Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I am done with atkins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=129748)

Shellyf34 Mon, Aug-11-03 13:25

A pound a week is just that - an average. Four or so pounds a month is not abnormal at all. The first time I did Atkins, I was just overweight, not obese. I lost 35 pounds in six months, that is an average of about 5.5 pounds a month, not uncommon when doing Atkins. Yes, I had stalls of up to five weeks, but whooshes as well, hence the term AVERAGE.

I have now been back on Atkins 14 weeks. Guess what? I have lost 14.5 pounds. An AVERAGE of about a pound a week. Yes, it stops for a couple weeks then two or so pounds go away and so on. Any nutritionist will tell you that a pound a week is average and healthy on any weightloss plan. More than that is unusual and less than that is definitely common, but a pound is about average.

lkonzelman Mon, Aug-11-03 13:27

This is not a fast weightloss diet this is a healthy way to eat everyday whenever you are hungry and to be satisfied while SLOWLY get to your goal weight.

The slowly teaches you to eat right and patience so this time you keep it off. You will not lose weight everyday. Your body will get into natural stalls where it needs to catch up with the weight it has lost. It is good to take measurements now because usually in a stall (4 weeks of no weightloss) you usually are still losing inches.

Realistic weightloss expectations are 10% of your goal of weight to lose is usually lost during induction then 5% of the remaining weight to lose approx every month.

Isiar Mon, Aug-11-03 13:39

Darlene
When I read your post I thought that it could be posted by me. I started by june 9th and my weight records could be very discouraging
w1 -4.5
w2 -4
w3 -1
w4 +0.5
w5 +1
w6 -4.5
w7 +1
w8 +1
w9 -1
...and that is without cheating and being at induction the 9 weeks. Also, the boost of energy many people talk never happened to me.
That zig zag pattern reminds the same when I measure myself.
My thyroid was removed some years ago and I guess
that fact is slowing the weight loss
Although, last week I tried an old pair of jeans a size smaller and they fit right and today I´m wearing a dress that I couldnt use before...so that;s enough for me to continue, no matter what the weight - or the measure tape-indicates.
I know the process could have some discouraging moments but maybe our bodies deserves more time to adjust to the weight loss and we must celebrate little victories to keep going.
I wish you the best, Isiar

max Mon, Aug-11-03 15:39

Simple math:
10 lbs in 8 weeks = 5lbs per month.

Three years since last daughter = 36mths = 180lbs.

With 65lbs to go you would have met goal THREE times since the birth of your daughter.

Gwyn Tue, Aug-12-03 01:04

I too have only lost 10 pounds in 8 weeks. And I only recently broke a long stall. Sometimes, people lose weight like that...the scale barely moves, and then *whoosh* three or four pounds come off overnight. But I am sticking with this WOE because I like the food and because I don't feel hungry all the time (like I did with a low-fat diet).

-G.

p.s. Don't forget to let the tape measure take some stats for you, too. Don't always rely upon the scale!

monster66 Tue, Aug-12-03 05:36

Hi Darlene,
I lost like you did on Induction and then stopped. I only lost 6 lbs. and then nothing for several weeks. I found I had to tweek the fat and protein intake for me to lose weight. I had to up my fat intake to around 70% and me calories stayed around 1500 and I have steadily lost since the 2-3 lbs per week. Good luck in whatever you try. It has to be something you are comfortable with for it to work for you!! Donnie

fairchild Tue, Aug-12-03 06:11

Hi Darlene,
I understand that the slow loss combined with the prohibitions on food make for an equation that is negative and makes you want to move on! No matter how happy other people are losing a pound a week, you may be frustrated and rightly so. There is a lot of sacrifice going on here, and you are not feeling the payout for that sacrifice so you want to move onto something that works faster. Thats totally OK, but let me tell you that this plan combined with general weight loss principles can work faster for those who want it to.
My suggestions: do what you would do under any weight loss plan- exercise more and eat less. That will speed up weight loss and most importantly thats what any plan will get you to do its the only way to lose weight. So why not start decreasing by 20% the food you are eating on Atkins, slowly work up to a 50% decrease. in the same line of reasoning increase exercise by 20% and work up to a 50% increase in exercise. That will get you to goal faster, and you have every right to want that. Each of us is different and our needs are different, you can stay on Atkins and get faster results if you wish, so if you do go for it!

