Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Parenting & Pregnancy (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   My Kids HATE Low carb Meals Any Suggestions? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=124183)

AntiM Sun, Aug-17-03 13:49

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that other parents agree that if they're not fat then don't restrict anything

A little off the topic...

I have to respond to this because while I respect all the parent's opinions on this thread, I also know that my weight is partly due to the well meaning food restrictions I experienced growing up. Don't get me wrong, my body weight is completely my responsibility, but just as genetics play a role, so do the early diet patterns.

I was a fat toddler in an obese family, and by age 5 my Mom had me weighing in at WW. In third grade, our family physician had me zipping along on amphetamines. I'm sure had WLS been an option in the '70's, my parents would have arranged for me to have the surgery. Every bite that entered my mouth was monitored and measured, yet I still gained weight. I dieting my way up to 300 pounds by my high school graduation, and did not stop this trend until I got out of my parent's house and discovered size acceptance. Finally, I was eating like a normal person and my weight stabilized.

I feel the diet mentality affected more than my body. The subconscious messages I received as my normal weight brother was encouraged to have seconds, while my initial portions were 1/3 of his and I was limited to that alone was excruciating. I remember feeling like he was far more valued, and as a thin child, he was often praised for his slender form - something he didn't earn, it was simply a natural expression of his physiology.

I encourage all parents to look at what messages you are sending your overweight kids. I guess my message is ... every child deserves to eat a healthy, well balanced diet. Restricting them from eating wholesome foods can backfire.

I personally think the solution is to keep the junk food out the house (Lord knows they'll have access to it in the greater world) and for physical activity to be strongly encouraged.

And you must all take this with a grain of salt, since I don't have kids of my own and can't know how difficult it is to be a parent.

Optimist Sun, Aug-17-03 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLiz
LOL - it's a bird of some sort - don't know if it really eats a lot or not, but here in U.K. that's a common expression. (in fact I only think it's a bird, don't really know!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I'm sure they eat low carb though! Liz

:lol: Thanks, Liz!!:lol:

kaeleen Wed, Aug-20-03 08:33

Like most ot the other posters, I make lc meals and then have soem side carbs for the rest of the family. I have my spaghetti sauce on top of green beans while they have noodles etc But I understand your frustration. My 12 year old eats at his friend's houses alot. I buy the kids thier KD, frozen pizza and ramen noodles. I don't like that stuff so im not tempted to eat it. But they are too lazy to make it.
I just gave up. they either eat the healthy food I cook or go hungry if they cant be bothered to make soemthing for themselves. The kids are healthy and don't have weight problems. Good luck trying to get your kids to cook. If you cant microwave it, mine aren't interested.

Nibby Thu, Aug-21-03 08:34

Everyones ideas here have inspired me to not buy Little Debbies, Candy, Soda or snack chips etc anymore.
I do compromise with the kids now on ice cream and kool aid and they still get pasta, potatos, noodles and bread.
Of course my 17 year old now says there is nothing to eat in the house but he is just too lazy to make something himself.
Ny youngest who is now 13 has expressed an intrest in low carbing somewhat and I told him I would let him decide if he wanted to and to what extent. I've taken away most of the "bad" food so I'll let him decide about the rest.

Nibby

Lisa N Sat, Sep-20-03 19:19

Quote:
I encourage all parents to look at what messages you are sending your overweight kids. I guess my message is ... every child deserves to eat a healthy, well balanced diet. Restricting them from eating wholesome foods can backfire.

I hear what you're saying, AntiM, but I think it's also important as parents to think about the message we're sending our kids by willingly buying junk food and bringing it into the house. No, you can't protect them from it out in the big, bad world, but when you buy it yourself and bring it home/keep it in the house, it sends the message of "These foods are okay". We know those foods aren't healthy and many of us have said as much to our kids. When we bring home foods that we have told our kids that we feel are unhealthy, what kind of message does that send? I know as a kid I would have been confused if my mom told me in one breath that chips, doughnuts, Pop Tarts, etc...were unhealthy and she wasn't going to eat them, but in the next breath told me that I could.
When it comes to fruits, veggies, cheese, yogurt, etc...I don't restrict my kids; they can have as much as they like of any of those. When it comes to foods that have a lot of sugar, white flour and transfats, I definitely restrict them; there's nothing wholseome about those foods!