Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Did Anyone Watch 60 Min. II last night? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130467)

Frederick Thu, Aug-14-03 10:47

in my view...

In my view, there is no force more overwhelming and powerful than that of the interminable human spirit. The heritage and birthright of each us is bequeathed from our ancestors the one trait which separates us from every other species on Earth making us truly unique—that when our species puts our minds to accomplish an objective, anything and everything is within our grasp.

In our evolution, we have managed to understand the laws of the Universe using physics, mathematics, chemistry, and all the other natural sciences to improve and enhance our lives bending the laws of the Universe to do our bidding. People long ago somehow managed to build the great pyramids; the Romans built the great Coliseum in an era seemingly impossible for such structures; the Chinese built the Great Wall of China; we’ve put a man on the man and returned him safely; we’ve split the atom and have begun exploring matter and anti-matter propulsion systems which will take us farther in the Universe than we’d ever expect possible.

We are powerless to control our weights? Our human spirit, which has accomplished so much, is utterly powerless at regulating calorie intake and energy expenditure? That somehow our will is insufficient for the task?

Talk about a notion that is completely utterly ridiculous, laughable, and an insult to the peerless omnipotence of the human spirit.

With kindest regards,

Frederick

ImHere Thu, Aug-14-03 11:17

I was one of those "skinny" people who fought to put on weight up until 6 years ago when I got ill. If I have a "set" weight then why have I had such a difficult time taking off the 75+ pounds that I put on while undergoing medical treatments? Wouldn't it be logical to assume that because I was 120lbs when I got ill that once the medications and medical condition cleared up I'd go back to 120lbs?

BTW: I worked very hard to reach 120lbs and didn't reach it until after my 3rd pregnancy at the age of 33. That is my genetic make-up and I know it is because all 3 of my children have the same problem.

I don't think there is any one answer to weight. I believe that each case is individual and that each of us needs to know ourselves and our bodies and feel comfortable making our own decisions about what actions are right for us.

max Thu, Aug-14-03 11:49

A word of caution. This WOE is wonderful but don't fool yourself. The moment you go back to your former eating patterns you'll regain weight so fast your head will spin.

My own experience has taught me that my body has certain 'thresholds' that it will fight to maintain. The point is though, that with consistent effort, over time you can pursuade your body to reasses & reset this threshold.

Re exercise : the body is ungrateful, if you get used to exercising 6 days a weekm then cut back to 2, you will regain. Again, that's been my experience.

..Max..