Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I have had NO weight loss in 1 month now! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=122678)

cincin11 Mon, Jul-14-03 08:30

My first tom was right on time , during induction, but this second one I had cramps probably a week or more before I even got it. I am sure that tom is what made me not lose for so long. And when it finally came ,no cramps. Go figure.
cindy

Luckygurl Mon, Jul-14-03 08:40

I definitely noticed a change in my TOM. My cramps are not as bad, a little PMS the day or 2 days before I have to admit but not so much on the crampy side. I have only been thru 2 TOMs since I started on Atkins, so this next one coming up should be interesting. I just wish I had the UMPH to start a journal, just too much going on in my head and with work to get the ball rolling !

L

tracyw Mon, Jul-14-03 11:23

Hang in there!!

First of all Jennifer, I have about the same amount of weight to lose as you. I started induction on June 25th and have had only a couple of minor slip-ups. I personally don't own a scale and don't intend to. I am looking at how my clothes are fitting me etc... I just know I feel so much better eating this way, and slowly but surely I am shrinking. Really, I can tell! Yesterday I had lunch with my boyfriend's parents and his mom showed me the places she could tell I am losing. Your fat will soften, get squishy- maybe even move around. Try to keep going and not measure the results at this time. Remember that this WILL work. And also think about your energy, your skin and all of the other fabulous benefits of this WOE/WOL.

As far as the TOM issue. I have researched it because I had some midcycle cramping and a bit of breakthrough bleeding along with some serious PMSsy feelings! YUCK!! What I found is that this:
Estrogen is stored in fat so when you start burning your fat- the estrogen is released into your system and causes some changes in your cycle. It's very common and many women have experienced it. So- if your TOM is acting weird- you know you are burning fat and it's working!!
If you are interested in learning more about the effects of low-carbing on TOM- do a search on mid-cycle bleeding (I think that's what I did- you might need to be creative with the searching). I found some old threads that were very reassuring to me.

Hang in there and remember- we are all in it together!

Good low-carb thoughts to all!!

Tracy

Jennifer7 Mon, Jul-14-03 13:25

Thanks to everyone for your advice and good thoughts. I am not giving up. I do log into fitday everyday and exercise fairly regularly. I may not be drinking as much water as I should. It is good to hear that others have experienced the same problems I have. It is interesting that if this was happening on a 'diet' (low fat/calorie) I would have given up long ago because you feel like you are starving yourself. The good thing is that eating low carb doesn't seem like I am depriving myself so at least I am not 'suffering' from the food or lack of it. Just depressed that I haven't dropped 3 dress sizes and been called to model for Vogue yet....

Luckygurl Mon, Jul-14-03 13:46

LOL !! Well hang in there Jennifer, Vogue is on it's way ! I have decided to cut out the nuts - they are not advised on the induction phase, and even though I am in week 7 of Atkins, I would like to lose mroe weight before proceeding to the next level. I am trying to change one thing at a time so i know what worked and what didnt. I read somewhere that upping your carbs and loweing your calories could help. According to fit day I average 1600-1700 cals a day and closer to 10 carbs so it might help to reverse the balance on those 2 for a little. I will keep y'all posted.

L :)

vaporgirl Mon, Jul-14-03 14:17

hi -

like you, i'm experiencing some weight loss frustration - but have realized that inches are disappearing so i'm trying to be patient. remember that it may go more slowly for those of us with only 30 pounds or so to lose. i've found that 1400 cals and just under 20 carbs works best for me. maltitol causes issues so i try to stay away from the bars whenever possible. my biggest challenges are keep that calorie count up, eat regularly and to exercise in this wiltingly hot weather (it's more than 90 degrees here in LA).

i've noticed the tom change too - on the positive side my pms is definately better. used to have one day of depression and that seems to be gone now.

did kind of break ranks this weekend and had a martini (or two) with dinner at the local steak house. i'm sure that didn't help the lack of loss much - but at least i resisted the dessert that everyone else at the table shared!

cb

INTREPID Mon, Jul-14-03 17:42

Remember to use BOTH the scale and tape measure! Be sure to measure Hips, Waist, Chest and Thigh at least.