Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Emotional Issues & Body Image (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Gut-twisting anxiety (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126498)

LovableLC Mon, Aug-04-03 23:45

The only thing I have found that helps with extreme anxiety is klonopin. For the first time I was able to go to the mall tonight without breaking out in sweats and feeling like I was going to pass out and throw up.

acohn Tue, Aug-05-03 11:03

Thanks all for sharing your experience. I've left phone messages for therapists in my area who specialize in treating anxiety disorders.

greenman Tue, Aug-05-03 15:03

Hello,
I am a new user -- just signed up today. I also have a history of dealing with depression/anxiety and ADD. I am taking trazadone and concerta. About two weeks ago my psychiatrist suggested that I also try Lexapro -- a new derivative or celexa. I am feeling like the combination of concerta and lexapro is def raising my anxiety levels. I think the combo must be doing something to my blood pressure and similates the same kind of phsyical symptoms I have from heightened anxiety. I am wondering if this might also be what is happening to you Acohn? Even if you have stopped taking the combination of meds -- Do you think it possible that your body is still in the process of rebalancing things?

greenman Tue, Aug-05-03 15:07

Also -- I switched counselors about six months ago to a therapist who specializes in cognitive-behavioral therapy to treat my anxiety. This has really made a great deal of difference for me -- I find that this approach has really helped me get a handle on my school related anxiety in a way that more traditional therapy did not address. I would encourage anyone dealing with anxiety to learn more about cognitive behavioral therapy!

acohn Tue, Aug-05-03 15:37

greenman,

I stopped my Concerta for 10 days to see if it would lower my pulse or my anxiety. My pulse went from 90 to 78, but the anxiety stayed high. So, I don't think that the Concerta was the primary cause of my anxiety. I'm trying Stratera now for my ADD, and so far, it's not effective. Since Celexa and Lexapro are both SSRIs, one would think the drug would help reduce, not heighten anxiety.

I just made an initial app't. for next Mon. with a therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders, including CBT. We'll see how that goes.

grahamgirl Tue, Aug-05-03 21:23

I've struggled w/ depression for years, but then a year ago my body learned a new trick - panic. :rolleyes: I started on Celexa - it did not help a lot. I then switched to Lexapro and have taken it ~ 9 months. Lexapro has helped me significantly and (so far) without the nightmares I experienced with Prozac, Paxil, & Zoloft.

Hope you find some relief soon.

skeeweeaka Tue, Aug-05-03 22:36

Internet Search For Holistic Psychologists...

Well it's been a while, but somehow there was a site that listed various types of doctors.....I 'm sure I was doing a bipolar search of some sort.. I remember clicking on holistic psychiatrist and it gave me names of those in my area....

I'm sure it was an AMA site of some sort...but it's been a year so I can't quite remember....but she is terrific... She's certified and all...very holistic....very intelligent...oddly enough she also has a law degree lol.

Sorry I couldn't help much but I'm sure I did a psychologist search....try it...

acohn Wed, Aug-06-03 10:00

skeeweeaka,

I used the ADAA site's professional listings search tool to find the person I'll see next week. Thanks for the inspiration to use the internet.