Pancho Tue, Aug-12-03 10:14

Hi:

If you've been convinced to give Atkins a bit longer, then do so. BUT, if you are still unsure what you want to do, you may want to look into SugarBusters. You can check out www.prettyimpressivestuff.com/sugarbusters or the Sugarbusters site, or get the book.

I was 152 pounds 7 months after giving birth. I started Atkins in March and did it for 2 months. I lost 10-12 pounds, but they were very touchy pounds. I went on vacation and had a sandwich, FF and ice cream and gained five pounds. I decided to look for a long-term solution for myself, and Atkins wasn't it. I agree with the low-carb notion, but I don't see anything wrong with naturally occuring carbs such as those in fruit and dairy products and I think that limited whole grains is very good for you. I started SB on May 1st and by July 1st, I was down to 125 pounds. I have fluctuated between 125-127 pounds for the past 1 1/2 months (my goal was 130). I even splurge a little now and then, but don't really feel the need to with the allowances in this diet. SB basically is a no sugar diet (nothing over 3g) unless it is a naturally occuring sugar (such as those in fruit and dairy). You are allowed 2-3 starchy carbs per day (these have to be whole grain foods such as bread, pitas, pasta, rice, etc...). You are allowed 2-3 fruits per day and some dairy products. You are not allowed certain fruits & veggies such as pineapple, watermelon, bananas or beets. There's a bit more to it, but a pretty simple program to follow. I know that I have gotten my metabolism where it needs to be now, and have the willpower I need to eat this way forever. It was a very positive switch for me.

Men always lose faster than women; they have more muscle tone per pound than we do and we have all the hormonal stuff that comes with being a woman.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

rishamoon Tue, Aug-12-03 10:54

Thyroid has been mentioned a couple times. I just want to stress that if you feel your metabolism has been out of whack since the birth of your child, PLEASE consider getting your thyroid checked. Pregnancy is notorious for causing thyroid problems (or accentuating thyroid problems that you didn't know about before). If your thyroid is not functioning properly, you will not be able to loose much more than water weight on ANY diet. And it is very bad for your body over all, as the cells can not properly perform their functions if your throid hormones are low.

armywife3 Sat, Aug-16-03 01:48

They say it is average to lose 1-2 pounds a week. So 5 pounds a month is pretty much right on. A lot of people lost fast, but not everyone. Like you said, as you get older your metabolism slows down and also after having kids. That is going to be the case on any diet. Just because you change diets won't change the scientific facts that make this diet work and others not work. Somersizing however is a good version of low carbing. Give it a whirl and see how it works but don't get discouraged b/c you are a slow loser. Don't you remember the section in the Atkins book about the fast loser and the slow loser. He said this happens all the time. 5 pounds a month is 60 pounds in one year. You could either be still overweight in a year from now or at goal. Which would you rather be? What's a year really in the long run?

gerriz Mon, Aug-18-03 16:39

Hi Darlene, I feel your disappointment, I lost 13 lbs on 2 weeks of induction and in the 14 weeks since then I've only lost an additional 7 lbs,in spite of being very good and not cheating. The only thing is I do feel so much better since going lo carb that I don't want to quit that. I am going to try the South Beach Diet, very similar but lower fat (which I'm concerned about on Atkins) and it allows more hi fiber carbs, including fruit and whole wheat products. Maybe this will get me going again in the right direction. I just have a hard time looking at a nice crisp apple and a glob of fat and trying to convince myself the apple is bad for me and the fat is good.