Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   cinnamon breakfast cake! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126696)

diemde Sat, Aug-23-03 06:46

Any suggestings for reducing the egg count? I can probably get away with 1 egg (DD is allergic to eggs), but 3 is too many. Would it hold together and taste ok with just one? Thanks!

liftnlady Wed, May-12-04 21:01

sounds good I will have to add it to the menu plan !!

imlosingit Thu, May-13-04 21:21

Does this taste anything like a cinnamon roll?

nitrovixen Fri, May-14-04 00:01

no, not really. But you might like it anyway, its very tasty

GeoUSA Tue, May-18-04 06:52

Typically whey protein (especially flavored) is used for making protein shakes or smoothies and is often available in many flavors at health food stores and GNC. They can be pricey. I buy an unflavored type for general baking -- it only has 1 carb per 1/3 cup.

The best deal I have found on the flavored type is at Costco in the pharmacy section. It's a GIANT tub for about $24. They have vanilla and chocolate flavors. So far I have just purchased vanilla and it is very good blended with strawberrys and milk or water to make a smoothie. It smells delicious -- like fresh baked waffle cones but does come in at 3 carbs per 1/3 cup. Dana Carbender's 500 recipe cookbook uses vanilla whey protein for many low carb baked goods. If you haven't checked out her site, it's a good read at: http://www.holdthetoast.com. If I were trying to sell someone on low carb, I think I would point them to her site as a good, free place to start.

missymagoo Sun, Apr-02-06 17:29

hi everyone. this sounds pretty good to make. i do not care much for protien powders . is this a better vannilla protein powder whey? most i have tried, i usaully gag on and throw it out. i would like to try it again. sue

java mama Sat, Jan-09-10 19:20

I use Jay Robb whey protein. 0 carbs and sugar and is made with Stevia!

Shyvas Sun, Jan-10-10 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandm621
What can use instead of cream of tartar?

I assume that you don't have it as a stored ingredient ?

You can easily subsitute c of t with equal amounts of cider vinegar and lemon juice. You would need 1/8 tsp for 1 egg white thus in this recipe 3/8 = approx 3/4 tsp.

Shyvas Sun, Jan-10-10 03:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandm621
What can use instead of cream of tartar?

I gather that you don't have cream of tartar stored in your cupboard.

You can use part cider vinegar and lemon juice as a subsitute. Per egg who need 1/8 tsp which in this case would be approx. 3/4 tsp of vinegar/lemon juice.

GlendaRC Sun, Jan-10-10 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas
I gather that you don't have cream of tartar stored in your cupboard.

You can use part cider vinegar and lemon juice as a subsitute. Per egg who need 1/8 tsp which in this case would be approx. 3/4 tsp of vinegar/lemon juice.

Oops ... 3 x 1/8 = 3/8 or a little under 1/2 tsp. :wave:

Personally, if I didn't have any cream of tartar, I'd just leave it out. I don't think you'd notice the difference in a recipe like this.

Shyvas Sun, Jan-10-10 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
Oops ... 3 x 1/8 = 3/8 or a little under 1/2 tsp. :wave:

Personally, if I didn't have any cream of tartar, I'd just leave it out. I don't think you'd notice the difference in a recipe like this.

:lol: I was never good at maths.

Iowagirl Sat, Jan-16-10 07:13

The pumpkin version sounds awesome!

gweny70 Wed, Oct-27-10 06:59

want to try this!

gweny70 Wed, Nov-16-11 10:09

Ok, over a year later and I still haven't tried this recipe. Think I will try it out this weekend!!

Buttoni Wed, Nov-16-11 20:54

I believe I made Suzanne's cinnamon cake last year and it came out quite good. I just used whatever vanilla whey protein I had at the time as I recall, but most likely Body Fortress from Walmart.