After reading a lot of "unsupportive spouse" threads, it's nice to see such loving gestures. He's been reading up on the sly, now THAT should tell you how much he cares!

LadyBelle-- I had my first...and LAST Krispy Kreme this summer. They are DELICIOUS, but it set off a craving cycle it took two DAYS to come out of! I think they have crack cocaine in the icing!!!!! I will never let one past the "guard" again...

Quest Sat, Sep-27-03 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
Recently I was at a reception and of course, they served platters of sandwiches and squares and cookies. A lovely display. My sisters were asking me if it was hard for me to resist them. I answered that no, it wasn't hard at all, they were pretty to look at, just like a photo in a magazine would be. And that was all. That was definitely a major change for me.

Tracy

In the old days, if I saw a platter of desserts like Tracy describes I would have tasted all of them to find out whether any were truly delicious, even though the chances of that wouldn't be high! Now, I agree, they are just "pretty." So much of the food that is put out in such situations is never even eaten--we need to get away from the idea that excessive food=hospitality.

In general, though, most sweets seem toxic to me. I don't want to be near them, not because I can't resist but because they exist in some realm that I don't want anything to do with, like MTV or competitive bodybuilding!

jers52 Sat, Sep-27-03 18:48

they no longer have much power over me , I have discovered. I have been to meetings in Panera's Breads - and the first blast of bread smell is pleasant but then fades fast. I know that even at these places I can manage to survive ON PLAN because I have done so!!! That is part of the mind game I play with myself--- plus I feel soooo good I don't want to jeprodize that with that poison sugar or flour.

LaurieB Mon, Sep-29-03 10:12

I haven't posted in a while but this topic has been on my mind so I thought I would respond.

Sweets have always been my downfall. Bread, potatoes, and pasta are things I like but don't really crave. I have been able to satisfy my craving for sweets with a variety of the sugar-free, low-carb candies and ice creams out there. I do watch quantities but I have been lucky that I don't have too much of a problem with sugar alcohols. The one time I did over indulge I paid for it and I haven't done that again.

As far as "real" sweets, I am able to resist them for the most part because I know I have my sugar free stuff as an option. The rare occasion that I do indulge, it is just a bite or 2 and that satisfies me. I keep in mind that I have been having good results with low carbing and it's just not worth it to take more than a taste. That's pretty much how I feel about any high carb food. Last night I felt like I would really like to have some spaghetti with butter and parmesan cheese. When I picked up the pasta box and looked at the carbs I put it right back down. Just not worth it - 42 g in 1/8 box - no thanks.

Laurie

KATHYM Mon, Sep-29-03 11:24

You all are so strong, an inspiration. I am still struggling to rid myself of those cravings. And not really sure how to do it. Any hints on how to JUST DO IT?
Kat

adkpam Mon, Sep-29-03 11:39

Sounds like you have quite the guy, Sunslyte!
It's funny this thread came up today, because I baked some biscuits for someone else, and I used to looove biscuits. But this time, both before and after they came out of the oven, they didn't smell good at all. Pretty raunchy, actually.
Surprised the heck out of me, but I figured my body is changing, because I don't crave these things at all anymore.

LaurieB Mon, Sep-29-03 12:19

KathyM - You haven't been doing this that long. It will happen. One day you will just realize that the whatever that set you to drooling before just doesn't look that appetizing anymore. Especially when you consider that it has a bazillion carbs and calories and it will mess up your weight loss.

You might notice in the next week or 2 that your appetite may drop down to just about nothing. I went through a period where I had to actually find something to increase my calories - was only eating about 650 per day. :eek: Somebody suggested macadamias and I have been eating them ever since. It helps a lot when you reach the point where you can add a few lc yummies to your diet.

It looks like you're doing well.

Laurie

Shazzer Mon, Sep-29-03 21:27

Kathy,
The biggest help for me in resisting temptation is not to settle for substitute foods that contain sugar alcohols or other artificial sweeteners. When I craved something sweet after switching to lc, I would try to eat something healthy and very filling. After eating, I wasn't hungry and didn't have cravings. Now I try to avoid artificial foods as much as possible.

I've developed a fondness for recipes with heavy cream, natural peanut butter, cream cheese, nuts, and fruits. I find my sweet tooth doesn't exist as long as I don't indulge in artificially sweet foods.

wordlady Wed, Oct-01-03 16:49

I am finding this thread incredibly interesting. From March to Sept. first, I sounded EXACTLY like most of you. The chocolate cake and cookies had no power over me for the first time in my life. It was incredibly empowering. I am convinced it has something to do with how our brain and our chemestry is programmed.

BUT THAT'S ALL CHANGED NOW!!
I hit my goal weight and a week later my sister went into the hospital. I'm sad to say that I had some donuts, ice cream, and other stuff. We almost lost her, and I kinda went nuts. Every single day I weighed myself, and I did not go up. For 3 weeks or more it was up 2, and I was more strict, down 2.

Now I am trying to get back on the wagon for good. I worked too hard to throw it all away the first month I arrive.

THE CRAVINGS ARE TORTURE!!![I]
Each day, each moment, I crave, strongly, food, and especially sweets like ice cream or cookies. My GOD, now I remember the hell I lived with all those years of dieting with other diets!!! How did I ever live through that hell?

So, here I am on day, ummm, crap, only day 3. I'd kill for a huge ice cream cone. However, I know that if I make it to 2 weeks with no sugar, and keep my carbs low, my body will get back to being a sane vessel and I will not live through this torture each long, long day.

This is definately a learning process. People, when you get to your goal weight, tread VERY VERY carefully. It's very challenging.

ian559 Thu, Oct-02-03 06:37

The power of the carb is lost on me now. I can cook anything for others without the any temptation to taste it. In my job I have to taste things and I put it in my mouth then spit it out and rinse with water right away. Most things I make dont have to be tasted but sauces need tasting sometimes.
I did a weeding cake for 300 last week and did not even taste the icing!!!!! To me it smelled sick sweet.
This week I had to do a lasanga dinner for 50 and I thought that would kill me. But it was fine, no cravings. In the past it was one of my favorite foods.
When I lost all my weight last time on this plan I did not learn how to deal with my carb addiction. This time is what I focus on and its great.